Thursday 16 March 2023

Read in 2023 - 7: Four Winds Farm

Four Winds Farm
by Mary Louisa Molesworth

It was my third read by this author; you can find my older reviews and some information about Mrs. Molesworth here and here.

First published in 1887, this children's book had elements that reminded me of "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm", which I have read and reviewed earlier this month.

Both stories have a child growing up on a remote farm as their hero or heroine, and both have something particular about them, different from other children. Both children have an important decision to make, and both decide the same way, with the outcome being ultimately happy in both cases.

Other than that, the books differ greatly:

"Four Winds Farm" would not be possible without its element of fairytale, while "Rebecca" has nothing supernatural. Here, the main character is Gratian, a boy of 9 years old, the only child of hard-working farmers, while Rebecca comes from a family who is rich only in the number of their children. Four Winds Farm is located high up on the moors in Northern England (no reference at a specific location is made, but it could be Yorkshire), while Rebecca's story is set in rural and small-town America.

Gratian goes through life quietly and largely content with his lot; he has no siblings or friends other than his parents, the old shepherd and his dog, but that's enough for him. From the day he was born, he has had a special relationship with the four winds constantly blowing about the farm, and by the time he is nine, he realises that he can actually understand their voices.

In more than one instant, the four winds help him; each of them has their own way and personality, but they are sisters, and act as godmothers to Gratian. 

He makes a new friend and finally becomes interested in learning more about the world around him, without forgetting his love of Four Winds Farm, his parents and his four godmothers.

The book is not very long, nor does it make for a challenging read in any way, but I did enjoy the gentle story and quirky, sometimes humorous ideas in it.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a sweet story, Meike. I read a lot of mysteries but sometimes it is nice to read a calm, happy book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It as sweet, and you are right, it is nice to read a calm, happy book every now and then.

      Delete
  2. The author's name rang a bell with me but I could not recall if I actually read something by her myself or just recognised it from your blog. Checked mine, and found my review of "The Carved Lions" from just over a year ago - a story I felt might have served as basis for a fairy tale, but never did take that turn. I was not too impressed with that (and hardly remember it now) so I don't think I'll be trying another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mentioned it, I remember you having written about "The Carved Lions", and in a minute I will go and check your review and my comment to it.
      When I downloaded "Four Winds Farm", it was not because I wanted to read another book by Mrs. Molesworth, but because I liked the sound of the title (there was no description or summary with it at the Kindle shop).

      Delete
  3. ......and Walter Crane was the most amazing artist/illustrator. I treasure my copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses" also with similar beautiful pen and ink illustrations by another great British artist Charles Robinson. Books of that era with those drawings were certainly gorgeous to read and admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, my free Kindle edition came without illustrations, but on doing research for my review, I found the illustrated version at Project Gutenberg (always a good source). The illustrations remind me of pictures of The Waterbabies I have seen; maybe they were by Walter Crane, too?

      Delete