Monday 6 March 2023

Last of February, First of March

This "weekly" only covers four days, because from Friday afternoon, O.K. and I were on a mini break for the weekend, which deserves one or two extra posts.

Monday, the 27th of February, was sunny but very cold; -3C (26.6F) may not seem all that cold, but a sharp wind made being outside really uncomfortable. Seeing the sun from my windows made me want to be out there, but when I finally did leave for my after-work walk, I cut it short and turned home after just half an hour - I usually don't bother going out for anything under an hour, but that was a day where one did not want to be out any longer than necessary.

It was still sunny but cold and windy on Tuesday (Feb. 28), but a tad less so than the day before. Spending my lunch break at my Mum's meant a 10 minute walk there and another 10 minutes back. Being outside felt slightly more pleasant than on Monday, and so I was looking forward to meeting an old school friend after work for a walk round the palace grounds. We live less than a mile apart, but get to see each other only a few times a year, meaning we always have a lot to catch up with.

Wednesday, the 1st of March, was actually the one day of that week I meant to work at the office. But last week's train problems were not sorted yet, and so I decided against it, and continued to work from home instead. It was yet another bit warmer than the previous days, and my sister and I met for a pleasant after-work walk across the fields between Ludwigsburg and Kornwestheim.





Just before 6:00 pm, mere minutes until sunset
It was much milder at 10C (50F) on Thursday (March 2), and I knew exactly what I wanted to do after work: Walk to Benningen. I did that on my "lower" route (I have an "upper" and a "lower" route for that walk), and enjoyed the late afternoon sun during those two hours very much.



Earlier that day, I was upstairs for a chat with my neighbour. Fatma had been in Turkey to visit her elderly parents and her daughter for over a month, and I wanted to hear how her family was and how she had been, how they had fared with the earthquake and so on. 

She looked well, and none of her loved ones was hurt or their houses destroyed, but she said it had been a terrible time - not just the first earthquake, which woke them up in the early morning hours of Feb. 6, but the several quakes afterwards, and the constant fear of it happening again. They spent the first night in the car, and she told me she slept in her day clothes for the next 20 nights, and kept having panic attacs - not so much for herself (I am not afraid of death, she said), but for wanting to protect her family.

Now she is glad to be back here, where she feels much safer with her husband and their younger daughter. There was nothing I could do but listen, of course, and I expressed my relief at her family and friends being alright.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did Fatma a good turn by giving her the opportunity to spill everything out without judgement or inappropriate thoughtless remarks. I am sure that you are a very good listener. Though none of her loved ones died, Fatma will surely remember her earthquake experiences forever - like a recurring nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they came to Germany 5 years ago, Fatma was the only one of her family of four to speak German. From that point on, everything that needed sorting out, all "official" stuff, all the organising rested on her. Both she and her husband are decent, hardworking people (they were teachers in Turkey) but there was only so much he could do to support her, and then there was the issue with their older daughter who was not allowed to stay here but had to move back to Turkey alone because she was legally an adult (18 when they arrived) and did not find a place at university. It has all taken a toll on the family, even though now they are all fine; the older daughter is successfully running her own planning office, the younger one speaks perfect German now, has made friends and will start uni this autumn, and the husband is employed full time.

      Delete
  2. Lovely sunset pictures, Meike! I can never get enough of a lovely sunset!
    So glad you were a good friend and listener to your neighbor Fatma. What a scary experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here about sunsets, Ellen. No two ever look the same.
      The few times in my life when I experienced minor earthquakes were scary enough for me - I don't think I could live in an area where they occur more frequently.

      Delete
  3. It would be good to get news of the earthquake first hand like that - make it feel so much more real. These days we see so much death and destruction on the TV that we become impervious to it if we are not careful.
    Your skies are a joy to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous (Pat?).
      Yes, the bad news on TV seem so remote, but talking to someone who was there (although not in the really badly affected area) makes it more real.

      Delete
  4. Must have been a scary experience for your neighbour - and not what she expected when she went there I suppose! Beautiful sky photos in your post. Here, winter has just returned with not only colder temperatures again, but also snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour expected to spend a month with her parents and seeing her daughter - all of which she did, but it was rather different from Feb. 6 onwards.
      It's cold here, too, and we're back to grey skies after the beautiful sunny days of last week.

      Delete