Thursday 20 July 2023

High Summer Week

On various blogs, we have talked about "high summer" before. In German, "Hochsommer" is right now - it is roughly speaking the month of July, when sumer is (not always) at its hottest. That's certainly true right now!

On Monday, the 10th of July, we had a high of 32C (89.6F) and a mix of sun and clouds. After work (which was unremarkable), my volunteer group was supposed to meet at Kullman's Diner. Unfortunately, we were turned away because we had not booked a table, not having expected that you need to book for four on a Monday evening. In the end, there were only three of us anyway, and we decided to meet at the Irish pub instead. As always, it was nice to sit outside on the market square and enjoy the summer evening along with excellent burgers and refreshing drinks. All three of us chose the vegan option and really liked it.

It was hotter on Tuesday (July 11) at about 35C (95F), and unsuprisingly, there was a thunderstorm late evening, bringing some rain. Because of the heat and the threatening thunderstorm, I did not go for a walk, and the only "exercise" I had were the very short distances between my home, train stations and the office.

Wednesday, the 12th of July, was a little cooler at 27C (80.6F) and windy. I was exhausted from the previous hot days with little sleep, and talking to my colleagues at the office, I wasn't the only one. At 4:00 pm - about an hour earlier than usual - I decided to call it a day and went home, where I did... absolutely nothing. A few times I looked out of my open windows and thought how beautiful the evening light was, and that a walk would probably be a good idea, but I simply could not bring myself to do anything.

After a refreshingly cool night and morning on Thursday (July 13) at 18C (64.4F), the day was no hotter than 27C. Working from home was good. My sister and I met at our Mum's for a pleasant evening on her balcony, enjoying her excellent food and of course each other's company. 

Friday, the 14th of July, was off to a chilly start at 15C (59F), making it easy to let fresh air in and keep the flat cool-ish even when we had 30C (86F) later. I worked at a client's in Stuttgart until 3:00 pm and then rushed home to finish a few tasks and pack my little red suitcase for the weekend. No time for my usual cleaning round - I don't like leaving my flat without having dusted, hoovered and mopped, but in the end nobody cares as there's nobody there when I'm away.

With a delay of 10 minutes, I arrived in Offenburg. O.K. and I enjoyed a meal of salad, bread, assorted cheeses and well chilled rosé on the balcony, and then stayed out there long after dark, looking at the starry sky and trying to work out constellations. I had a hard time finding Casseopeia but finally realised "she" was hidden behind a neighbour's roof - only after I succeeded in spotting my favourite summer constellation was I ready to go to bed.

We were up early-ish on Saturday (July 15) - another wedding to attend. The bride is a member of the village band, and therefore, the entire band were playing at the ceremony, hold outdoors in a nearby village. The sun was beating down, and I felt rather sorry for the groom and the other men in their elegant suits - everybody was dripping with sweat at around 35C (95F), and the cold water bottles provided for the band were gone in no time.

After the ceremony, we moved to a venue up the road for the reception. Everyone was huddled under the parasols to catch at least some shade. Drinks were pleasantly cool, and snacks welcome. When the wedding party started in earnest, most of us (who were not invited) left.

O.K. and I had a little rest at home, trying out a new summer drink (Ramazzotti Fresco) on the balcony, but moved indoors for our evening meal of caprese salad and bread. As on Tuesday, a late thunderstorm brought some rain. 

Both made for a much pleasanter Sunday (July 16, what would have been my parents' 58th wedding anniversary). After a first mug of coffee on the balcony, followed later by fresh fruit and yoghurt, we went for a proper hike - finally! I really missed those long walks/hikes, but over the past weeks, it simply had not been possible, either because it was too hot or we did not have time.

Starting directly from O.K.'s cottage, we walked across the fields to Diersburg and into the woods. Our snacks were eaten at the Pionierstein, before we walked on, taking in the Barack and Handwerkerhütte (both featured in this post) before reaching O.K.'s village again. Exactly 19.19 km later, we were back at the coattage, and for our evening meal, had the tabouleh prepared in the morning along with a bottle of shandy out on the balcony.

On the fields between Hofweier and Diersburg

Pionierstein, where we rested and had our snacks


Cross near the path overlooking Diersburg



Black Forest - not so black!

An inviting grassy path we did not follow this time.

What a wonderful day it had been to end that week of high summer! I so love being in the woods, no matter the time of year, but it was particularly beautiful on that Sunday. Also, it was a lot greener than I had feared after the hot days with so little rain.

11 comments:

  1. Those woods look very inviting and, presumably, it's cooler in the woods too. Oddly coniferous forests which lack a lot of light terrify me. It's a completely irrational fear I've had all my life. I think I could cope with the ones you are usually walking in and, of course, I'm not afraid if I'm in company. The evil spirits only prey on people who are alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, that (to benefit from the cooler woods) was one reason for having the main part of our hike there, and it was really very pleasant - my few photos can hardly convey that.
      Yes, you have mentioned before that you have an irrational fear of walking in coniferous forests. But the Black Forest is truly "black" as in dark and deep only in very few parts; most of it is a well kept plantation and not a naturally grown forest, the work place for many people and a tourist attraction.

      Delete
  2. Those are some awfully high temperatures for your part of the world. This whole week has been dreadfully hot and humid here with "real feel" temperatures up to 105 degrees. We're also having poor air quality warnings because of the Canadian wildfires (so far away!). Needless to say, outdoor exercise is off limits. Ugh. I'm dreaming of fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor air quality here is mostly due to car fumes and factories; I am, after all, in one of Germany's most densely populated and highly industrialised areas.
      I am not up to date with current news and didn't know that the Canadian wildfires are still so huge as to have an impact even as far away as your part of the world.

      Delete
  3. Last night I watched amusing videos, *AI generated Audiobook.* YouTube.
    It occurred to me that you would be the perfect AI, Meike, passing the Turin Test.

    These Black Forest rambles are idyllic - the enchanting grassy path you did not follow.
    I never visited a blog till lockdown so it was strange seeing people I would never meet.

    Dopes believe David Icke when he says the universe is a simulation.
    Much foolishness will be spoken about AI too.
    *What pleases the higher beings ? (37/122).* AI generated audiobook.
    The beautiful mutant spouts as much nonsense as Mr Icke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to never have taken the Turin Test, and I assure you that whatever "I" there is in my brain, it is definitely not "A" - all natural.

      That grassy path was hard to resist! I think we did walk there a couple of years or so ago, but can't really remember where exactly it leads to or, rather, where it joins the more familiar paths again.

      Delete
    2. You pass the Nietzsche Test - human, all too human.
      My resistance to email may in part be unease in talking to aliases & cyphers.
      Robin Williams's The Night Listener told of a boy who may never have existed.
      Using my real name has its roots in A.S. Byatt's fear of solipsism and in this film.
      1966 I heard Hank Jankowski's A Walk in the Black Forest on a Belgium bus.
      We were on the Dutch frontier, a country I fell for. The boy was really me.

      Delete
  4. I'm spoiled here with air conditioning when it is hot outside. I didn't realize that you don't have any A/C there. It's been to warm to walk outside here too but my sister and I will meet at the gym for a walk inside the air conditioned comfort there. Not at all scenic but better than nothing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being used to much A/C, I don't find it all that comfortable most of the time. Often on the long-distance trains, it is turned so low that I need a jumper or cardigan to cover bare arms - and then stepping off the train feels like walking against a hot brick wall!
      Nobody I know has A/C in their homes here - until not so many years ago, it simply wasn't necessary, as our summers were really hot only for a few days at most. Now most modern office buildings and nearly all shops have A/C, just not private homes.

      Delete
  5. I am sure you know this but you truly do live in such a wonderful spot! You make such a case for visiting Germany! How pretty that wedding must have been although I do feel sorry for those in the wedding party if it was so hot. I do know hot!
    If we didn't have the AC, we would melt here in Georgia, I think! We didn't have it as children but I really don't think it was as hot then, but it is now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know how lucky I am, Kay! The region where I live is much more densely built up and with a lot of heavy industry and motorways than where O.K. lives. I do love my region, too; it is my first home after all. But O.K. has the Black Forest, and Ludwigsburg has no woods worth mentioning.
      The wedding was pretty, with bride and groom making a very beautiful couple, and most of the guest, too :-)

      Delete