Thursday 27 July 2023

Time With Friends

On Tuesday, a couple of friends came visiting. One of the nice things about having ‚our‘ cottage to ourselves is that we can have visitors and offer them anything from a cup of tea to a meal.
I have known N from the first time I met Steve, my late husband. He and N were at school together and remained close friends until Steve‘s death. When Steve moved to Germany to live with me, every year when we were in Yorkshire we made sure to meet up, and so we met F, too, shortly after they got together.
They are lovely people, good friends with generous hearts, great sense of humour and an intelligent view of life.

They arrived mid-morning, and after a cuppa and a chat, we walked into town and visited the cathedral. No matter how many times I have been in that magnificent building, here is always something I have not spotted before, or not known.

Lunch at our favourite eating place (Oliver‘s Pantry) followed, and here comes the slightly spooky bit: We were shown to the same table in the sunny backyard as last year and, when we prepared to have our photo taken, we realised that we‘d been there on the same date the year before, and had the photo taken within 10 minutes from last year! (I even wore the same cardigan 🤣)

The food was as good as it always is in that place, and we went back to ours for another cuppa before they set off home to South Yorkshire. 

My sister and I then walked to the Leper Chapel, which we found open. No photos this time, but you can find several on my blog if you type Leper Chapel in the search box on the top left corner of this page.

A little rest at the cottage followed, then our evening meal. After a little drizzle cleared up, the beautiful evening light lured us out for another quick walk around the block (not that Ripon really has ‚blocks‘, but you get the idea).

That was Day Two of our holiday.

16 comments:

  1. How lovely that you have kept in touch with N over the years. N & F must like you as it is a fairly long drive up to Ripon from South Yorkshire. I have only visited Ripon Cathedral once but it is indeed magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it takes them under 2 hours by car to Ripon from where they live. It would take us much more than that by buses and trains, that‘s for sure. It‘s always a pleasure to see them, and we‘d certainly meet more often if we were here more than once a year.

      Delete
  2. In the 'old' - pre-immobile days - I visited Ripon often - especially the cathedral - and the street leading up to the front of the building which used to have interestingshops. Please tell me where your favourite eating place is- I haven't heard of it but I still get taken by friends because I bought my hearig aids there. It would be good to take them to your retaurant for something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have come here regularly for your hearing aids, Pat. The street leading to the cathedral (Kirkgate) still has some nice shops and several restaurants and cafés. Oliver‘s Pantry is not far from the market square, on 86a North Street. They are very dog friendly there, and we love watching the dogs (and their owners) when we are there for a meal.

      Delete
  3. Ripon is your Great Good Place in the words of Henry James.
    Dining at the same table, on the same day as last year, is a sign of Something Good.
    When I visit Ripon I shall have Lunch or Afternoon Tea at Oliver's.
    A Bostonian expat, James liked the English habit of Afternoon Tea, and conversation.

    Steve moved to Germany with you. A romantic story.
    Steve was in touch with his old friend N. A school story.
    Life must be lived forward but can only be understood backwards said Kierkegaard.
    Ripon Cathedral is just the place to remember all the good people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ripon Cathedral has a lot to offer. Even people who (unlike me) don‘t believe are taken in by its atmosphere. Unfortunately, this year our stay does not coincide with any concert. We so loved last year‘s lunchtime concert (one lady and her harp), and an evening organ concert with wine and nibbles a few years back.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely day with old friends. I've never been to that area of England but you always make it sound very interesting Meike. I do enjoy returning to favorite places. These days it's great knowing they remain when so many shops, restaurants etc. are closing down - well over here they are!!!
    Enjoy your vacation dear.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!
      It is the only part of England I know reasonably well. Like you, I enjoy returning to favourite places. In Ripon, many shops and restauants etc. have been closing over the years we have been coming here regularly, but some new ones have appeared, too.

      Delete
  5. How nice that you have kept in touch with Steve's friends all these years. I am so glad you are having such a pleasant time, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! There is another old school friend of Steve‘s who lives not far from N and F, but these days we are down to exchanging Christmas cards. Much as we want to, we can not always keep in touch with everybody.

      Delete
  6. Old friends are the best. However long it's been, you can take up a conversation as though it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I have friends back home whom I‘ve known since kindergarden times. You have common ground with such friends even if your lives have taken very different directions.

      Delete
  7. Ripon Cathedral, you know I want to see it! So lovely that you were able to meet up with good friends. Same table and nearly same time as before with you wearing same shirt? Makes me smile at the sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see them, and we have two more friends to meet before our holiday is over. Sadly, our friend George Pickles died unexpectedly last year, only a few weeks after we had met up with him and Lilian. We thought of him when we walked past The Water Rat yesterday, the place we usually had lunch together.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love meeting up with old friends I haven't seen for quite a while, so i am happy you were able to meet yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only once a year that we can see our friends and family here in Yorkshire, and I am always glad when it works out. During the pandemic, I spoke to N and F a few times via zoom, but not with my mother-in-law or other family; only on the phone.

      Delete