Thursday 6 July 2023

Read in 2023: 16, 17, 18, 19

My recent reads were quite mixed. I'll try to keep this short, also because it is hard these days to find the time for posting.

 

#16: Beware The Past - Detective Mark Ballard Mystery, Part 1

Joy Ellis

You already know that I often read ebooks that are first in a series, made available for free so that the reader gets interested in the next book and ends up buying the series. Nothing wrong with that, but in this case, it has not worked for me.

The story was gripping enough, and the twist towards the end truly unexpected. But it was all rather dark, and the main characters and their various personal problems simply didn't quite "do" it for me.

When Mark Ballard was just a rookie, three boys were murdered. As it was him who found one of the victims, and the murderer was never caught, he feels personally responsible and plans on working on the cold case in his retirement.

Before that can happen, though, another dead boy is found, and it looks very much like it is the work of the same murderer. Could it be that the main suspect from decades back is still around? And who can know so much personal detail about Mark himself, and why do they want to get to him at all cost?

The setting is the Lincolnshire Fens, an area I am not familiar with but found rather intriguing. As for the rest, of course even though the hero's life is in danger, with it being #1 of a series, the reader knows exactly that the hero won't die - which takes away some of the tension.

Some characters were quite likeable, but as I said, none of the cast kept me want to read more. The author's website is well made and worth a visit, even if my review of this book is not overly enthusiastic.

 

#17: The Watcher on the Hill

Samuel J. White

A short ghost story, and actually the first story I have read that deals with Covid and how the pandemic regulations have affected people's lives. 

It is not a scary story, just sad, and in my opinion it captures the setting and the feelings of the main character quite well.

The author was born in 1985. He does not appear to have his own website, but he is present on facebook, instagram and twitter. You can also read about him on goodreads.


# 18: 101 North Yorkshire Gems

Mark Abel

A travel guide of sorts, this collection of gems dotted around North Yorkshire includes places as well known to me as Ripon, Whitby, Richmond, Knaresborough and Scarborough, but also places I have never been to and would love to visit. 

Who knows; some of those gems might be a possibility for one of my next Yorkshire holidays.

Information is concise and clear, with humour thrown in (sometimes quite unexpectedly). As I will have my kindle with me, this ebook will probably come in useful when in less than three weeks my sister and I are going to be in Yorkshire.

 

# 19: Bodies, Baddies and a Crabby Tabby - A Bliss Bay Village Mystery Book 1

Sherri Bryan

I really enjoyed this one, but funnily enough, the cat had not much to do with it (and I do love cats). Maybe it was the village setting I liked, or the way the main characters interact, or how the author sprinkles each conversation and each scene with detail that makes it easy to picture everything.

Circumstances make the heroine return to her home village, where she does not only catch up with old friends (and enemies), but finds herself sleuthing in the company of her uncle (a truly delightful character) when several murders happen in the usually so tranquil and peaceful area. 

A proper "Cozy Mystery" that leaves plenty of room left for follow-ups, and I would not mind reading more of the series.

The author's website is here.

8 comments:

  1. I've read some of the other Joy Ellis series also set in the fens or Norfolk coast (can't remember which) but they got a bit vicious and dark. Don't think I will bother with this new - sounds so similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit vicious and dark - that sounds very much like it, Sue.

      Delete
  2. I just finished a good one by William Landay "All that is mine I carry with me" which was hard to put down. Right now I am reading Barbara Kingsolver "Unsheltered" which bounces around a bit in time but is keeping me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those tips, Ellen. I have never heard of either author, but I am always on the lookout for a good read.

      Delete
  3. Mysteries have never been my favorite for some reason. I recently read "A Vicarage Family" by Noel Streatfield. I think you'd like that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! The author's name rings a bell, but I don't think I have actually read anything by him. I shall look it up.

      Delete
    2. Oh - it's a lady! I thought Noel was a male first name, and Noelle the female equivalent.

      Delete
    3. ...and I have indeed read one of her books, about 10 years ago! The review is here, if you're interested:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2013/08/read-in-2013-32-tea-by-nursery-fire.html

      Delete