Thursday 25 October 2012

Fashion Calendar: October

Several months ago, I showed you two of my most used running outfits here. In that post, I also mentioned that I never run in the colder half of the year.
Well, that was true until this year, when, unlike what used to be my habit in previous years, I stopped running relatively soon after the CityRun (which was in July) and never ran any later than September, which can still be as warm as summer in my part of the world.

This year, I took up running once a week with V, an American lady I know through her husband - he is part of my pub quiz team, and they live in the neighbourhood, so that V and I don't have to "go" anywhere but can simply start running directly from the front door, out on the fields for our usual round, or stay in the neighbourhood (which is advisable now when it is dark by the time we meet after work).

We've been pretty regular with this, and as long as it does not rain or snow or the temperature gets below a certain point when breathing in the cold air can become painful, we are determined to keep it up.
Until recently, the outfits I showed you in May were still warm enough, but last week I knew the time had come for me to invest in a pair of long running pants.

On that day, I happened to mention it to my sister who I'd met in town for lunch, and she told me that Tchibo, a chain of coffee shops all over Germany, had running clothes on offer right now. (You know what coffee shops are like these days - you can get anything there from jewellery to travel arrangements, from mobile phone contracts to frying pans and, yes, even coffee!) So we went to the shop after our lunch and I found this pair of long, thermal running pants for just under 20 €:


They are very comfortable, the inside is nice and soft on the skin, and they have reflecting bits that should in theory make car drivers notice you when you run close to a road (which we can not always avoid). I wore them the same day (or rather, night) for the first time and am very happy with them. What a bargain!
Actually, we were scheduled for our weekly run tonight, but I had to tell V that I can't make it tonight; last week I caught a nasty cough from someone I met at a fair and have been coughing all week, not sleeping properly because of it and finding it quite exhausting and difficult to talk (which is why my GP has put me on sick notice for the entire week).
I am confident, though, that I'll be fine in a few days, and next week, will be able to wear my brand new running pants again :-)

17 comments:

  1. Looks like a good idea with those reflective patches. It's so easy to forget how quickly one becomes invisible to drivers when darkness falls, even in town where there are streetlights. And especially in dark clothing. (I don't run, but I walk. I have at least one reflex tag in every coat or jacket but it's easy to forget to take them out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first (and, so far, only) time I've been running in those new pants, we came across a couple walking their dogs on the unlit fields. They were carrying a torch and saw us thanks to the reflecting bits.

      Delete
  2. Hello Meike:
    Alas, this is an area totally outside of our experiences and one upon which it would be unwise of us to comment!! But we do hope that you will be fully recovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,
      I hope the same - I am truly itching for some exercise, but it is totally out of the question until the cough is gone.

      Delete
  3. Great looking outfit, Meike. You really should have been a model. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I was quite surprised when you mentioned getting clothes in a coffee shop. I'm used to book shops selling coffee but not the other way around. I wish that more people would make sure that they are visible with hi-vis clothing at night. Years ago a friend hit a lady dressed entirely in black on an unlit road. I've never forgotten the incident (over 30 years ago) so heaven knows what my friend thinks when she drives at night. Keep safe and I hope your cough goes away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one could of course say that it was not very wise of that lady to walk along an unlit road dressed entirely in black. Was her face black, too? Here in Germany, kids are taught to walk on that side of a road facing the oncoming traffic, not with their back to it (presuming there is no pavement), so that they are easier visible to drivers and they themselves can see easier what's coming their way.

      Delete
    2. I was always taught that too Meike. I think serious walkers and joggers do it because, apart from anything else, it makes sense. Of course there are many who lack common sense. The lady involved in my friend's incident was walking away from the car and actually stepped out into the road. She was on her way home from a prayer meeting and in those days dressing entirely in black for church was common amongst older (and some younger) people here on the Island and, oc course, her head would have been covered too.

      Delete
  5. I am quite behind, somehow, in reading your blog! These running pants look really good, and I hope you very soon are well enough to use them. Drink lots of water and make yourself chicken soup. (And eat it! Lots and lots of it!) I liked the orchid guest post because I have three small orchids and have not been all that sure of how to care for them.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinking lots and lots of water and tea these days, Kristi. As for chicken soup - I wouldn't even know how to get started :-D But my Mum made a very delicious soup of carrots and spuds and spiced it nicely with ginger and coconut cream, I could have eaten gallons of that :-)
      Glad you found the orchid guest post useful!

      Delete
  6. I am glad you have some good clothes for running. Also, I like the reflective bits on there so people can see you! Very sensible.
    Hope you are better now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay, I am a bit better but the cough is still present, although the coughing fits are less frequent now. It'll probably take me all of the weekend, too, before I can truly say I am well again.

      Delete
  7. Really like your new running pants! Do you wear a jacket with a 'hoodie' when you are dashing through the streets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On that occasion, I was wearing the red plushy zip-up you can see me holding in the pictures. Sometimes, I wear one of the "hoodies" you can see on the older pictures in my post about running outfits from May. No matter which one, I am always wearing at least two different layers for running, unless it is really warm.

      Delete
  8. sorry to hear about your cough, hope you're well soon
    but glad to hear your doctor gave you time off!
    Nonnie aka Scrappy Grams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma, I am much better already, although talking for more than two minutes still brings about a coughing fit. By Monday, I guess I'll be able to take up my usual number of phone calls again.

      Delete