Monday 1 October 2012

Polenta

Something I had not eaten in... oh, at least ten years: Polenta.
In case you're not familiar with it, Polenta is a dish made of maize/corn (whichever word you prefer) semolina. It is so easy to make even I manage to get it right :-)

It was on offer a few weeks ago at my preferred supermarket (Aldi), and I prepared some Polenta last week when the evenings were already chilly enough for me to feel like cooking.

We had a leafy salad with tomatos and a mixture of pine nuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds with it. Tomato season is actually over in Germany, and I was a bit skeptical about buying these ones coming from a greenhouse in the Netherlands, but they are surprisingly tasty and their scent is very aromatic (I still have two more left).


For the polenta, you need twice the amount of water (in relation to the amount of semolina); salt it, bring it to boil, and stir in the corn/maize semolina. Then leave it on very low heat so that it keeps bubbling every now and then (stay away with your face when you open the lid - it has a tendency to splash upwards), and stir it a few times over the next 15 minutes.


In the meantime, I was making my very basic way of sauce bolognese. All there is to it is frying some minced meat in a pan with a bit of olive oil, and once the minced meat loses the pink colour and turns all brownish, pour the tomato sauce (it is only squashed and sieved tomato, no spices or anything else added) over it, stir, and spice with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you happen to find.
To make it more tasty, of course I could have added garlic and/or onions, but I didn't have either, and the sauce turned out nice nonetheless.


We had the polenta with sauce bolognese on Wednesday night, and on Thursday for my lunch break, I fried the left over polenta in a pan and put an egg over it.

I am sure this won't have been the last time this season I make polenta - quick, easy and filling, just how I like my food :-)

14 comments:

  1. Polenta! What a brilliant idea, Meike. I haven't had it for years, but now it's on my shopping list. thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad my blog was inspirational in that way, Perpetua :-)
      Yes, isn't it just one of those things? Haven't had it for years, but then you remember it, and wonder why it's been so long!

      Delete
  2. Now, this looks really good! And my question to you: does the bag of polenta say "gluten-free"? It should say so since it is made from corn and only corn, I just wondered...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, it doesn't say Gluten-frei on the bag, I've just checked. But I am sure it is, since there is nothing but corn in it.

      Delete
  3. I love polenta! And haven't had it in a long time... We have a recipe for it that uses a good bit of butter and cheese - it is heavenly! I only make it once or twice a year because I want to eat it all in one sitting! ;-)

    Guten Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely, Silke! I know there are some very delicious ways to eat Polenta, apart from the basic recipe which I used. Next time I think I'll try something else :-)

      Delete
  4. I've never really got into cooking polenta, but I need to give it a try just for some variety. I am still getting to grips with couscous actually - shows how unadventurous I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't surprise you to hear I love couscous, and tabouleh. For me, cousous is one of the "safe" things I can't do wrong in the kitchen, whereas if I feel adventurous, I try my hand at meat, something I haven't got much experience with.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think I'll make it again pretty soon :-)

      Delete
  6. You;ve just made me hungry. It's off downstairs to raid the fridge, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No better result for a post with a recipe in it than making people hungry! I hope you are better now.
      Raiding the fridge will look a bit different with those modern bio-robot ones...

      Delete
  7. Some people pour the polenta into a rectangular pan like a loaf pan (which I think you don't use much in Germany, if at all) and put it into the fridge and next morning cut it into slices and fry it in a little oil. It's called corn meal mush. I don't make it myself, because I'm like you, and go usually for the quick, easy, and satisfying.But I enjoy watching food videos and found a new one from Japan called "Cooking with dog". It's somehow fascinating. The cook is so nimble fingered and charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, what you describe is precisely how my sister suggested I make polenta next time, and I think I'll give it a try :-)
      Did you get my email yesterday, reg. the socks?

      Delete