Tuesday 13 August 2024

Turn Back in Time

Not very far, mind you. But I have not yet posted about the last week before my and my sister's Yorkshire holiday; I mentioned it hereMy previous "everyday" weekly report consisted of two posts, spanning the week from Monday July 8 to Thursday July 11 and the weekend from Friday July 12 to Sunday July 14.


Here is my week from Monday July 15 to Sunday July 21:

Monday (15 July) was hot at 31C/88F, but the morning was cool enough for me and my friend to go for a walk before the first meetings at work were to start. Good job I went walking in the morning, since a thunderstorm and rain late afternoon/early evening meant no after-work walk.

Tuesday (16 July) is my parents' wedding anniversary. Even though my Dad is no longer with us, we still mark this special day for our family, and so my Mum made what I deem to be the world's best Lasagne for us in the evening.

After yesterday's thunderstorm and rain, it was a little cooler at 25C/77F and windy, but sunny.

It was my regular office day on Wednesday (17 July), the last one before my two weeks off. At 27C/80F and sunshine, it was another fine summer's day. I took advantage of it by remaining on the train home for one more stop and walking to Benningen from there.


I worked from home on Thursday (18 July), starting the day with a pre-work appointment for a haircut. Of course there was some wrapping up of tasks to do, since I was working for my other employer on Friday and then going away for two weeks on Monday.

O.K. arrived at my place at about 8:30 pm on Friday (19 July). The day was hot again at 32C/90F, and a cold meal consisting of salad, cheese and a well chilled white was best. 

We ventured out after that and briefly joined Salsa Night at the disused factory next to the train station before moving on for one last drink outside "my" Irish pub on the strangely dark market square.

It was odd to see the square so dark - usually, it is better lit at this time of night.


Saturday (20 July) was just as hot. In view of my upcoming holiday, I had not much left in the fridge, and so having breakfast at our favourite café was a good option. There, we bumped into my sister and her friend, which was a nice surprise, and the four of us shared a table.

O.K. and I walked through the palace grounds and the deer park, where it was nice and shady under the large old trees.

Back home, we rested for a while before leaving the house again at around 6:00 pm, walking to the suburb of Pflugfelden for their village fĂȘte. We enjoyed the food, drinks and (not so much) the live music - they were the same not exactly brilliant band we'd seen the previous weekend.

A shower seemed to put an early end to the festivities, but it lasted only briefly, and we were all rewarded by a beautiful rainbow (sorry, no picture).

It was dark by the time we walked home along the fields under a beautiful full moon.

A slightly cooler Sunday (21 July) at 27C/80F was welcome. I walked to one of the few bakeries open on a Sunday in my part of town for fresh rolls and croissants for our Sunday breakfast.

We visited my Mum in the afternoon; I was not going to see her for two weeks from Monday onwards.

O.K. left shortly before 8:00 pm, giving me enough time to do a bit of packing. I still went out, though, walking for almost precisely 2 hours - I knew I was not going to be able to get a proper walk the next day, which was of course our Ripon Road Trip.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was, even though we were just watching for the time it took us to finish a drink.

      Delete
  2. I like how you fill your weeks with walks and fun with family even when you have to work. Such a nice balance to your life, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That balance is vital for me to keep sane, physically as well as mentally. I rather neglect other things (not work) so that I can go walking or spend time with family and friends.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete