Thursday 15 August 2024

First Week Back

Hard to believe that I've already been back at work for almost two full weeks since my Yorkshire Holiday!

Here is the first week, starting with Tuesday. For Monday (5 August), click here.

What I brought from Yorkshire: the gloves and the mug are gifts from the family, the books I bought at The Little Ripon Bookshop, the National Trust shop at Fountains Abbey and WHSmith in Ripon, and the socks I probably bought at FatFace in Ripon.

Tuesday (6 August) was my first day back at work. In all my email inboxes (with two employers and three clients), a total of 288 messages were waiting for me. Not to worry - I knew that some of them would not require any action on my part but were just for information, and others were invitations for meetings which I only needed to accept or decline. Still, there was of course enough left for me to do, and in any case, each and every message had to be looked at.

It took me until Friday before I was on top of all my inboxes again, but that's completely normal.

The day was sunny and beautiful, relatively hot at 29C/84F but good for my standard after-work walk to Benningen. It helped me to fully "arrive" back home.


On Wednesday (7 August), I was at the office for the first time since before the holiday. Some of my colleagues were now away, but it was nice to catch up with those still there.

A little rain in the afternoon made the 28C/82F pleasant enough for me to get off the train in Zuffenhausen and walk home from there, taking in the cemetery where I'd not been in many weeks and went to say hello to my Dad's and friend R's bird markers. A beautiful butterfly on R's marker made me smile.



Again at the office on Thursday (8 August), and then to my Mum's. I had not seen her yet since my return. She made a nice meal for the three of us (my sister was also there), and we had a general catch-up. 

The day felt much cooler at 23C/73F, a welcome respite of the higher temperatures and a chance to get fresh air into the flat.

It was still fresh on Friday (9 August) morning at about 15C/59F when I got up, but the temperature rose to 29C/84F during the day.

I wisely decided to do my cleaning in the morning, before it got too warm and I shut down the blinds, and work afterwards.

With it being the school holidays, train connections are fewer than usual, and so I had to leave about an hour earlier than usual when I travel to O.K. At least both my trains were on time, and O.K. picked me up in Offenburg at 8:00 pm.

After a leisurely stroll through the city centre (bands were playing at various spots), we had a good meal outdoors at an Italian restaurant.

It was dark by the time we arrived at the cottage, and we did some stargazing on the balcony for a while. With the village not being as bright as the city, we could even make out the Milky Way, which I can never see from my flat.

Saturday (10 August) was sunny and hot at 30C/86F. A few jobs around the house and garden were in order, but we also took a bit of time out for a rest and enjoyed a piece of delicious plum cake, made by O.K.'s Mum, in the afternoon.

O.K.'s sister and her husband as well as his Mum joined us for a family BBQ at 6:00 pm, with the area in front of the house being in the shade by then. I'd not seen them since mid-July and was happy to catch up.

Another hot day was forecast for Sunday (11 August), and it certainly was that at 32C/90F. Almost exactly four years ago, we had chosen just such a hot day for a hike along the Gertelbach waterfalls - a good place to be, with the shade of the trees and the running water making for a pleasantly cooler climate.








View from "Herta-Hütte", the shelter where we had our sandwiches.



To me, the big boulder looks like an ancient sleeping creature.

We found the same spot again where in 2020, we played in the stream for a while at the end of our hike.

Getting up to mid-calf into the cold water was so refreshing! But eventually, I had to put my socks and shoes back on.


We repeated that hike on that day. If you go back to my post from 2020, you'll see that we tried to get to a castle on a hill but didn't find the right road to it. This time, O.K. suggested we try again, and we were successful :-)

Windeck is the ruins of a castle that originates from around the year 1200. Like all such places, over the centuries it has changed hands many times and was the subject of fights and sieges as well as fire. You can read more about it on Wikipedia (in English). Nowadays, visitors can climb one of the two towers, which offers fantastic views of the area.












Back home, for our evening meal we grilled the merguez we had
 left from yesterday's BBQ, plus a basket of vegetables. At dusk, we walked to the cemetery to water the flowers on the family grave.

My first week back was over, and it had been a good High Summer's week.

10 comments:

  1. Is Windeck much visited? It seems quiet and perhaps by-passed by tourists and yet - if its walls could talk - what stories they would have to tell! Sitting there by the stream, you seem like a character in a fairytale. What a good life you have Meike! Wholesome and true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. Sometimes I can hardly believe myself how good I have it.
      As for Windeck, I can't really tell how popular it is. It was our first visit there, and on a hot day like that, understandably not many people were about; also, we were there at a time when many people prepare or sit down for their evening meal. But a handful of other visitors were around, and there is a hotel/café/restaurant right next to it (visible in some of the pictures). It must attract enough people to keep going, and they were just closing the café for the day when we arrived.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your blog so much. Enjoy your travels and hiking expeditions. Again, I assume the family is that of your husband...not sure that story...in fact, not sure of your story at all. You certainly write a great travel log...thank you. Florida resident

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda - I am glad you enjoy my blog.
      I am fortunate to have three families: My biological family (Mum and sister living within 15 minutes walking distance; Dad died two years ago); my "married into" family (husband from England, who died nearly 15 years ago) and my partner and his family (O.K. and I live 150 km apart and spend our weekends at each other's places).

      Delete
  3. I had to Google "merguez" as I didn't know what that was and so I learned something new today! I'm amazed you could hike up to that castle and still have the strength in your legs to make it to the top of the tower for that great view! And then hike back to where you started! I bet that cool dip was relaxing for your tired legs, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did enough walking that day, but my legs were fine - it was my feet that really welcomed the paddling about in the beck! As for the castle, we drove up there, it was not part of the hike itself, so we had already been sitting in the car for 15 minutes or so before we climbed the tower.
      I have mentioned merguez a few times on my blog, and there is even a picture in at least one of my posts, but maybe in 2019 you weren't yet reading my blog:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2019/06/june-almost-over.html

      Delete
  4. Love the waterfall photos. I can almost hear the sound of running water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful, and with the copious rains we've been having all spring and much of early summer there was still plenty of water coming down, not just a sad trickle as it would have been during one of the very dry summers of recent years.

      Delete
  5. I have at last, after three goes (I always get sidetracked by something I think I've seen before or whatever) I've completed reading and studying the photos.

    Oddly the merguez was one of the things that struck me. I can't remember whether I ever had them in Germany when we used to stay there but we frequently had them in France when I stayed in the Poitou-Charrante. I' liked them. I have no idea if they are available in the UK. I've certainly never seen them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen merguez in England, but I have never actively looked for them. In big cities with a high immigrant population I suppose there will be places where one can get them. But in my opinion, it is good that some things are still (more or less) country-specific; for me, not everything has to be available everywhere at all times. (And I believe you are not one of the "everything, everywhere, instantly" types, either.)

      Delete