Tuesday 18 August 2020

Hiking on a Very Hot Day

Saturday, the 8th of August, was a very hot day (again) with the thermometer rising to about 35 C (95 F) during the day. Not exactly hiking weather - unless you know where to go.

We started relatively early and chose a circuit that would take us almost exclusively through the woods. The circuit is called Gertelbach-Rundweg and is relatively short at just under 10 km. Its first part is an almost constant climb, often rather steep, alongside a little stream that splashes and tumbles down over and between boulders and rocks. The sound and sight of the water alone made for a much fresher, cooler feel. See for yourself:










View from Wiedenfelsen towards a hotel popular for weddings:

There was a wedding party on the large rock, the bride teetering on her high heels in her gown, the photographer struggling for a good camera position.



It was almost precisely 12:00 - lunchtime! - when we reached the Hertahütte ("Herta's Hut"). At that moment, we were on our own, and decided to have our packed lunch in the shade of the open-faced hut, enjoying the beautiful view:








About half way through us munching away on our sandwiches and other good things, a family arrived. We said hello when they entered the hut, but only one of the women said hello back - the others behaved as if we were not there. Such impoliteness is annoying, but what can you do other than shrug it off - it is not worth it getting angry, especially not on such a fine day. We left soon afterwards.

One or two km from the hut is a beer garden and restaurant, Kohlbergwiese, in the middle of the woods. We stopped there for a shandy, and although the drink itself was a very welcome refreshment, the many wasps were not. More than once I jumped up from my seat and ran a few paces away, since they just would not leave me alone, whizzing around my ears and eyes and hair instead of concentrating on finding food and drink at someone else's table.

We managed not to get stung and walked on:

It was about 2:00 pm by the time we reached the parking lot that marks the beginning and end of the circuit.

Before we drove home, we took our shoes and socks off and played in the stream for a while - that was so much fun! It reminded me of when I was a child; my sister and I often went hiking with our parents, and whenever there would be a beck or stream along the way, we would stop and play there, building dams or just paddling about in the cold water.


We were seeing friends at a beer garden in town the same evening, but it was still early afternoon, and we decided to try and find a way to a castle (Burg Windeck) we'd seen on a hill on our way. The signs were clearly pointing us in a certain direction, but at one point, there were no signs anymore, and we ended up driving a road that was going uphill but obviously not the right hill. No matter, it was still a beautiful spot for a view across the Rhine valley:



Back home, we had enough time for coffee and cake and then a rest before it was time to freshen up and change into different clothes. We cycled the roughly 9 km into town to the beer garden where we were to meet with friends. I had feared the wasps would bug us there, too, but it wasn't too bad - probably because they were truly spoiled for choice there! And after sunset, they were gone anyway.

We spent a nice evening before riding our bikes home in the dark. Arriving at the cottage, we saw that some of the neighbours had brought garden chairs and drinks out and gathered around the fountain at the side of the village road; we joined them for one last drink before finally calling it a day.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good day...even if a bit strenuous, especially in hot weather. The photos from your hike reminds me of one I (unknowingly) took back in my mid 30s. Was a youth group leader looking for a weekend activity for the teens. One of the parents said he knew a fun walk--just a little hike--that the group would like. Off we drove, a couple of hours west to the Shenandoah Mountains. My shoes were a pair of loafers because I was told there was an "easy" path. Didn't own hiking boots anyway. Well, it was all a lie.

    From the National Park Service website--here is their summation of Old Rag Mountain: "Be sure that you are physically able to complete this hike. The circuit hike is about 9 miles. There is a significant elevation change and a strenuous rock scramble that requires good upper body strength. Often, children and shorter adults (me!) need assistance navigating the scramble. Allow 7 or 8 hours. Have plenty of water." They even warn you not to carry a backpack because it will get caught in scramble through dense vegetation. Needless to say, none of this information was available to me back in the early 1980s.

    While I didn't have enough strength to kill the guy when I reached the top of Old Rag (where I collapsed--having no water), it did cross my mind. Glad your hike was a bit more pleasant. I would have happily fallen face first into a cool stream if it had been an option back then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that was definitely NOT a good adventure - it could have gone really wrong and sounds rather dangerous and irresponsible of the person who suggested the "fun walk" on an "easy path"! Dehydration is not to be taken lightly, and not being equipped appropriately (shoes, etc.) makes a big difference for the worse, too.

      Delete
  2. You always have the most beautiful hikes! I think I would prefer to walk in a wooded area even if it was not a hot day. I love the forests so much, however this walk looks like it had a good bit of climbing involved. You and O.K. had a beautiful hike and a fun evening with friends. A perfect Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, on the uphill bits I was puffing away like an old steam locomotive! I still enjoyed it, of course, but it was strenuous and would have been impossible out in the open, under the burning sun.
      Yes, a perfect Saturday all round!

      Delete
  3. You never cease to amaze - and make me feel so old!!! I could do, and enjoy, the stream paddling and of course the beer garden, the remainder of the hiking and climbing would be hard!!!
    Then later cycling too, OMG you guys are fabulous! A 'night cap' by the village fountain sounded like great fun too.
    Your country is so scenic Meike - I loved the places I saw when I visited. More another time hopefully!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cycling was easy-peasy, Mary - all flat and at a leisurely speed.
      Arriving back at the cottage and seeing the small gathering around the fountain, with floating candles on the water, the clinking of glasses and the soft laughter over the sound of the ever-flowing water was a nice surprise.
      Hopefully, you and Bob can travel again next year, I know you miss it!
      Meike x

      Delete
  4. I am so envious I can hardly stand it!! How gorgeous it all is. I so wish I could cool my heels in a beautiful stream. Thanks for at least letting me tag along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splashing about in that little stream was great at the end of that hike! I expected the water to be much colder than it really was.
      You are welcome to tag along any time, dear Kay!

      Delete