Tuesday 25 August 2020

Rainbow Days

On the 16th and 17th of August, we finally had some rain. It came along with thunder and lightning and made not only for a welcome cooling down after several hot days and almost sleepless nights, but also for beautiful skies.

Sunday the 16th started off like most of the previous days, warm and sunny. 

O.K. and I were spending the weekend at my place and went for a combination of running and walking in the morning before it became too hot. For the evening, we had planned to meet with my sister and walk to the nearby farm beer garden, but the rain put an end to that idea. We went to my sister's instead - the rain had stopped by then - and spent a very pleasant few hours on her beautiful balcony, having home-made pizza and chilled rosé.






Monday saw me working at a client's office; as before, it was good to meet some of the people I have been working with for years but not seen face to face in months. When at my desk, I had the room entirely to myself; lunch at the canteen was quiet with only a certain number of people allowed in and sitting far apart. To be honest, I would have preferred to just have a sandwich at my desk, but of course when a client asks me to have lunch with them, I do not say no.

Just as I left the office, it was pouring with rain and my umbrella was not very effective in the thunderstorm. By the time I reached home, the rain had almost stopped, and I rushed to my kitchen window to look for the rainbow I was sure had to be there. And indeed it was there - not just one, but two!

They lasted for a few minutes only, and I felt lucky in catching them. My sister saw them, too, and sent me the above picture.

14 comments:

  1. So glad you are having cooler days and RAIN! And I love those rainbows. Something I also love are nasturtiums which my grandmother always grew. They are beautiful on your sister's balcony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that rain was so welcome! My sister's balcony is small, but so full of flowers and herbs that it feels like a garden.

      Delete
  2. Good to have a cooling off along with the rain...and then the treat of rainbows. Earlier this summer I captured a photo of what I can only call a mini-rainbow as it began and ended solely in my (large) back yard. First time that has ever happened. Sadly, no pot of gold at either end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very own rainbow in your back yard! Never mind that pot of gold :-)

      Delete
  3. Ha-ha, you made me laugh when you said you laughed out loud. It's the truth though, even padded bras wouldn't work for me. Actually the idea of the oranges was my daughter's. A few years ago she uploaded a video parody of Nigella Lawson, and as you know she's pretty big, I mean not flat like Sayaka and I. So Sayaka literally used two oranges. Anyway, these pictures are lovely, we haven't had a drop of rain here in Sicily, but lots in the North. Verona has been flooded, really badly. We are expecting rain and storms here in a about 10 days so we are worried. It's very hot now and we would love to get cooler weather, but you know how it is, it's hot and we want cold, it's cold and we want hot. Your hair is adorable, you know it's the same cut and color that I used to have when I was younger, and before my hair went white. I want to color it now but I am afraid to go to the hairdresser. I have henne so I could do it myself, but I did once and then it took me an hour to wash it off. It was a nightmare! That's where I got the idea to wear fake green bangs by the way. Some people didn't like it, they thought I had colored my hair green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will now never be able to have oranges without smiling and thinking of you and your daughter, Francesca!
      Hopefully, the rain and storms won't be as bad in your area as it has been in other parts of Italy.
      Thank you for the compliment about my hair, I am rather happy with this length, too - it is the best for such thin hair as mine.
      Oh yes, henna is an awful mess to wash out and clean off the bathtub or sink... but it is good for the hair.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had some rain but love the rainbows that came. Really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to see all the rainbows! I need to try harder to catch them because I rarely see them. Meike, that picture of you on the balcony surrounded by flowers is just gorgeous! I bet O.K. would love to have that photo in a frame! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! If I were allowed to post O.K.'s picture here, you would say the same about his portrait - we were sitting at the small table, facing each other, and he is so handsome!
      I hope you are having a better week than the last one.

      Delete
  6. That double rainbow, I would have been so tickled to have captured it in a photo. Well done!
    And I love that photo of you on the balcony! The flowers, I recognize the orange ones, they are nasturtiums but what are the pretty white ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rainbows (who doesn't), and thad double one was an extra treat!
      The white flowers? Sorry, I don't know their name; maybe my sister can tell us.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering about the white flowers also - they are so pretty, some type of jasmine perhaps? The entire balcony is beautiful -I think enjoying a glass of rosé must have been a delight in such a setting - nice photo of you, but when will we get to see your sister, and O.K. too?
    Beautiful rainbow photos - they are usually difficult to get - I don't think I've seen a double one in many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither O.K. nor my sister want their proper names and photos to be published on my blog, and of course I respect that (there have been occasionally pictures of O.K., but I was only allowed to post them because he was visible from behind and far away).
      The white flowers - I am not sure what they are; jasmine would probably give off a strong scent, and I did not notice that. The balcony is indeed very beautiful and so nice to sit on - with or without rosé :-)

      Delete