Saturday 6 September 2014

A Bargain!

In July or early August, I can't exactly remember what day it was, my Mum and I went shopping. Now, if you know me a little bit from my blog, you know I love my Mum, and I love shopping for clothes, and can hardly resist a nice dress when I see one.
And if that dress happens to be one of the few the shop have in my size, PLUS it is reduced to half its original price - well, you can imagine there is only one thing for me to do: buy it!
And buy it I did. (The silhouetted picture is from an online clothes shop. I was hoping to find my dress shown with a complete look, shoes and all, but that's all I could find. The price at the shop was still the original one, twice of what I paid.)


Actually, I bought two dresses on that same day. The other one will probably feature here sooner or later with its own post, and you can catch a tiny glimpse of it here.

This one I wore yesterday to a fashion show my Mum had been invited to, as a loyal customer of that particular clothes store. Kindly enough, she took me along, and we had a good time; the prosecco was flowing freely, there were snacks, good live music, and of course fashion presented by three relatively normal looking models (by normal looking I mean not of the stick-insect kind you see on catwalks and in fashion adverts).
My choice of outfit had two reasons: 1. It had to be fit for the office, because I went to the show directly from work with no time to change; 2. It is my only Marc Cain dress, and I knew they were going to show Marc Cain, so I wanted to fit in.
 
I must admit we didn't like many of the looks shown; there were only a few items we honestly applauded. Animal print featured a lot - we both heartily dislike animal print but fear it will never really be out of fashion -, and the "Boss Orange" collection was simply too "young" for the general audience (I was among the youngest in the audience, and I am 46 1/2!), and too "street"-looking, if you know what I mean. If I want to wear a pair of jeans and a sweater, there is no need to buy that from Hugo Boss; H&M do the job at a fraction of the price.

Anyway, it was a fun evening - I just love going to such events with my Mum! - and I didn't leave without making a purchase. But that... will be a post of its own.

(This was my first fashion post in a long time!)

16 comments:

  1. Hello Meike,

    The dress looks great. The colours are wonderful and really suit you. The neck detail looks interesting and the different colour at the waist really defines it. Yes, perfect for many occasions and snapped up at a bargain price. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,

      Thank you! At first I thought the colour combination unusual - who would think of teaming red with a near-purplish blue? But it works well enough, separated by the black. The neck style is, I have learned, called "Claudine neck".

      Delete
  2. I do like this dress, and of course, you wear it beautifully! The neck detailing is very good. I like it better in the photo of you than in the store picture. It must be lost of fun to go shopping with your Mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! It's great to go shopping with my Mum. We advise each other on things, and know that we are perfectly honest in our compliments or critic.

      Delete
  3. An elegant dress for an elegant lady. You must have a vast wardrobe, do you wear everything you have? I too like clothes, (I am German, after all, not English) but there are too few occasions for me to wear anything elegant and when I do I stick out like a sore thumb. All the same, I usually dress better than any of my English friends and I don’t feel that I need to dress down for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Friko! You are right, you should not dress down for the sake of your less elegant friends. What counts is that you feel at ease in what you wear according to the occasion.
      True; my wardrobe fills 2/3 of one of my bedroom walls. I try to wear everything I own, but often, one season (mainly the summer) is too short for me to get round to wearing each dress at least once, especially if I wear my favourites more than once. I try not to turn up at the office with the same outfit too often. There are also some old favourites of mine which I do not have the heart to give away but have not been wearing for years, and sometimes I "resurrect" them after a long time.

      Delete
  4. Love your fashion posts, Meike. I'd like to turn you loose in my closet to help me reorganize and clear out the "never will be/probably never was/shouldn't have kept this so long/what was I thinking?" items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you don't find my fashion posts too mundane, Carol! Oh, helping you with your closet would be such fun!

      Delete
  5. I like it, and it looks very good on you. (As it happens it reminds me slightly of one I bought this summer - even if not really the same, mine is a little simpler, but also has that kind of division between top and skirt part. Mine has a navy blue "skirt", a red "belt" and a striped navy/white "top"; with a simpler cut, more like a tank top. But I do like that waistline - even on myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your dress sounds very nice, Monica, a classic navy style; I am sure it looks really good on you. Maybe it will feature in one of your posts?

      Delete
  6. Very pretty dress, you look gorgeous in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francesca - how you stumbled across this post that is more than 5 years old, I don't know :-)
      The dress still exists, but my figure is not quite the same anymore.

      Delete
  7. I just stumbled across this post too. I like the dress but I also love your shoes! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello JanF, I wonder how you came across this really old post :-) The dress may be somewhere in my box of summer clothes, but I have outgrown it just enough for it not to look good on me any longer. The shoes are still wearable, just not right now as it is way too cold :-)

      Delete