Thursday 6 August 2020

Read in 2020 - 16: Thinking On My Feet

Thinking On My Feet
Kate Humble

One of my blogging friends (some of you know his blog quite well) and I share a love of walking. We walk every chance we get, we write about our walks on our blogs and show pictures of them. It is therefore hardly surprising that he enjoyed "Thinking On My Feet" and posted this review back in March.

I commented on the review, believing it was my kind of book. And I was right!

It was the kind of book you look forward to returning to every night before going to sleep. It was the kind of book you are torn between reading on, and pacing it so that it lasts longer. It was the kind of book that made me smile, nod, and kept me engaged throughout.

The book is neatly set up like a diary, starting on January 1st and covering a whole year's worth of walks, hikes and runs. Many are close to home, some are much further afield. Some are strenuous, others gentle; there are short and long walks and hikes (one lasts for nine days). The places, the weather and the climate are just as varied; from New York City to Kenya, from fields and woodland behind the farm in Wales were the author lives to a carribean island; she encounters anything from snow to drenching rain to friendly sunshine and tropical heat.
For many of the walks, Kate is alone with just her dogs; others are with her husband, a friend, a small group of friends or someone she is meeting in the line of her work.

No matter what, though, all those walks have in common that there is something liberating about them; as the subtitle of the book says, the small joy of putting one foot in front of another.

This quote from the end of the preamble sums it up nicely:
Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own two feet, you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside.
Looking back at the few books I have read so far this year, I am tempted to say this is my favourite read of 2020. Of course, there have been other great books that stand out; the Leonardo da Vinci biography comes to mind as well as the novel about the Brontes. But Kate Humble's thoughts about walking are so similar to my own that it is a very special book for me. I can imagine picking it up again in a few years, reading it over the course of a year like a diary.

Until reading this book, I didn't know anything about Kate Humble. If you want to learn more about her and her work, you can find her on wikipedia and at www.katehumble.com.

Thank you, Neil, for this wonderful book!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a perfect book for you and Neil! I envy him his beautiful walks in the Yorkshire countryside. And you, too, for your walks in beautiful Germany. How I wish I could join both of you for walking tours of your respective homes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Kate Humble had two groups of readers in mind - the likes of Neil and myself, who love walking and do lots of it anyway, and those who have not (yet) discovered how essential it is for our physical and mental wellbeing.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your description of this book! I think I have a little understanding of just how much your walks and hikes mean to you. Your joyful description of this book serves to accent those feelings well. I equally understand how Neil must have felt reading this book. You and Neil both have the most beautiful places to hike and I am so happy for both of you having those perfect places available to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have read and observed over the last months, many people seem to have discovered how good walking is for them only now that they did not have other choices of what to do in their free time. For me, it has always been a way of living - ever since our parents took my sister and me out for walks and hikes when we were little.

      Delete
  3. I should be getting on to reading a book, I am reading too many magazinesò. I love Good Housekeeping, I get the UK version though, the American one is not available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read very few magazines but that does not mean they are 'worse' and books are 'better'; it is just different reading habits :-)

      Delete
  4. Your reaction to the book makes me very glad that I mailed it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your description, I knew that I would enjoy the book. Once again, thank you very much!

      Delete