Wednesday 26 August 2020

Another Tuesday Evening Walk, and an Encounter

Last week Tuesday, on the 18th of August, I was at first unsure where to direct my after-work walk. It was a day of fast moving clouds and very warm, and the probability of a thunderstorm putting a quick end to my walk was rather high. According to the weather app on my phone, there was no rain or thunder forecast for my immediate area and the next few hours, though, and so I set off in a south-west direction.

Only now when I was looking it up here on my blog have I realised that it was also a Tuesday when I last walked that circuit, and the sky looked quite similar on that day back in July.



These birds gathering on a power line are probably starlings, but I am not sure. Anyway, they, along with all the harvested fields, made me think summer is as good as over:

Most remarkable about my walk last Tuesday was an encounter towards the end of it:

A heron stood on a harvested wheat field, closer to the path than any other of the many herons I have spotted on those fields during my walks. The beautiful bird was only a few steps away from the path, and did not seem worried at all when I stood still, too, and slowly pulled out my phone to take a picture. He or she watched me closely, but moved a bit further away from the path only when a lady with a dog came along. The dog was well behaved and did not even bark at the large bird, but the magic of the moment was broken and everyone moved on.

My sister sent me the above view from her balcony. With the sunset painting the white buildings pink, it looked more like Miami than Ludwigsburg!

Later, when I was already safely back home and enjoying my dinner and some TV, rain and thunderstorm made their way to my area.

14 comments:

  1. You were lucky. And also brave. That sky would not have tempted me! Wonderful to have seen that heron so close up. I wish the lady with dog had left on her walk about ten minutes later! And your sister's photo is rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept a very close watch on that sky and could have gone back any time, but yes, I was indeed lucky - being on the fields in a thunderstorm is not much fun!
      I think it was one of the closest encounters I have ever had with a heron, and I see many.

      Delete
  2. I've only ever seen herons standing near or in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what they prefer, but they come to these fields a lot; sometimes I have spotted six or more on the same field (all socially distancing), and my sister says the same.

      Delete
  3. That was wonderful to see the heron so close. Is there water nearby? Like Tasker, I thought they stayed near water. Maybe the wheat field provided a tasty treat! You have some great pictures of clouds that look heavy with rain. I'm glad you got home before it started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Tasker, Bonnie. They find mice on those fields, and plenty of them! They can often be seen flying towards the river, or in the direction of the lake where they have their sleeping quarters on large trees. It's miles from that field, but no big distance when you have the wingspan of a heron.
      I was glad to be home before the rain started, too!

      Delete
  4. I wonder what the heron found interesting in the field. Well I just looked that up and apparently they sometimes eat, besides fish, insects, worms and birds - all of which would be available in the fields I guess. Glad you saw it and that the dog behaved so well. I doubt an American dog would!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Bonnie, Mary.
      As for dog behaviour - believe me, there are enough dogs around here that don't know how to conduct themselves! I blame the owners.

      Delete
  5. I read this post early today before work and didn't have time to comment. Then as I drove up to the school some sort of large, pure white water bird took wing from a tiny little pond on one end of the campus. It was up high and then gone before I could get a good enough look at it to identify it, but it was a special sight to begin my work day. I'm glad I got to tell you about it! :)

    I love the fact that the heron wasn't afraid of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me about your viewing of what probably was a heron, too, Jennifer! It is nice to start the work day like that, and I hope the first week back has helped in coping with your grief about Ginger.

      Delete
  6. Wow! The pink is amazing. I really thought the buildings were that color!
    The skies are all so beautiful.
    A blue heron has shown up at my daughter's house. Her husband made a little pond with some fish and they now hide on the bottom because of the bird. They also captured on the camera the heron eating a frog. I suspect because we are in a little drought, the usual water holes don't offer as much food to the herons these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sun can do amazing things with colour! You are right, it is not easy for birds depending to a large extent on water habitats to find food during a drought.

      Delete
  7. Lovely clouds and lovely pink buildings. It is always exciting to get close to a heron. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herons are beautiful and fascinating birds - like all birds, actually. I love watching them fly, so elegant!

      Delete