Wednesday 18 September 2013

Tocco Rosso

If Hugo was 2011's Summer Drink (I wrote about it here), then Tocco Rosso has the potential for being named that for 2013. I only tried it once, so far, and that was two weeks ago, when summer was already showing signs of ending. By now, it has well and truly ended; for several mornings this and the past week, I have had to wear a coat for my way to work, and am even thinking about gloves, what with my hands always being so cold.

Back to Tocco Rosso now! It is a combination of Campari, elderflower syrup, prosecco and soda water and comes garnished (like Hugo) with a twig of peppermint. Less sweet than Hugo, but still sweet enough for me to like it, it is very refreshing, and I am sure I'll have it more often next year, now that I know of it.

Our favourite ice cream parlour serves it, and this is where my Mum, my sister and I enjoyed this drink two weeks ago.



Tocco Rosso is, as you guessed, Italian and means "red touch" or "a touch of red". I may put it on the menu for my next cocktail party :-)

8 comments:

  1. Well, I really like elderflower and also prosecco so I think I would like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would, if you like two of its three main ingredients, Kristi :-)

      Delete
  2. Well I like Campari and prosecco and elderflower champagne (which my wife and I used to make until a rogue bottle exploded blowing a hole in a cupboard wall) so I'd probably like that. However I do have prosecco and Campari in the house so when I have visitors I shall start with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I am not too fond of Campari on its own - too bitter for my sweet tooth - but it works very well in the combination of a Tocco Rosso.

      Delete
  3. Love this photo of you and your Mum!! Did your sister take the picture? Perhaps we could persuade her to be on your blog one day!
    I bet I would like that drink. I am still hoping to have Pimm's in England one day. Do you remember the post that I did where the seaside cafe was out of Pimm's?
    I didn't cry TOO hard! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my sister took it, and it was her idea that we look at each other and not at the camera - it works well, doesn't it! No, she won't ever appear on my blog. She dislikes the entire idea of my blog and keeps making snide remarks about it.

      Delete
  4. I am in Berlin this week and had my first tocco rosso, a very popular drink here (I guess they have a few brands of elderflower syrup that are German rather than Italian). I ordered an Hugo, and the barmaid said, how about trying something new? I did, and now am looking up the recipe online and found your blog! I like them both equally, but I am sure that I will be having many more tocco rosso drinks in my future! Husband drinks negronis, so there is always Campari around. That being said, it is a bit cold for these drinks now. When I get home to Florida next week the weather will be very warm and I will be making them for friends. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, thank you for not only having stopped by my blog on the search for Tocco Rosso, but also for taking the time to write such a nice comment!
      It would be great to know how your friends liked the drink. I am sure the one pictured here wasn't my last one.

      Delete