Tuesday 15 July 2014

Wednesday at Nunnington Hall: Part I

For the first time since our arrival in Yorkshire on the Friday before, we woke up on Wednesday (4th of June) to the sound of rain. We didn't mind too much, since we had an indoor activity planned for the day: a visit at Nunnington Hall.

Nunnington Hall in its present shape is largely the result of extensive work in the 1680s on what had been a manor house already since the 13th century.
Until 1978, the Hall was a family home - and to me, it still has much of that atmosphere; the well-worn floorboards and slightly shabby furniture tell the stories of many days of family life inside those old walls.

It was still raining when we arrived, and so we quickly went inside.
 
I so love it when you are allowed to walk around in such places on your own, instead of being stuck in a group with a guided tour! There are informative leaflets in every room, and a host of friendly ladies and gentlemen from the National Trust will answer your questions any time.







See the painting of the girl above the fireplace? The painter had her pose in a dress that reached only knee-length, nothing too unusual at the time. But when her mother saw the finished painting, she was scandalized and ordered the painter to paint over her daughter's knees!

Whereever I am, I always make sure to look out of the windows, no matter how fascinating the interior may be. The view from here was certainly worth it:






My sister spotted this drawing of a lady high up on the wall; it wasn't easy to get a good picture of her. But don't you agree that she looks very REAL, not as statuesque or doll-like as is so often the case with old portraits? There is something about her that made us believe she must have had a very bright mind, and been great company, fun to be with.




More views from the windows:





In the attic. The maids lived up here, but the information leaflet told us that the furniture (especially the chest of drawers) would have actually been a bit too grand for servants' quarters.

Please visit Nunnington Hall's official website and read the bit about the Carlisle Collection. Those miniature rooms are fascinating examples of excellent craftmanship - and their owner's excentricity and wealth. Every miniature musical instrument in this room works! The guitar in the front is smaller than my hand.



Still up in the attic, we came across the book room - there for the visitors to rest on the squashy settees for as long as they like, browse the book shevles, read, and buy any of the used books they like. I think my niece actually bought one, and we all had fun looking at Linda Evans beauty book from the 1980s.



We had lunch downstairs in the National-Trust-run café. I discovered my new favourite drink: Rose Lemonade.

After lunch, we went outside to stroll around the gardens; the sky looked a little less gloomy now and the rain wasn't quite so heavy anymore. But those beautiful gardens are worth their own post.

12 comments:

  1. One of the things I love about the National Trust (for England) is that they generally allow photos. The Scottish National Trust does not. So not only have I enjoyed your photos (and some of the wonderful details like the peacock on the ball atop the post and the almost photograph-like picture of Mrs Buhg ?) but I have also added the Hall to my list of places to be visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her name is Bunbury, I think. I didn't know that there is such a different way of doing things between the National Trusts of England and Scotland, but I am certainly glad for the English one to allow photos. I would never take any if it wasn't allowed! The only difficulty at Nunnington Hall was to get pictures without people on them (as you can see, I did not always succeed) and the lighting.

      Delete
  2. Looks like another wonderful place to visit - thanks so much for showing it to us :) The peacock pictures also brought my attention to the fact that I can't recall ever seeing one flying - only walking on the ground. Seeing them perched in high places like that, I suddenly realised that they must be able to fly!!! (It's not that I ever assumed that they didn't... I just never thought about it at all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I've never seen a peacock in flight, but you are right, they must do so, even if only for short distances - it can't be easy for the males to drag those long tail feathers up with them. So I guess their flight is more a wing-supported hop.

      Delete
  3. You're right about looking out of the windows. The people who lived there were used to seeing the rooms, and would probably have loved to look out of the windows often, as i do mine. It gives more of a feel for what the people who lived there saw and heard each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought much of that aspect, but you are right - it gives one more of an idea of what it was like for the people to live there.
      Even when I am in an environment as mundane as, say, a dentist's surgery in the middle of my home town, I look out of the window, because it usually shows me the familiar streets and buildings from a different angle.

      Delete
  4. This looked like fun, but you are making me wait for the gardens! You know that is what I was looking for!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens were fabulous! The house was fascinating, too. We overheard one of the guides tell another visitor of a ghost that was seen several times by visitors. Of course she may have just made it up to give those visitors a thrill, but she sounded serious enough to me.

      Delete
  5. I'm considering visiting this place if I can get there so this was very useful - you give a great idea of what it's like. The book room sounds wonderful. The NT volunteers always seem so nice. I know a few people who volunteer at NT houses add they really enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know a lady who volunteers at Brodsworth Hall, she is also very nice, and very knowledgeable. I can even see myself doing something like that... when I'll be retired!
      Glad I was able to provide you with information about a place you intend visiting, too.

      Delete
  6. The picture of the lady is an etching printed from a painting by Joshua Reynolds. He was a fine portrait artist and really captured the spirit of the person rather than just their bland looks.
    A great tour as always thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! Thanks to your Joshua-Reynolds-clue, I have found out more about her. She was married to a charicaturist, Henry William Banbury, and her name was Catherine. She looks quite different on other paintings, but I like to think that this etching is a more accurate portrait; it is just so lifelike.

      Delete