Wednesday 9 May 2018

Back in the Land of...

...the Reading and Blogging, I am happy to be allowed again almost all of my usual activities. After last week's eye examination, my doctor has given green light to sports, reading, writing and computer work - all within reasonable limits, though, which is why she has extended my enforced break for another week (this week). My first proper working day will be next Monday, but I am home now for the rest of the week and will do a few hours here and there, to see how my eye feels and reacts, and to make the diving into a very busy schedule a little easier.

First things first - here is a picture I meant to show you weeks ago. It was taken in March, at the end of our Spa break, from the top floor living room window at O.K.'s. This beautiful tree is in a neighbour's garden and looked like a pink fluffy cloud while in bloom. By now it has lost all its blossoms; the leaves are a dark burgundy red. The tree is home to a family of magpies, and while the blossoms were there, it was humming with probably hundreds of bees. 


Before I left for O.K.'s, I went for a walk with my sister. She took this photo of me. See how sensible I am, wearing a cap (courtesy of O.K.'s) to protect my eyes from the bright sun!

The following pictures were all taken around O.K.'s village on the last day of April:





Later that day, just like last year, the maypole was erected in the village. The village band was playing, and after the ceremony, everyone moved to the big beer tent for food and drinks, while the band played some more.
Last year, I helped handing out food from behind the counter, but this year, I was not yet allowed doing anything strenuous (and my eye sight wasn't really up to it, either), so I couldn't be of any use and went home after I'd had something to eat.

As I had another appointment at the doctor's on the 2nd of May, I travelled home on May Day and returned to O.K.'s after my appointment. It was his birthday on the 3rd, and we hosted a party of about 17 at his cottage. It was fun, and I was glad I was allowed to help - cleaning up after the party took us until almost 1:30 in the morning, but it was well worth it, I think.

The next few days were really warm and summery, with temperatures up to 28 Celsius or more. We started working on the wooden balcony rail; sanding it down took us one entire day. We rewarded ourselves that evening with our favourite summer drink, Apérol Spritz (a mix of Apérol, which is a bitter organe liqueur, sparkling wine and soda). Very refreshing!

Sunday saw us on our bikes, meeting with friends at a beer garden for a meal (and a few drinks). On the way back to the village, we stopped in the town center for the most delicious ice creams. Instead of riding home directly from there, O.K. showed me this beautiful spot where two streams meet. In the more than 2 years I have been coming to his place, I had not yet been there. The evening light was so beautiful, and I loved the view towards Ortenberg castle from this perspective (you've seen the castle several times on my blog already, but never from this spot).


Monday and Tuesday, we gave the balcony rail its necessary two coats of paint. Another day of - for me - unusual physical work. I enjoyed it, but of course I am not used to it, especially not after the enforced break from most of my usual activities such as running, rope skipping etc. 

I had to take the train home last night, as I have another doctor's appointment today. I have no doubt that I will be able to go back to work on Monday, but it is always good to make sure and to have everything checked.

Today is another summery day; tomorrow is a public holiday in Germany and it is forecast to be at least 10 degrees cooler and rainy. Well, we need the rain, but I am sure a lot of people had barbecues and other outdoors stuff planned - they will be disappointed.

The cherries on the tree in front of my kitchen window are as big as the top of my thumb already!

22 comments:

  1. Welcome back! The world needs you writing! Happy all went well for you, I knew it would. What wonderful photos I love them all! You look like a model in holiday trying to disguise yourself in that cap! Of course you look like a model at all times. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay, you really made me blush!!
      I am happy, too, that all went well so far. Let's just hope that the second OP won't be necessary for a long time to come.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to hear from you again, and know that your recovery is going so well. Kay is right, with that cap on you look as if you're trying to be incognito, a celebrity of some sort. Love those photos near O.K.'s which are full of what I think are buttercups on a hill. I think an impressionist would have loved to paint this. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! Yes, they are buttercups, aren't they wonderful? I often think that I'd love to be able to paint the views I so enjoy.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to the land of the living - and blogging, Meike. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frances! It feels good to be back,

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you'd been under the doctor (so to speak), Meike - hope all is going well and you're making a full recovery! Lovely shots - and I do agree - you look like a famous actress or something, trying to avoid the press! You probably are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all is going well; progress is great according to my doctor but slow according to me - but then I have never been famous for being particulatürly patient.
      Hehe, my friends and family members are the real celebrities - they do not even allow me to give their proper names on my blog, let alone show their picture!

      Delete
  5. Great to see you back and hear that you are almost 100% Meike!
    Love the pics, your fav summer drink looks a little like mine (Pimms & Lemonade) but with less leaves and fruit 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to be back, too, Karen, thank you! If you have an Aperol Spritz at a bar or restaurant, it is served with a slice of orange, but leaves (mint) are part of another drink I like, Tocco Rosso (Red Touch - made with Campari).

      Delete
  6. Oh, so happy for you! I loved the photos, as always. Very relieved that all turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Nan, thank you! Good to see you back as well, will pop over to your blog in a minute.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the update and the lovely pictures too. I Hope you make it back to work on Monday but maybe it would be best to work half-time for the first week.

    Your mysterious sister must be very tall judging from the angle of the photograph she took of you. Is she a giantess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will work full time from Monday onwards but I will be sensible and try to take breaks from the computer at regular intervals. Also, there will be meetings with customers where I won't be required to look at a computer screen. I am not a huge fan of meetings (although they can be useful with good moderation) but in this case they will provide a welcome break.

      My sister is a little taller than I, but I think she raised her mobile phone above her head when she took that picture ;-)

      Delete
  8. Welcome back, my friend! I've been thinking of you every day and hoping that your eyes were coming along well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! My right eye has not been touched, only the left one was operated on. It is coming along well but there is still much room for improvement.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you're almost back to normal, Meike. It always takes longer than one imagines to recover fully from an operation, particularly when there is a general anaesthetic involved. Somehow I have the idea that your operation was for something like stopping a pucker in the retina from becoming worse. I don't see any obvious references to this in previous posts though so perhaps I am wrong about that.

    There have been some huge changes in the appearance of natural things in the last 3 weeks. Huger than most changes that occur in the Spring, I mean. We have had a winter which mostly dragged on and on, then some unseasonably hot weather, and now everything's trying to catch up at the same time. I noticed on returning to London today after a week away, that the red may-trees are out in our garden when the white ones are only just starting to show their blossom. I have never seem this before, as the red ones generally appear after we have said goodbye to the white. I concluded the red ones were keeping to their usual schedule and the white ones were desperately trying to keep up, having been effectively "asleep on the job" :)

    I tried Aperol in Germany a couple of years ago as it seemed to be very popular - I though it was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, you are right about the puckering (that was the exact word - in English - that my doctor used on the letter to the doctor at the clinic where I was operated). It was epiretinal gliosis, and I mentioned that in reply to a comment here on my blog, so maybe that is where you read it.

      Spring was/is different here this year, too. I love it so much when the trees are in bloom, and it is always a relatively short period. But this year, it was even shorter because of the drastic change from sleety rain and frosty temperatures to summery weather.
      Now we are in desperate need of rain in our area. I heard in the news this morning that Northern Germany has had plenty of it, with the fire men having to come to assist in more than 2,000 cases yesterday alone, pumping the water out of flooded cellars etc.

      Delete
    2. PS: If ever you happen to be in Germany within reasonable distance of where I am, I'll treat you to an Aperol Spritz :-)

      Delete
  10. Joining the welcome back chorus :) Glad the op went well for you. I wear a cap or a hat with a brim most of the time outdoors nowadays... On sunny days not to get dazzled by the sun, and on rainy days to keep the rain off my glasses! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica :-)
      It is a good idea to wear a hat or cap in most weathers, unless it is very windy (or you can tie the hat under your chin, which is a bit uncomfortable, I imagine). I do not own sunglasses, so the cap came in very useful.

      Delete
    2. Well, yes, a hat with wide brims is certainly tricky in windy weather... A cap usually stays on, though (if it's the right size!) And in windy + rainy weather I often wear one of those under a rain jacket with hood - it helps keeping the rain off one's glasses! :)

      Delete