Thursday 21 March 2019

...And Off We Go!

In about 15 minutes, I will put on my shoes and coat, grab my suitcase and handbag, close the door to my flat from the outside, descend the stairs to the ground floor, there leave a paper bag containing some sweets, a note and my keys at my ground floor neighbour's door (she'll look after my few house plants and take out the mail) and walk to the train station.

Getting ready...
All fits in nicely, with some room left for souvenirs.
Bye-bye, flat! See you Sunday in a week!

There, I will meet my sister. We will take the train to Stuttgart, there changing for another train to the airport. Our flight to Manchester will hopefully be smooth and not delayed.
Once in Manchester, we will patiently wait for our luggage to be brought out, then pick up our pre-booked train tickets (thank you, Internet!) and take the Transpennine "Express" to Leeds. From there, a local train should carry us to Harrogate, where we will take the 36 bus to Ripon.
Some time late afternoon today - I estimate around 5 or 6 pm - we should be at "our" cottage.

Phew!

Until yesterday, I still had a rather busy week. Tuesday saw me wrapping up a few tasks at one client's office. It was pub quiz night, too, and my team and I managed to get the highest number of points - unfortunately, the questions were so easy that four other teams did the same! The tie question set us back to the 4th 1st place; we still won a bottle of champagne and had great fun.

I have not asked my team mates' persmission to publish their photos, so here is just a cut from our group photo on Tuesday night at the Irish Pub.

Yesterday, I worked at a different client's office, with a meeting of a prospective new client in between. The new prospect has already asked for the draft of a contract, so all went well there, too.
After work, I went running with a friend. Today will be mostly spent sitting and waiting around, so the exercise was welcome.

Now I'm off - next time you'll hear from me, it will be reporting from Matchbox Cottage in Ripon!

28 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, dear friend! We did - and we are!

      Delete
  3. How exciting, your trip!! The anitcipation!! And I LOVE the order in your preparations! Something for me to learn about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know about that; everyone's mind works a bit differently; mine needs the outwardly order to function properly, it's as simple as that :-)

      Delete
  4. Enjoy. Hope the weather turns warmer for you - it is chilly up her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! Manchester was still a bit chilly, and Leeds station was rather windy, but by the time we were on the local train to Harrogate, the sun came out, and the mild evening air was most pleasant.

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful journey and sunny dry days while in the UK...I always think how wonderful if must be to make this trip every year with your sister. Congratulations on your Pub Quiz win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! Our Yorkshire Holiday has become quite the treasured tradition for us. Last year we did not make it, but this year feels almost as if we had not been away at all.

      Delete
  6. So happy all the prep went well and you are well on your way, perhaps even there by now Meike. You are such an organized soul which I find so comforting, you need to give we travelers lessons, especially on how to fit everything in one suitcase, haha! Have a fabulous time - may the sun shine daily and the pubs have fires in the hearths!
    Hugs, and stay safe - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! One suitcase is easy if a) you only have a bit more than a week to pack for, b) there is a washing machine in your holiday home and c) you travel by public transport only and have to be able to carry all your luggage yourself :)
      By the time you wrote your comment, I was not quite there yet; about nine hours of travel altogether.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your trip to Yorkshire or God's own country as we call it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as I'm writing this you should be ensconced in your cottage. I hope the journey was good. All in all life just before you came away seemed pretty good. May it continue so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each one of the various legs of our journey went well, Graham; when your comment was posted, we were justbout for a quick first trip to the supermarket to get a few essentials. Now the (artificial) fire in our lounge is on, making for cosy warmth and light. There has been wine and nibbles, and now I am quite ready for bed.

      Delete
  9. Safe journey, happy holiday! The weather should be brightening up for you too. Ripon's a lovely little place (but then you know that). Did you track down the centre of Germany?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Mike! Yes, we love Ripon. No, I have not yet looked for the centre of Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear me, welcome to a very frazzled, divided, chaotic UK where everyone is thoroughly fed up with our incompetent politicians (all of them).
    I hope you can stay out of trouble and enjoy your time in spite of all the open warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No trouble so far, and no signs of open warfare on the quiet streets of Ripon... A few shops and restaurants have changed since our last visit, but other than that, we are finding everything pretty much as before.

      Delete
  12. Have fun! I think the weather may not be too bad for you! what a lovely name, I wonder if it is an old one or just someone's fancy! The trip sounds quite a long one, but then travelling is always a bit of a chore, so I hope the time passes pleasantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! We can't complain so far; the weather has been good enoughh. What name do you mean?

      Delete
  13. So looking forward to hearing news and seeing pictures from your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There will be plenty of both soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are having fun in Yorkshire! (I am always impressed at your neatness and organization.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! Yes, we are - it could be a bit warmer, but we have warm coats and scarves so we still spend as much time out and about as we like.

      Delete
  16. Don't be lighting matches in Matchbox Cottage. I am glad that you have arrived at a time of nice spring weather. Thanks be to God who clearly listened to my prayer!
    PS I like the new hairstyle. It suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oops - too late, your warning against lighting matches. We already did that on Thursday to light candles for my birthday.

      Delete