Wednesday 11 March 2020

Spring Weekend

Last weekend was a mixed bag weather-wise. There a few showers, it was chilly at times, but Sunday was mild enough to leave the padded coat at home and wear an outdoor gilet over a long-sleeved top instead.

O.K. and I went for walks both on Saturday and Sunday. As my planned arrival on Saturday ended up almost 1 1/2 hours late, there wasn't that much time left for a longer walk. But we made up for that on the Sunday, getting 13.5 km under our belts.

It was looking like rain a few times, but whenever the sun came out, it felt really warm.

On Saturday afternoon, we went up on the hills behind the village, close to where O.K.'s parents have their allotment. I have at least one picture of this forsythia from previous years on my blog, but I can never resist when its yellow lights up the whole scene:


Not far from the forsythia is this large shrub/tree (when do you call a plant a shrub, and when is it a tree?). As you can see, the sky showed patches of blue:


I simply had to take a picture with all those spring colours together; pale pink, white, yellow, light green and blueish grey: 




The view from one of O.K.'s living room windows - this tree in the neighbours' garden has also featured on my blog before:



Our Sunday walk took us straight from the cottage (always good when it is not necessary to take the car) through the fields and through woodland (the Black Forest starts on the next row of hills behind the village) towards Diersburg, a neighbouring village to O.K.'s. We've been there before, several times; during one walk, we went to look at the ruins of Castle Diersburg (Burg means castle).
But not this time; we left the woods at a different end of the valley, among vineyards, and made our way down to the village from here.



Drystone walls with steps support the terraced vineyards:


It still looked like rain, but we didn't catch a single drop during our walk:


These flowers look like early summer already - but the picture was taken on the 8th of March. We spotted this unusual building - a water reservoir, we think - in one of the vineyards. Can you see the ceramic cat on top?


More spring:


Back home at the cottage, a piece of apple cake and coffee were very welcome!

I had to go home an hour earlier than usual; the train schedule was changed because of construction work on the tracks. That weekend, both my trips to and from O.K.'s were adventurous; as mentioned above, I was almost 1 1/2 hours late on arrival, because of a missed connection. I spent 3/4 of an hour having coffee and a snack at Costa Coffee at Karlsruhe main station (not that much of an adventure, admittedly).

On the trip home on Sunday, I was supposed to have 17 minutes to catch my connection in Stuttgart, for the last leg of the journey which takes only about 10 minutes. But although the train departed on time in Karlsruhe, it had two unplanned stops along the way: 
The first time, our train driver had to repair a door on the train. The second time, someone smoked in the toilet, which of course triggered an alarm, and the train driver had to come out of his driving compartment once again to sort it out.
That meant we were now 18 minutes late... you do the maths what that meant for my connection!
Luckily, though, my connecting train was still at the platform in Stuttgart. I grabbed my bag and sprinted from platform 14 to platform 6 in one minute, jumped on the train, the doors closed, and off we went. Phew!
But what does it show about the train company that it is the driver who has to do ALL the work, with no other staff for support?



Let me end this post with this view from my kitchen window on Monday night.

21 comments:

  1. Have a feeling that that is what they are trying to do on the trains here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one other member of staff on board, checking tickets, but later - when those unforeseen stops occurred - he was nowhere to be seen.

      Delete
  2. Can see only 2 photographs. Others are blank white rectangles. Is it me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I can see them all, but then of course I am logged in and have uploaded the pictures from the same computer where I am viewing the page. I'll check but am not optimistic that I'll find anything that I can change - I have uploaded just like I always do.

      Delete
    2. Can see them now. Must have been me. Spring is sprung. I'd love to go walking there.

      Delete
  3. I'm with TD. I can only see two photos. There are only the same two in the bar/enlargement as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a Google issue. I've just popped over to At Home in New Zealand and encountered the same problem.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for letting me know, too. I have just gone back to editing the post and uploaded the pictures again, one by one this time (and not in bulk as before). Hopefully, you can view them now.

      Delete
    3. Yes. I can see them all now. I shall go and have a proper look.

      Delete
  4. The post has made me wonder about trees v shrubs. I've always assumed that both were woody and trees were larger than shrubs and, generally speaking, were basically single stemmed (ie a trunk). It would appear, however, that whilst what I've said forms the basis for some definitions there is no absolutely agreed definition. So I've learned something today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would pick up on that question in my post, Graham - thank you! I guess it is not always easy to determine when a plant is a large shrub or a small tree.

      Delete
  5. The forsythia is indeed gorgeous and I love the picture with all the Spring colors together! The vineyards looks very nice too. Will you be back there again after they have grown more? The picture of the lovely purple flowers hanging over the rocks is so nice but I did not find the ceramic cat.

    It sounds like your train ride was a bit of a challenge. It is good you were able to sprint to catch that one train!

    When I first read your blog earlier today I was only able to see two pictures. I was on my tablet then and now, a couple of hours later, I am on my desktop computer and I see them fine. I don't know if the tablet had anything to do with it or not but my bet is Blogger was acting up. I see them all now and they are beautiful! I love the moon picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! As for the pictures that were not properly there before, see my comments above to Tasker and Graham. I don't know why they didn't show from the start, but have uploaded them again just to make sure it wasn't me.

      All around the region where O.K. lives, there are vineyards, and we love walking there in all seasons. Autumn is particularly beautiful when the colours of wine leaves range from the brightest yellow to the deepest red.
      The ceramic cat sits on top of the building. If you click on the picture, it should enlarge.

      Delete
  6. You have such wonderful adventures! The signs of spring are just beautiful. I saw all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan!
      We love our walks and hikes. As for the train trip adventures, I'd happily do without them :-)

      Delete
  7. I am so happy! Twice earlier today I tried to read your blog and could only see two of your photos. But now I can see them all and am so happy with all the signs of spring. Another blog I read, from France, did not let me see any photos...I am sorry your trains have so many difficulties but glad you made that last connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comments to Tasker and Graham, Kristi; I have uploaded the pictures again but still don't know why they didn't show from the beginning.
      Our trains have been going from bad to worse over the last 20 years. Sometimes I am lucky for weeks, until everything is messed up again. But so far, I have always managed to get where I wanted to eventually - and back!

      Delete
  8. Wow, spring is certainly a lot further along in your "neck of the woods" than up here... As you know, I spotted some crocuses yesterday - but today, to my surprise, I woke up to a wintry world again, as it had been snowing during the night. Rather wet snow, so most of it has already melted away again... But it will probably be "on and off" for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rather cold last night and this morning, but no snow is forecast for my area, and it warms up,considerably during the day. It was 17C on Wednesday, and 15 is forecast for Sunday. We will definitely be walking again!

      Delete
  9. Isn't it wonderful to see the spring blossom out - at the right time of year! I am not saying I didn't appreciate seeing Spring flowers in January, but it did somehow seem subtly wrong. I agree with you that lowering skies can make a wonderful backdrop for pictures at this time of year particularly if you get a gleam of sun too. Many bare tree branches appear to be grey or drab brown on first sight but seen against a true grey sky I often see all kinds of colours in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about spring flowers in January. I feel much better about seeing them now in March! The silhouettes of bare trees are beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing allmthe orchards around here in bloom, tufts and clouds of white and pink.

      Delete