Tuesday 10 November 2020

October At Home and Outside

Recently, I mentioned here on my blog that a meteorologist said this year's October saw only 73 % of the sunshine of the average October in our area. My overall impression of the month has been different; it has not felt as if it lacked sunshine. Looking at my pictures from that period, I have found only very few with grey skies. Is that because I did not take photos on those days, or because there really weren't that many?

I don't know, but it hardly matters anyway. Here are a few more pictures from last month.

Morning sky on the 20th of October at 7:40 am, as seen from my kitchen window:

The day had been sunny, and I was looking forward to a walk in the late afternoon sun. But by the time I finished work, it had become overcast and grey. No matter, it was still good to be out. On the same day, it was made offical that we were not going to have a Christmas market this year.


One week later, on the morning of the 27th, the cherry tree in front of my kitchen window was wearing the most beautiful yellow:

It lit up the entire room! Yes, there was also sunlight coming through the windows that morning, but the leaves on the tree made it even brighter. A nice start to the day.

I finished work about half an hour earlier than usual, determined to catch as much of the late afternoon sun and the sunset as I could, and indeed I did! The sunset was so beautiful, I wanted to hold on to it as long as possible, and took pictures every few minutes. These ones were taken between 5:09 and 5:41 pm, according to the time stamp of my mobile phone's camera:





Not always, but sometimes I keep track of my walks with an app on my mobile phone. That day, the app showed exactly 8.88 km when I reached home again.

The last picture here was taken on Friday afternoon, the 30th of October, from my bedroom window. What you see is the mulberry tree that has steadily been growing out of control. While I rather look at the leaves than at my neighbour's house, the branches touch our walls, making it nearly impossible to put the duvet out for airing. And when the mulberries are ripe, they leave purple stains on the walls and on my window sill. As nice as it is to pick berries straight from my bedroom, the branches had to be cut, and my neighbours have done that yesterday. I didn't know when it was going to happen, and now I am extra glad that I took this picture while the beautiful yellow leaves were still there.

There are a few more pictures from last month; maybe tomorrow I will finally manage to catch up and finish my October posts.

15 comments:

  1. If that was my post it would be a dozen pictures of rain and fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here, October is often a rather beautiful month with golden sunshine. November is a different story with more fog and rain, but we have had less and less rain in the past years, to the point of it really becoming a problem for farming and forestry.

      Delete
  2. Still enjoying your wide open sky photos. Too many trees where I live to catch the fullness of a sunrise or a sunset, so I appreciate seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy them, Mary! The views from my windows end at the next house, but it is only a short walk to where the open fields begin in either direction.

      Delete
  3. How are you keeping track of all your photos and how do you sort them so you remember 'which is which?'
    PS...I love the yellow leaves. When the Aspen trees turn here we try to drive up the mountain to see and photograph them. We have to be quick as they only wear their beautiful yellow a very short time before they fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautiful colours are all the more precious because they last only such a short time, just like the orchards in bloom in the spring.
      When I transfer pictures from my mobile phone to my computer, they come with a time stamp, so I always know what day and time a certain picture was taken, and of course I know where we have been walking on this Sunday or that Saturday, or where I have been on an after-work walk last Tuesday, and so on.

      Delete
  4. All your pictures are beautiful especially those golden leaves and the beautiful sunset! Is that mistletoe growing in the trees in your second and third pictures? At first I thought it might be squirrels nests as we have many of those but on second look I don't think so. I love the picture of your kitchen with all the light coming in the two windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kitchen is great for early mornings; by mid-morning, the sun is round the bend and the direct sunlight is gone.
      Over here, squirrels' nests are much smaller and not as easily visible as what you can see in those trees. These are mistletoes, as you guessed.

      Delete
  5. You certainly take a lot of lovely photos. Will you save them to pass on to family some day? I think of the old days of creating scrapbooks or labeling all of the photos so future viewers would know who was who or where and when it occurred - creating a family history to pass down to future generations. I think with digital photos now that so many photo memories will be lost.
    Glad you share them with us, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog is my "scrapbook", so to speak; once I have uploaded them here, I usually delete them from my computer. When it comes to pictures with friends and family, people who do not want to appear on here, these are saved in an extra folder with dates and names, and every now and then I transfer them to a USB stick.
      Neither my sister nor I have children, so there won't be anyone after us who will want to look at our family pictures.

      Delete
  6. I recall that yellow is your favourite colour as well (or one of them)... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Monica! Hardly surprising that I enjoyed those yellow leaves in front of my windows :-)

      Delete
  7. hana no kage/ aka no tanin wa/ nakari keri

    Under cherry flowers,
    None are utter strangers.

    Kobayashi Issa (1763-1827) haiku poet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be about half a year before there will be flowers on those branches again, but it is always something to look forward to.

      Delete
    2. ikani ikani/ hana mo koyoi no/ tsuki ichirin.

      No, no, not even the cherry blooms,
      can equal the moon of tonight.

      Nishiyama Soin (1605-1682)

      Delete