Friday 10 December 2021

The Mysterious Basket

After work yesterday, I went to my sister's to meet with her for a walk and then visit our parents. In her staircase (like me, she lives in the middle flat of a three-story house), a basket full of parcels of various sizes and shapes, all wrapped as Christmas presents. My sister didn't know who the basket was for or from, but she said it had been there since the day before.

We then went for our walk and to see our parents as planned.

Back home, my sister sent me this picture (names and addresses erased by me) of the letter that was attached to the basked:

A woman who lives further down the street has written this message to all her neigbhours. It says that with so many of us feeling stressed out, exhausted and fed up this time of year, a little surprise may be welcome. Therefore, she has put together a stock of small gifts, and placed the basket at her neighbour's door. The intention is for every household to pick a parcel, and maybe (if they feel like it) add one of their own; then pass the basket to the next house. She hopes to get the basket back at Christmas, empty or not, and that it has brought a little cheer to every house.

People who have already had the basked are asked to write down where it's been, so that it does not go twice to the same house. A kind of secret Santa - you don't know what is in the parcels, who they are from and who is going to pick them.

Isn't that a lovely idea? Those who have so far participated, obviously think so, too; some of them have not only written down their family name and address but also left a short comment along those lines.

Let me end this post with this morning's sunrise, as seen from my kitchen window.

22 comments:

  1. I think that is a wonderful idea. As so many of my neighbours are new it would have been a good idea in the township.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too late to get started - there are still two weeks until Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I wonder whether my sister's neighbour had the idea herself; it really sounds like something that could spread.

      Delete
  3. Spreading the gift of cheer. So thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it certainly sounds much kinder and more thoughtful than what we see here far too often - delivered packages being stolen from people's front steps!
    I love this story and hope it will happen more often at Christmastime - time when sharing with others is so wonderful. I still find giving so much more exciting than receiving, don't you? Speaking of which I need to get my gift shopping completed this weekend so I can focus on some holiday baking etc. next week - time is flying.
    Hugs Meike dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stealing from people‘s front doors happens here, too. I guess, although it has never happened to me.
      I love the idea of the Christmas basket, too, and hope it happens not just in that one street.
      Time is flying indeed! Happy shopping and baking, Mary - don‘t overdo it, take good care of yourself.
      Hugs, Meike

      Delete
  5. How sweet! Your sister is lucky to have such nice neighbors!
    Love the photo of the sunrise! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sweet, isn‘t it! My sister does not know the woman personally, as is often the case with people living in the same street (or even in the same house) in a city.

      Delete
  6. The real spirit of Christmas is alive and well. What a heart warming idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. Heart warming is the right word.

      Delete
  7. It is a kind and thoughtful person who started it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Rachel. I wish I was a bit more like that.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful thing to do. As this damned pandemic continues into its third year, we could all do with happy surprises - lifting our spirits like the sunrise seen from your kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman named Andrea must have thought exactly the same when she started the basket thing.

      Delete
  9. Nice idea. Doubt it would work in my neighbourhood of tenement buildings, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, Monica; it would have to be adapted slightly to work in a building like yours.

      Delete
  10. Excellent idea and so inclusive showing wonderful seasonal spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think so, too. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  11. This is a lovely idea - I wonder what will be unwrapped? (I would give jars of home-made chutney.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your chutney would be a big hit! My sister picked a parcel that contained sweets, and I think she put in other sweets.

      Delete