Monday 2 January 2023

The Last Week of 2022

The week between Christmas and New Year was really busy - in a pleasant way and different than usual, but still busy.

On Monday, Boxing Day, the thermometre here showed 13 C (55.4 F) - good, because it meant we were not going to freeze in the largely unheated church! The village church saw its traditional family mass, with the music provided by the village band (including O.K.). 

Inside the village church half an hour before the start of mass. The lights are not all lit yet, and many of the seats are still waiting to be filled.
Afterwards, O.K. and I went home just long enough for him to change out of his uniform, and then drove to his sister and brother-in-law, who were hosting a festive family meal for the six of us. We took our traditional family portrait, enjoyed the excellent food and drink, and of course the company.

Back at the cottage, we were understandably not very hungry and just had a salad and a piece of bread with a little cheese while watching an old episode of Midsomer Murders.

I took the usual Monday morning train (only that it was a Tuesday) back to Ludwigsburg on Tuesday, the 27th, and arrived on the dot. It was a sunny day but somewhat colder. It was a regular working day for me. Two of my cousins from France arrived for the next few days, staying with my sister. For the evening, we all met at my Mum's for a family meal. It was so good to see them again, and this time for a happier occasion than when they'd been here for my Dad's funeral in October.

In the afternoon, I had managed a nice long walk and timed it to I arrived at my Mum's so that I could help with any last-minute preperations.








Wednesday (Dec. 28) was rather spring-like with a beautiful sunset and evening sky. 

This is not the sunset, but looking east at the colours reflected from the west.

The actual sunset; the view west from my flat is blocked by buildings.
Tonight, I was hosting the meal for Mum, sister and cousins, and so after work I prepared a thick creamy soup of butternut squash, spuds, carrots and parsnips. For spices, I used coconut fat, plenty of ground ginger, salt, pepper and a little muscat, giving the whole thing something of a Thai-style taste. I topped each plate with a swirl of rich cream and a few leaves of fresh coriander (sorry - forgot to take a picture of the finished soup). It went down really well, served with warm crunchy ciabatta and white wine. Dessert was star-shaped vanilla ice cream with a cinammon dusting and a bottom of dark chocolate. Oh, and for starters, we had the champagne (real, proper French champagne) that one of the cousins had brought.


I do love hosting meals and parties but do it far too rarely.

Thursday, the 29th of December, was another mild day at 12 C and mixed weather of cloudy morning, sunny mid-day and rain in the evening. I spent part of my lunch break on an errand for my Mum, adding a walk to it. 

For a change, a walk that did not end with a sunset!
The evening saw us once more gathering at my Mum's; it was the last evening together before our cousins were on their way to their parents (my Mum's brother) the next day.

And then Friday (Dec. 30) was here - my last working day of 2022! I can not begin to tell you how relieved I was at the end of it. It felt as if I'd been running a race and finally arrived at the finish. Not having any proper time off since September, plus the emotional and physical impact of my Dad's and R's deaths and funerals etc. has been taking its toll on all of us.

For the first time since Christmas Eve, I spent an evening on my own. I did not go out at all but, once I had wrapped up work, did my cleaning and then settled on the settee for a while before going to bed early-ish. The only two people I spoke to that day were my boss and O.K.

New Year's Eve was sunny and really warm at around 17 C (62.6 F). It felt so good to sleep in! I ran the washing machine one last time this year, went to the bakery and did a few other household things I had not felt like doing the day before. 

O.K. arrived at my place in time for a quick coffee and some Christmas cookies. We drove his car to my Mum's where we left it in the underground garage, safely tucked away from all those idiots who think it is funny to throw firecrackers at parked cars. A walk on the fields to catch the last of the daylight was next, along with a visit to the cemetery. 



We then helped my Mum setting up things for the evening and went home for a bit before returning in time for our small New Year's Eve celebration. There were five of us - Mum, Sis, Mum's friend, O.K. and myself. Our meal was a New Year's Eve classic - Raclette, followed by Feuerzangenbowle (try to pronounce it, if you dare!). You can find out what it is by clicking here on the wikipedia entry. That was quite exciting, and I felt uneasy at first, when the flames seemed to shoot higher than expected. 

The sugar loaf atop the mulled wine, looking quite harmless.

My Mum poured rum over the loaf and lit it...

...which was when the fun began!


Nothing happened - my Mum had it all perfectly under control.
Midnight saw the five of us on the balcony, clinking glasses of champagne and watching the fireworks. It was a rather emotional moment for us, and I am not ashamed to say that tears were flowing. 2022 slipping into 2023 - amidst loud bangs and some really beautiful fireworks - brought home to me how the last year with my Dad still around was over, and the first year that he and R would never know had just begun. I am welling up even as I am typing this. Oh well.

Anyway, in spite of the time of austerity so often proclaimed (and certainly felt for many) in this country throughout the year, the fireworks were huge and lasted a long time. We watched from the top windows across town as well as from the balcony. Afterwards, my Mum served delicious home-made pasta salad, and at around 2:00 am, we went home.

New Year's Day felt again much more like spring than like winter. It was at least 17 C warm; in the sun and with hardly any wind, the thermometer surpassed the 20 C mark (68 F) in places.  

After coffee and responding to messages from friends and family, we had a small breakfast of filet of trout with horseradish cream and Earl Grey, before packing our bags and walking over to my Mum's to pick up the car. Driving to the village took just over 1.5 hours in spite of the motorways being very busy and things coming to a standstill twice for a short time. 

We were at O.K.'s parents for 5:00 pm to toast the New Year with them, O.K.'s sister and her husband, and have their traditional meal for that day, all his Mum's delicious home-cooking.

Neither of us lasted very long, though, and we were at the cottage at 8:00 pm, going to bed as early as 9:30, also in view of our early start the next morning.

- - -

What a year... it was the saddest I have known, losing my Dad, R and other friends. On a larger scale and among many other things, there were the Ukraine war, energy crisis and prices rising like rarely before, and the on-going effects of the pandemic which is far from truly over. Of course you know all this and so I won't go into more detail. 

But let me say that I, on a personal level, had good times as well. There were beautiful walks and hikes, sunsets and sunrises, great books and films, two weddings, some birthdays and other gatherings with friends and family I enjoyed.

And last but not least, I thank you all for reading and commenting here. I am proud to be counted among your friends. You matter to me. Thank you once again, and all the best for you in this still very new year of 2023.

One side of my living room is still Christmassy...


...while the other side already holds a promise of spring (thanks to my sister, who brought me these tulips when I hosted our family meal).

PS: Nothing new here since I published this post originally - I merely amended a typing error.

20 comments:

  1. I think the sunsets are my favorite of the photos! I liked how you finished with a touch of spring. Makes us feel hopeful for the year to come. Wishing you a year filled with wonderful hikes, good health, lots of love, and fun adventures, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I am rather optimistic that the year will contain all this, and more, for me.

      Delete
  2. My Gosh ! Why have I never had a breakie of trout & horseradish ?
    Coffee, toast & a banana is all I ever permit myself.
    I like the tang of rum and have never seen it done like this before. Sugar loaf flambe !
    My Gosh ! Feuerzangenbowle is a tongue tripper like disestablishmentarianism.
    Emmie a Canadian book YouTuber (emmie lowercase framed with asterisks) uses My Goshes all the time which is a lot more polite than our Scottish exclamations.

    I hope and pray that you and your family have a safe and peaceful 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack; I hope the same for you.

      My absolute favourite breakfast (which O.K. and I have maybe twice a year) consists of fillet of trout with horseradish cream, golden toast with the butter slowly melting on it, a glass of tomato or orange juice, a glass of sparkling wine or prosecco, a mug of Earl Grey, a Laugen-Croissant, and to finish, a freshly baked roll with poppy seed, made up with butter and honey, followed by an espresso.
      Such a breakfast (usually taken at an hour when other people have lunch) lasts us all day.

      Delete
    2. Gosh Sakes (another emmie-ism) that is a breakfast for a German princess !
      I don't know what a Lauren-Croissant kind of croissant is but I can taste it !
      There was a cafe-restaurant in Glasgow run by an Italian family for generations.
      Their espresso had the aroma as in Roma; a bank bought out their shop site.
      A deli in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, sold its own coffee blend; it had its instore cafe.
      It's gone leaving Crolla in Leith which has the intense aroma of an Italia deli.
      The daughter in the family with an accounting background saved it from closure.

      Delete
    3. Valvona & Crolla. 19 Elm Row. Edinburgh.
      *Conversation with Mary Contini.* YouTube. 29 March 2022.
      They say that Mary saved the business.

      Delete
    4. It's Laugen, not Lauren. Click here for a picture of a Laugen-Croissant from the bakery where we usually order our Sunday morning delivery from.

      Delete
    5. Thanks. I must have had Betty Bacall in mind.
      *Lauren Bacall. Whistle.* YouTube.
      Black & white movies were screened on BBC TV when I was young.
      They Died With Their Boots On (Errol Flynn) was a favourite.
      Now you can see scenes & whole movies on YouTube.

      *Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers. Isn't This A Lovely Day?*
      I often watch this brilliant dance sequence with another:
      *Swan Lake - Pas de Quatre (Dance of the Small Swans) rehearsal.*
      Pacific Northwest Ballet.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful write-up of your 2022 year Meike. There was a great deal of sadness but also many celebrations with both your family and O.K.s. I have enjoyed your walks all through last year, it is good to see another country through the lens of your camera.
    Happy New Year may it bring you quiet contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thelma. I am glad I was able to convey something about what my walks mean to me, and managed to summarise my 2022.
      I wish the same to you. Most of the time, quiet contentment (and plenty of gratitude for the good things in my life) sums me up quite well.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had so many happy occasions to report - losing a parent is not easy but you must be gaining comfort from the fact that your Mum sounds to be coping welll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum is so brave! My sister and I are really proud of her. It also helps that the three of us live so close together. I can't imagine how hard it must for people who have nobody nearby to support them in times of sorrow.

      Delete
  5. I retired.I had the trip of a lifetime (so far, anyway) and I got a new grand daughter. The end of the year proved challenging, but if all those things are put into a box and shook up together, my good things have outweighed the bad. I wish that it could be that way for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good mental picture, Debby - a box full of what the year brought, and shook up, see how good and bad things outweigh or balance each other.
      Congratulations on your retirement, trip of a lifetime and new grand daughter!

      Delete
  6. Never heard of Feuerzangenbowle, had to look that up! (got the pronunciation more or less right, though...) Beautiful skies, and looks like a beautiful church in that first photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a classic German film (black & white, 1944) based on a novel from 1933 by the name "Die Feuerzangenbowle". It probably made this particular drink more popular in Germany, but in my family, this was only the 2nd time we had one.
      The Hofweier village church is baroque inside and out, but some of the paintings were done in the 1940s and 50s, showing a very different approach to the familiar subjects.

      Delete
  7. This was just so lovely to read. The happy and the sad. All of life really. I am so sorry about the deaths. I love the pictures that accompany your writing. You and your sister are such good daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan. Yes, all of life. Seems we can't have the happy without the sad, but hopefully, for most people the reverse is also true (it is definitely for me).
      Good to see you here - it's been a while since you posted, and I hope you and yours are well.

      Delete
  8. I cannot believe that I am reading this on the 12 January. Somehow looking back even those few weeks gives a different perspective. It's certainly been a strange year and, for you, a very emotional one. I do hope that this year is a better one for us all as individuals as well as the world situation. Despite all the reading I still managed to lose myself in your wonderful sky photos as well as the dramatic Feuerzangenbowle ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your hope for a better year than the last one. On a personal level, I am rather optimistic; not so much where the big picture is concerned.
      Thank you for liking my sky photos! As you know, the real thing is even more beautiful, but the photos are a good reminder and I like to look at them when I can't enjoy the outdoors for a few days in a row.

      Delete