Monday 13 February 2023

A Week of Sunsets

This post's headline means there was enough sun to see sunsets - and indeed there was! Also, I made up for not having walked much the week before and went on several walks. Because I don't want to make this weekly summary too long and bore you to tears, I shall end it with Friday and write an extra post for the weekend.

It was still cold and grey on Monday, the 6th of February; it even snowed a little late in the evening. After work, my sister and I met at my Mum's and helped her stow away the boxes of Christmas things. Some of these boxes have been in use for decades and needed replacing, and so we sorted, threw out, re-packed and labeled, and finally put everything away.

My Mum had asked for our help - climbing up and down the ladder to the attic is hard for her now, especially while handling boxes - and offered to cook for the three of us. I suggested this soup, a classic that we've always loved and often had when we were still all living at home: Grießklößchensuppe, a vegetable or meat broth with semolina dumplings and either green peas and sliced Wiener sausages or just vegetables, which was the choice on Monday. It was delicious and just right for a cold February evening.

View from my kitchen window at 10:30 pm, one night after Sunday's full moon.

Tuesday (Feb. 7) was even colder (-4 Celsius, below freezing point), but finally, the sky was clear and the sun shone brightly all day - I believe it was also the day when we hit the 5:30 pm mark for sunset. Hooray! 

I worked at the Weilimdorf office and got off the train in Zuffenhausen on the way home, walking the rest (ca. 9 km) which took me about 1 1/2 hours at a brisk pace - the cold did not invite a more leisurely pace, and I wanted to be off the fields and in a residential area with street lights before it got too dark.




Almost home, just before 6:00 pm; this is the view from the street parallel to mine.

Something unusual happened to me that evening - I FORGOT to eat chocolate!! I nearly always have chocolate after my evening meal in front of the TV, being on my own during the week. By the time O.K. and I were on the phone (as is our habit before going to bed), I had already brushed my teeth and only then remembered that I had not eaten any chocolate. And of course, I did not start then, with my teeth freshly brushed.

It was cold (-6 C) and sunny again on Wednesday, the 8th of February. I was in Weilimdorf again, but only had time for a 40 minute walk between work and an invitation to a meal from work at an Italian restaurant close to the office. My short walk was in a housing area just across the road from the industrial estate where I work, and it was new to me. I might go back there and explore a bit further some day.

A few minutes before sunset, and half an hour before I was due at the work dinner.
Thursday (Feb. 9) saw me working from home, allowing me to take full advantage of the afternoon sunshine. I interrupted work for about 2 1/4 hours and enjoyed every minute of my walk. 

When my Mum gave me this bunch of daffodils on Monday, they were just firmly closed buds. By Thursday, they were greeting me cheerfully every time I walked into the kitchen.




The same afternoon, my sister went to the cemetery and placed a potted primrose under my Dad's and friend R's bird markers.
It was an early start on Friday, the 10th of February, as I had to take two trains to Weilimdorf for the third time this week - but today, not to the office. Instead, my boss and I held a meeting of our regional group of Data Protection Officers. Our Stuttgart group counts around 75 members now, with usually about 20 attending the meetings. This time, almost half of the members joined in; it was good to see them all, catch up and exchange knowledge and ideas.

Good job I had set off from home really early - the local trains were not running, or running late, or running from a different platform than usual, or ending where they usually don't end, and so on. Still, I made it to the meeting in time, but was glad for the lift home my boss gave me afterwards.

Here is where we met, with a fine view of the sunlit hill "Grüner Heiner" ("Green Henry") at one end of the industrial estate where I work.

The open laptop computer you can see on the table in the far right corner is mine.

We had breakfast and our afternoon coffees and snacks in the adjacent room with a beautiful roof terrace - but it was too cold to go out, unless you were desperate for a fag.


Because I knew it was going to be a long and exhausting day, I was only travelling to O.K.'s on the Saturday, not the Friday evening. The day had been beautiful and sunny once more, but I did not have the opportunity for a walk.

Next up will be either one or two book reviews or my post about the weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, for a plate of broth with dumplings and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc !
    All the better with that view from your kitchen window, reminding me of Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey (YouTube) when we get to see the mysterious Obelisk on the moon.

    I am sure you will not have your mother venture up into the attic again : too dangerous.
    My parents had a deal : mother would hold the base of the ladder while father climbed.

    Years ago, I sat on the broad top of my wooden builder's ladders, intent on sorting out the books on my highest shelves, but absorbed in a book on UFOs, *Mysterious Visitors* by a serious researcher, Brinsley Le Poer Trench.
    It was a perfect midsummer's night, and I lost all track of time, reading about the sacred books of antiquity which identified the Sky People as divinities.
    Suddenly it was dark, or as dark as it ever gets in Scotland in summer, and I retired for the night, only to experience the strangest dreams I can recall.
    I now think of the ladders as my UFO steps, but I never again inquired too deeply into the world of Interdimensional Entities as abductees call the Greys.

    Nothing to beat a piece of Lindt milk chocolate with a cup of green tea and a psychological thriller that doesn't get too metaphysical.
    *My Brother* by Karen Smirnoff just out in paperback and rescued from a publisher's slush pile in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The broth with dumplings was eaten at my Mum's; from her dining table facing west, one can watch the sunset beautifully, while the nightly view is from my kitchen window, facing east.

      I don't know what you look like, but I now picture you on the top of your ladder, surrounded by countless books, and getting absorbed in one while you were intent on doing something entirely different.

      Lindt chocolate is nice, but what I buy for myself is mostly a fair trade brand of organic chocolate named Choco Changer, salted caramel being my favourite. And no green tea for me - I am really not keen on the stuff.

      Delete
    2. Those ladders have some magical significance for me; and I have always liked buildings with hidden stairways, quiet landings and odd turns.

      I am smitten by your office, the clean lines are everything the Bauhaus designers strove for; and I am smitten by Gruner Heiner; all industrial estates should have such a hill. Henry Green is one of my favourite writers.

      People thought I looked like Tom Bell (1933-2006) who died in his 73rd year, the very age I have now reached.
      *When you are pleased you frown and when you are happy you scowl,* people said and so apparently did Bell.

      My Japanese-American sister-in-law was shattered when she heard Tom Bell had died.
      She worked all her life as an editor with Fox in L.A.
      The L-Shaped Room, in which Bell starred with Leslie Caron, was one of her favourite films.

      Bell insulted the Duke of Edinburgh at a Royal Command Performance.
      Having learned that Bell was born in Liverpool the Duke said, *That's where people keep coal in the bath, isn't it?*
      Bell replied - I heard you can be a right ****.
      He said the Palace ruined his career, which was why he never got the roles of his contemporary Albert Finney.

      Delete
    3. I am in my 72nd year not 73rd : What a strange mistake to make !
      Teapigs Feng Green Tea and Matcha Japanese must have addled my head.
      Now I am wondering how long I have left. I don't want to go at 73 like Tom Bell.
      Haggerty will need a glass or three of wine tonight with Dinner.

      Delete
    4. Uhg - Matcha is another drink I honestly am not keen on. But each to his or her own!

      Not my office, but a meeting room in the building of one of our members who gracefully offered the space this time. We depend on our members for that, as we don't have a large enough room for such a purpose.
      My office - where I work between one and three days per week - has featured on my blog a few times, too; last time was in September:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2022/09/last-days-of-august-first-days-of.html

      Delete
    5. Green tea I only started to drink in my 60s for health reasons, detox etc.
      It does tastes like poison, if the bag remains in the cup longer than 3 minutes.
      I have 2 cups of coffee for breakfast and much to my regret don't drink any more.
      One rainy night last week I had an Americano in town with warm almond milk.
      At 15 I visited France Belgium Holland, coffee & beer became an obsession.
      Our Cosmo Cinema, opened by a Hungarian immigrant, had a coffee bar.
      It showed the great German, French, Italian movies and Ingmar Bergman's.
      Now the Glasgow Film Theatre in Rose Street, it stood near our School of Art.
      The day the Art School burned down I went to the GFT with friends for wine.
      We are now a European city where decent coffee, wine & beer is available.
      The YouTube videos of James Hoffmann are good if you like coffee.
      A few years ago he filmed London's oldest coffee establishments.

      Delete
    6. *Four London Coffee Institutions.* James Hoffmann. YouTube. 2017.
      Thanks for the link about your office which I shall read with much interest.

      Delete
    7. It took me until I was 18 before I liked the taste of coffee - couldn't stand the stuff when I was younger. But Librarian School changed that, with my friend and I downing one caffetiera of freshly brewed espresso after the other in our room at the residence hall.
      Now I usually have one large mug of coffee in the morning and one smaller mug after lunch. Nothing fancy, just fair trade organic coffee "pads" from Aldi for my Senseo coffee maker.

      Delete
  2. Your weeks must fly by with your train travels, work, hikes, family visits and trips to OK. I am glad you take the time to enjoy the sunsets and beauty around you! Thanks for sharing your photos, I enjoy seeing the country around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do fly by, Ellen; as my sister often says, every time you look around, it's Thursday again!

      Delete
  3. I can see why you call it a week of sunsets. It's a good idea to walk some of the commute, and I guess it must be getting light enough to do that more. What a strange but rather endearing name "Green Henry" is for a mountain. Here, mountains always have names which make them seem non human and ancient. Anyway you have a good view of him from that elegant looking meeting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "mountain" is a man-made landfill and I am not even sure that Grüner Heiner is its official name - it's the only name I know for it. Proper mountains have other names in Germany, too, such as Hohes Horn, Mooskopf, Brandeck, Silberköpfle, to name but a few from the area round O.K.'s village. Kopf means head and is a common ending of mountains' names.

      Delete
  4. What a busy lady you are! No wonder you are forgetting to eat your evening chocolate. And I read in a comment that you like salted caramel, that sounds so good. I wonder how you say caramel in German? I got some chocolate from Germany at Christmas, it is very good! Your Mom's meal for you looks great as does the lovely daffodils. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise, surprise - it's Karamell in German :-) But funnily enough, on our brands of chocolates, cookies and so on, the flavour salted caramel is always called salted caramel (in English), never gesalzenes Karamell - or at least I have never seen it.
      A lady in my parents' neighbourhood used to have a cat named Karamell. The name was fitting because the cat really was that colour, plus he was very sweet.

      Delete