Sunday 9 June 2024

My Mum's Cheese Bites

In this post, I mentioned my Mum's home-baked cheese crackers (on the Thursday in that post). Some of you were asking for the recipe, and here it is.

Maybe "crackers" is not the right term for them. One of the characteristics of a cracker is that it cracks when you bite or break off a piece. These don't; they are softer than crackers. So maybe we should call them cheese cookies (sounds odd), cheese straws (not really) or cheese bites (suits them best, I believe).


Anyway, here is what you need:

For the dough:

120 g grated cheese (a good, well-aged cheese such as a Conté works best - remember, the saltier and spicier the cheese, the less spice you'll need for the dough)

240 g regular white flour (not self-raising)
120 g cold butter, diced
1 egg
60 g sour cream
1/2 tea spoon salt
1/2 tea spoon sweet pepper powder
some pepper (preferably freshly ground)


For the topping:
 
1 egg yolk
1 table spoon milk
seeds (sesame, poppy, caraway, whatever you like and have at hand)



Make a dough and let it rest in the fridge for at least an hour. Take it out about 1/2 hour before you proceed; if the dough is too cold, it will be brittle and hard to work with.

Heat the oven to 180C.

Roll out the dough, not too thin. Now you can either cut finger-length strips and twist them once or twice (depending on their length), or cut out shapes like hearts etc. with cookie cutters.

These were the "twisted" ones we had the other day.

But they work just as well for Christmas or a New Year's Eve celebration.

Cookie cutters come in all shapes and sizes.



They are nice all year round!

Mix the egg yolk with the milk and spread it on top of the strips or cut-out shapes. Sprinkle liberally with the seeds.
Bake in the oven for about 12 - 15 minutes. Don't let them get too dark; keep checking. Let cool on a rack before trying one for quality control :-) and of course before packing them in a tin or other container. They won't keep well all that long, not like some sorts of Christmas cookies you can still eat weeks or even months later. Therefore, you better eat them soon - they taste best with a glass of wine or cocktails, and with friends :-D

16 comments:

  1. They look delicious. I can no longer cook but if I could I would crrtainly give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made them myself, but I sure know how to eat them!

      Delete
  2. Too much work for me! But they do look delicious, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Ellen - I don‘t make them, but I enjoy them very much!

      Delete
  3. These looks wonderful and not hard at all. I like seeing them in the little shapes -- wouldn't that be cute at Christmas as stars? Little hearts at Valentine's day? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my Mum and my sister make cheese bites for various occasions throughout the year, and they are welcome no matter what shape they ate.

      Delete
  4. I have to try these one day soon! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are at least as great as they look, Jennifer!

      Delete
  5. I think we'd just call them cheese things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that, too, but found bites more fitting.

      Delete
  6. These sound splendid for those who like cheesy things. I think cheesy things is what we would have called them in my mum's house although I don't think she ever made anything like this. A regular flour in Britain, not self-raising, is called Plain Flour. I thought you may like to know this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, of course it‘s plain flour - I know the term but it didn‘t come to mind when I was typing the recipe.
      Cheesy things suits them well. In German, we call them Käsegebäck, literally cheese bakes.

      Delete
  7. Mmmmm! What's that about "trying one for quality control"? Don't you mean, "trying one because you are too greedy to wait"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality checks are super important when it comes to food! You don't want to serve your loved ones something that isn't right, do you?

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a lovely recipe and very "German" also for some reason. (I don't know why. Maybe it is the poppy seeds?) I will definitely make it. By the way I saw in the most recent comments that your mother will be celebrating her 80th birthday soon. I must say she looks really good. I would have thought from the photos alone that she is in her 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my Mum were in her 60s, she would have had me and my sister very young - I am 56, and my sister is 57 😊
      She will be pleased to read your comment!

      Delete