We got off the bus opposite the Museum Gardens and had a leisurely stroll there while waiting for my niece B. (who lives in York) to arrive.
![]() |
| The Yorkshire Museum |
The four of us then went to a large, recently opened independent bookshop - the dream of every book lover! Shelves from floor to ceiling line every wall in the maze-like rooms on two floors, complete with ladders on rails when you want something from the upper boards.
If you want to look them up, here is their website.
After we‘d spent quite a bit of time (and a little money) in there, lunch was next on our agenda. We went to the York Minster Refectory, where we‘d been before on B.‘s recommendation. As at our previous visit, we were happy with the friendly service and delicious food. The Ploughman‘s Lunch I chose from the menu‘s Light Bites section could easily have served two!
A stroll through The Shambles followed.
Scenic boat cruises on the river Ouse were on offer, and for the first time since we have made a day out in York a fixture of our holiday, we took this opportunity to see and learn more of the city.
It was really nice and relaxing to just sit there, listening to the guide‘s more or less witty commentary and observing the scenery while the boat was tuckering along at a gentle pace.
Back on dry land, B. was ready to go home, and we walked her to her car before having tea/coke at a café opposite the Museum Gardens, where we boarded the P & R bus afterwards.
A. drove us back to Ripon, and although fields, meadows and gardens are parched from weeks without rain, it was still a nice drive through the beautiful Yorkshire countryside.
Our landlord and landlady asked us over for a meal that evening, and it was especially nice to sit in their back garden in the golden evening light until it became too chilly to be comfortable and we retreated indoors.






















The evening light IS golden at this time of year, isn't it? It's not just me. :)
ReplyDeleteThe boat cruise sounds like a great way to see York. I didn't think to look for one of those the last time we were there, but Dave would love it. We may have to go back!
No, it‘s not just you - the golden light pulls me out of the house whenever possible.
DeleteThe boat cruise is really good for getting away from the traffic and crowds for a while and at the same time seeing more of the city.
I adore Toppings- my local is the branch in Bath which is lovely - your trip sounds wonderful
ReplyDeleteSiobhan x
It was new to us but certainly a place we will return to! Have you ever tried their Tea/Coffee with a Bookseller?
DeleteA Ploughman's ? What did you have to drink with it ?
ReplyDeleteIt isn't like you to withhold, Meike. So I made up the brew from my feeble imagination.
Theakston or Black Sheep. North Yorkshire Cast Ales. Or Guzzler a light, amber beer.
Or a Pale Ale ? Timothy Taylor's Landlord a subtle hop tone perfect with pickle onions.
Half Moon. Microbrewery. Their beers have a citrus flavour, goes well with Cheddar.
I'll pour myself a Theakston and listen to the Inspector Morse Theme on YouTube.
Morse liked his Ale.
Inspector Morse Theme Full Version. Barrington Pheloung (1954-2019).
DeleteQuite magical, the way he incorporated the Morse Code into the music.
The Dead of Jericho was my first Morse novel, read in 1981.
They hadn't yet cast John Thaw, who became Morse for millions of fans.
Jericho was broadcast on television in January 1987.
I‘m not really a beer drinker (except for a nice refreshing shandy when we‘re out hiking) and I didn‘t feel like any alcoholic drink, so I went for an elderflower sparkle. We also had a bottle of chilled tap water on the table to share; it wasn‘t hot but we were out in the sun for most of the day.
DeleteI never watched Morse but loved Lewis, music also by Pheloung. Wonderful.
I love York, but my one lasting memory is of my daughter accidentally dropping her phone down the toilet in a cafe in The Shambles and us spending the rest of the holiday looking for a mobile phone repair shop! You seem to get on really well with the landlord/lady, so assume you know them from before.
ReplyDeleteOh no! I guess mobiles end up in toilets a lot, which is one reason why I never carry mine in the back pocket of my jeans (also because I find it uncomfortable).
DeleteYes, we‘re made friends with them soon after they took over the row of cottages fron the former owner (who we‘re also friends with). J and S are such nice people, we are really glad that they bought the place and not someone hard to get along with; important when you are next door.
I did look up the book store and WOW! How i would love to see it! It just opened in June but the building was from 1860! A fantastic bookstore, a river cruise, Ploughman's lunch, lovely gardens and a drive through the countryside-all make me homesick for England. x
ReplyDeleteIt‘s a booklover‘s heaven, Kay!
DeleteHave you got plans for an England trip?
The bright blue skies are so nice. I'm glad you had good weather for your adventure there.
ReplyDeleteI must admit it is very nice not having to carry a raincoat or umbrella when we‘re out and about, but everywhere is just so parched; we‘re desperate for rain in many places across Europe.
DeleteThat was a perfect day and just right for a leisurely boat trip. I visited the book website and of course I purchased a first edition. 😄Lovely website - I shall be returning for gifts.
ReplyDeleteIt's a long time since I visited York - it i is indeed a most impressive city.
How nice that my post inspired you to buy a first edition from Toppings! May I ask what it is?
Delete