Last week we finally had some very welcome rain and cooler temperatures. I was looking after my neighbours' cat and two rabbits before work as well as in the evenings, and we had the third of four birthdays to celebrate this month.
I worked from home on Monday (17 August), doing an errand for my Mum in between as well as taking care of my furry charges before and after work.
Also, for the first time in two months I went to have a much needed back & shoulders massage at the nearby day spa. It was lovely to see the lady who usually treats me, but sad to hear the news that the day spa is closing down at the end of September. It's been around for decades, changed hands a few years ago when the founders retired, and I have been a regular for around 20 years. It is unclear what will happen; new owners? Current staff able to continue? Permanent closure? In any case, I will miss this very conenvient opportunity to have my aches and pains taken care of, as well as the conversations with the ladies there.
The day was very pleasant at 19 to 24C/66 to 75F, sun and clouds.
Tuesday (18 August) brought some lovely, gentle rain and was even cooler at 17-23C/62-73F.
I found Neo the cat playing with a small mouse in the garden, which I quickly caught when he let it go. It seemed completely unharmed, just scared, and I carried it to what I consider a safe spot at the end of the garden where Neo can't get to properly, and released it. In the meantime Neo was still looking for the mouse at the spot where he'd last seen it, but he willingly came indoors with me for some food to distract him.
After work, I intended to walk to Benningen but changed plans when reaching Freiberg (the town between Ludwigsburg and Benningen). The rain was becoming more intense and there was thunder; the next part of my walk would have lead across wide open fields, which I thought unwise, and instead took a local train back home from there.Later I spent about half an hour with Neo on the settee at his house, reading from my kindle while he was purring next to me.It was hot again on Wednesday (19 August) at 31C/88F but not unbearably so. I worked at the office in Weilimdorf, got off the train one stop after my usual one and walked to Benningen from there - no rain this time.
| Sunrise that morning, as seen from my kitchen. |
| Many fields around here are in such a sorry state this year. Farmers speak of up to 70% loss of harvest for lack of rain. |
| This could just as well be somewhere in Africa - not on the fields between Freiberg and Benningen! |
Thursday (20 August) wasn't too warm at 26C/79F, but it was humid and everything felt sticky. Showery rain in the afternoon made little difference but of course the water was welcome.
My sister and I met at our Mum's and went for a walk on the fields together as part of our extended way home.
I had another reading/purring session with Neo in the evening.| Sunset that evening, as seen from my study... |
| ...and from my living room. |
| Sunrise on Friday |
On Saturday (22 August) was my sister-in-law's birthday (O.K.'s sister). I took three different trains to arrive in Offenburg at around 2:00 pm, where my husband picked me up. We had a quick late lunch on the balcony; the weather was dry and pleasant at 21C/70F and went for a walk around the village later.
In the evening, the five of us (O.K.'s sister and her husband, his Mum, O.K. and I) drove to the nearby town of Lahr, where my sister-in-law had booked a table for us at a nice restaurant to celebrate. We were outside in the garden near a large old tree and enjoyed very good food, friendly service and of course the company.
Sunday (23 August) warmed up to 24C/75F after a chilly start at 9C/48F. We had breakfast on the balcony and "for lunch" went to have ice cream in town before driving to Ortenberg where we walked a favourite walk of ours, starting at Ortenberg castle which you have seen several times on my blog, taking in the views from the vineyards with part of the way leading through woodland.
| Schloss Ortenberg (Ortenberg Castle) |
| Another view of the castle, about half way into the walk |
| Like every year, some vineyards have been faring better than others. |
| The woods have an autumnal look already. |
| The Vosges Mountains (France) on the horizon. |
I love these evening skies! Happy belated birthday to your SiL!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ellen! I know she reads my blog, so I hope she'll find your comment, too.
DeleteHappy birthday to your sister-in-law. What a nice way to celebrate.
ReplyDeleteYour sunset photographs are glorious.
Thank you, Janice!
DeleteIt was a nice and quiet birthday celebration, no big noisy "do". My sister-in-law is no fan of big noisy crowds, or of being made a fuss of.
Like Ellen & Jabblog, I like those sunset skies ; that photo does look like Africa.
ReplyDeleteThe photo below is like the gateway to Heaven : near Freiberg & Benningen ?
Ortenberg Castle is a place of dreams ; and those vineyards drank up the rain.
Fieldmouse in your hand, rescued from Neo's clutches, quivered in thankfulness.
Neo on the windowsill ; cats don't pose, they don't care what we think, like Cleopatra.
Blogger glitched and misread your text ; A.I. errs too or so my IT pals assure me.
The photo below the "African" one was from the next day, Jack, not from that same walk. I took it shortly after my sister and I left our Mum's and instead of going straight home, went for a walk on the fields at her end of town.
DeleteI felt so sorry for the little mouse and was glad to see it looking perfectly alright. Hopefully, it went home to fully recover from its near fatal adventure.
Yes, AI errs - a lot. It is not programmed to be correct, it is programmed and trained to find the most probable result. A wise person has said about AI: "AI is not about truth, it's about probabilities." We always need to keep that in mind when dealing with AI.
Beautiful skies and views - and well done on saving the mouse! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Monica! I couldn't NOT help the little mouse :-)
DeleteThis is Jennifer. Every time I "sign in" to my blog, and click on yours, it reverts back to me being anonymous. I can see both your posts this morning, and there is nothing "adult" about this one. How weird. Apparently Blogger is playing up today. Sigh. I guess we get what we pay for!
ReplyDeleteHello Jennifer, strange, that... It's happened to me, too, that I was signed in as normal but could not even comment on my own blog other than as "Anonymous". Sometimes refreshing the page helped, sometimes it didn't - I can't see a pattern there and believe it is really just Blogger playing up.
DeleteNo problem reading it and certainly not 'adult content'!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Addy. No, definitely no "adult" (or otherwise sensitive) content!
DeleteNice photos. I am mystified why this would have been flagged by Blogger. I can only guess it didn't like the mention of the massage? Very strange!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Steve.
DeleteThe word "massage" appears frequently on my blog, because when it's not too hot or I am not too busy, I go every week, so I wonder why this should all of a sudden trigger a flag.
No problems reading your post.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes from the Netherlands.
Thank you, guusje!
DeleteJust catching up. Lovely photos. AI is, as they say all the time, not always correct.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Rachel. Yes, it's more "human" in that aspect than we like :-D
DeleteQuite often such rescued mice die soon afterwards anyway from shock or internal injuries, but at least you gave it a chance. Is the very people-oriented, or does it already know you well?
ReplyDeleteHello marcellous!
DeleteIn your last sentence, you mean the cat, right? He is one year old this month and lives with a family of five, parents and three boys aged 9 to 15. He loves to play and is very much used to being around people, and he also knows me from looking after him for two weeks in May/June. He loves a good cuddle and to curl up on my lap for a snooze.