The weekend after my return from Yorkshire (Saturday/Sunday, 1st and 2nd of August) my husband and I spent at my place in Ludwigsburg - understandably, I didn't feel like yet another train trip the day after I'd just arrived, and of course I wanted to do my washing and generally get ready for back to work on the Monday.
It was (and is) still very hot and way too dry in my part of the world; such a contrast after the pleasant summer weather we'd had in England.
On the Saturday, O.K. arrived in time for a late-ish lunch of Tabouleh after which we walked into town for an espresso first and icecream later. We also visited a couple of shops for an errand or two and then walked on to the palace grounds for a stroll in the shade there.
After a rest at home and considering various options for dinner we ended up at "my" Irish pub at a table outdoors on the market square and had fish & chips, very nicely done to our "extra crisp, please" specification and helped along with refreshing well-chilled cider.
For the Sunday we had arranged to meet with my sister at my Mum's at 11:00 for a welcome-back breakfast. On the way there we stopped at a bakery and bought croissants for all of us. Afterwards, O.K. and I walked the short distance to the cemetery and then home, where we unsuccessfully attempted to rest a while during the hottest part of the afternoon. It was just too noisy in and around the house.
Eventually, I prepared a light meal for us, finished off with delicious icecream (which was anything but light) and when my husband left for the long drive home, I went on a walk for another hour to catch the sunset and enjoy the slightly cooler evening air.
I now felt ready to pick up work again the next morning.
What a lovely reintroduction to home, and a gentle return to the working week, I hope..
ReplyDeleteThe return to work was gentle; it only took me one full day to catch up with the most important tasks, and another half day or so to finish the rest of what had landed in my inbox during the two weeks I was off.
DeleteI liked those words : My husband and I.
ReplyDeleteLunch followed by Espresso and Ice Cream. Great to be Home !
Fish & Chips at your Irish Pub. Cod or Haddock ?
I don't eat outdoors but I might just make an exception in Deutschland.
Slightly cooler evening air sounds like bliss.
I woke today (Monday) in Glasgow. Another scorcher.
My A.I. Microsoft Co-Pilot said 2027 could be just as Hot.
I love to say or write "my husband"!
DeleteNo idea weather the fish at the pub is cod or haddock; in any case, it was good. People who live close to the Sea and are used to having their fish almost straight from the boat would probably say it can't be good so far away from the coast, but we still enjoyed it very much.
Eating outdoors is tricky for me, too, because I am very nervous around wasps, but we were fine that evening.
Wasps are pesky. It feels weird to eat outside in Glasgow's grey streets.
DeleteIn Barcelona in 1970 I had beer and ham sandwiches outside all the time.
I recall a wonderful outdoor lunch in Heidelberg in 1975 : German lager !
Years ago a buddy said, * I loved Bianca so much I couldn't wait to say to
to people, This is my wife Bianca ! * The best case for marriage I heard.
It must be a happy celebration each weekend when you are back together again with your husband!
ReplyDeleteOur Friday evening meals are something I look forward to every time, Ellen!
Delete"Welcome back" - even if here in Blogland you were never absent! 😉
ReplyDeleteThank you, Monica .-)
DeleteA truly proper summer break.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely was.
DeleteTough to deal with hot weather if you have enjoyed the pleasant summer weather in England! Ah, just the description of your fish and chips make my mouth water! Do you like to have vinegar on them the way they do in England? I don't mind it myself, but I just like to eat them without any sauce.
ReplyDeleteNo vinegar or anything else on my chips. The fish always comes with a wedge of lemon and I squeeze a bit of that over that, but otherwise I eat fish & chips without any sauce. And I must confess I eat it all with my fingers - and afterwards need to be hosed down because I manage to get greasy all over :-D
Delete