Every year since we've known each other (10 1/2 years now), my husband and I have been going away together in May and September, mostly staying in hotels that offer organic food and have their own spa, somewhere in the mountains where we love to hike. This year is no exception, and on Wednesday we have returned from such a holiday in Austria.
Before I start my introduction to where we've been staying, let me point you to my review of the 15th book I have read this year. The author of that book emailed me after she had come across my review, and her message was a lovely surprise - it's great hearing from an author, and although it has happened before through my blog, it's been a few years since the last direct contact with someone whose book I've enjoyed and blogged about. Please click here for my post from the end of May and scroll down to the addendum.
Right - back to Bizau - literally! In September 2023, we had spent our hiking holiday in this village of roughly 1,200 inhabitants, at the same hotel (the "Schwanen", meaning The Swan). We really liked it there and always thought of returning. Of course, I blogged about our 2023 stay, starting with this post.
O.K. drove us there on Sunday, August 30. Just like three years ago, it took us about 3 1/2 hours to reach Bizau and the Schwanen. The hotel's website is here; the link takes you to the English version but please be aware that almost all of the text is still in German, only the headlines have been translated.
It was just before 5:00 pm when we arrived; check-in was quick, unpacking took a little longer, and then it was time for dinner. The food was as delicious and the service as friendly as we remembered it.
A sunset walk around the village followed. It was not only nice to see what had changed in the last 3 years and what was still the same, it was also amazing (and had been for good part of the drive) to see so much GREEN when back home everything was yellow and brown from the draught and heat.
Here are a few pictures to show you our room, the view from there, the hotel from the outside and how it is situated in the heart of the village.
The hotel from the front:
And from the back. I have marked our balcony with a blue circle. You can see how close the church is, and the large building in front of the hotel is the elementary school with sports hall, often functioning as the village hall:
The lounge - the only place with WiFi in the hotel:
Our room:Very fittingly, this sign is at one corner of the main road through the village. It says: "Caution! Cats! Please drive slowly".
We knew we were going to really enjoy our time here, and we did - as you will see over the next days. You'll probably soon have enough of pictures showing mountains and trees and views, but even though many will look similar, no two hikes or places were the same.
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, Meike!
ReplyDeleteWe did, Ellen!
DeleteMy forgetful mind had erased Kanisfluh. Glorious in sunset.
ReplyDeleteI read my comments from three years ago. Like remembering a dream ...
Bizau is Narnia. A secluded place where Gunther Nollau might have vacationed.
Anywhere that cats are nurtured and honoured has to be paradise !
Cats and cows easily outnumber people there, but they don't speak... at least not to us, and I saw neither Lion nor Witch.
DeleteThe Narnia books had a big impact on my childhood, but I never imagined it to look like Bizau.
No, Bizau isn't Narnia but your new post is a Door into Enchantment.
DeleteKanisfluh I really had forgotten. Your older post was only three years ago.
A Proust moment. Recovering the memory of Kanisfluh was a magical moment.
Let's see, which photo do I like the most...the mountain lit up by the setting sun or the cat surveying the world after climbing up the exquisite staircase? I can't choose! What a lovely place! That's great the author contacted you! I've read she has written some children's books too although they must be out of print, I can't seem to find them.
ReplyDeleteThank you for going back to my post with the author's message!
DeleteAt Amazon, I have found Ann Parker's children's book "Magic and Memories" as a paperback; I deliberately searched "amazon.com" and not "amazon.de", so I think it should be available in the US.
I love the sunset picture of the Kanisfluh. Great light!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I read your post featuring your book review and the response from Parker. So cool that she found your post and responded! I always think my blog is way too inconsequential to get a response from such a person, so it's nice to know that it can happen. (Authors are just people too, right?)
DeleteO.K. took that sunset picture. It was even more beautiful in real life.
DeleteYes, authors are just people, too - and from those I have been in touch with through my blog I know that they usually love hearing from their readers. It's been a while since I last had any such correspondence, and Ann Parker's message was a nice surprise.
That mountain sunset photo is really unusual!
ReplyDeleteO.K. took it. The colours were more intense in real life, as is sometimes the case with sky photos.
Delete