Back from our hiking holiday in Austria since Wednesday afternoon, before I start writing about the very good time we've had there I want to post this review of a book I highly recommend and finished reading the evening before I left for the holiday:
The Museum of You
Carys Bray
A charity shop find in Ripon, this paperback for a mere £1.49 was one of the best reads I've had so far this year.
The main character is Clover Quinn, whose mother died when Clover was a baby. She lives with her father, Darren, who has raised her alone while working shifts as a bus driver. An elderly neighbour has been most helpful, as has been Clover's granddad.
The book starts at the beginning of the school holidays. This summer, Clover is finally deemed old and responsible enough to be on her own while her Dad is at work. Instead of having to spend much of the day at her neighbour's, she is tasked with looking after the allotment (which she loves) but otherwise left to her own devices.
Just before school closed for summer, her class went to a museum where the story of the Titanic was told from the perspective of individual passengers; who they were, what became of them and so on. Clover is fascinated with this approach to history and hatches a plan that will keep her occupied all summer: She'll create a museum for the mother she never knew!
She has always known very little about her. It pains her Dad to talk about her, and everyone else who knew her (mainly the neighbour and her granddad) don't freely share their personal memories. But there is the bedroom where her parents slept and that has become a place of storage; full of boxes and things piled up on the empty bed and around the wardrobe. Clover usually doesn't go in there, but now is the time.
Without her Dad knowing what she's up to, Clover systematically sorts through the things she finds in the room, and interprets them in her way. Some items obviously belonged to her mother, like the beautiful skirt balled up at the bottom of the wardrobe. But what about the piles and piles of holiday brochures? And why was she "a surprise"?
When the chapters aren't told through Clover's eyes, it's her Dad's turn. Darren has never stopped loving and grieving Becky, and he loves his daughter with all his heart, making sure she is happy and has everything (and more) she needs. But once upon a time, he thought his life was going to take a very different path, and sometimes he can't help but think of what was, what could have been and what is.
Then one day, before Clover has finished her work in the bedroom and can lead her Dad through the exhibition she has created about her mother, he enters the room by himself, completely unaware of what his daughter has been doing there...
There is much, much more to the book than what I am describing here, but I would like you to read it for yourself and don't want to give it all away. It is very touching; there is friendship and family relationships, happiness and grief, how we remember the same events and interpret the same things differently, and ultimately, love - between parents and children, neighbours and friends.
Some bits are quite funny, others can move you to tears. The language is beautiful and the characters are plausible.
I'd not heard of the author before, but I'd like to read more of her work. Carys Bray's website is here.
Unfortunately, I cannot find her books at any library in my system. Too bad because you did make the book sound very good! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures, Meike!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ellen! How disappointing that your libraries do not carry any of Carys Bray's books; I am sure you'd have liked this one.
DeleteA museum for the mother she never knew ! Recovering the irrecoverable ...
ReplyDeleteHappiness is difficult to convey in a novel. It writes white. Carys Bray succeeded..
A reviewer said Bohumil Hrabal wrote a sort of dancing realism.
Our lives are like that ... What could have been, what we didn't expect to happen.
Yes, Carys Bray succeeded.
DeleteDancing realism is a good expression.
ReplyDeleteThis post illustrates why I’m a regular visitor to the charity shop bookshelves. It’s not just the cheapness , which is nice , or the chance to contribute to charity , also a good thing . It’s more about the chance of discovering a little unknown treasure - a book I wouldn’t have found via a bookshop or the Amazon behemoth . I’ve found quite a few too . Do you have the same charity book sellers in Germany ? I shall look out for this book .
Wendy in York
Hello Wendy, I'm a big fan of charity shops. Some in Ripon are extremely tidy and clean with the clothes, books and other things very well presented. This year, I brought back a skirt and this book.
DeleteWhile we do have charity shops in Germany, there aren't quite as many as in the UK (at least not in my area). The church in the centre of my town holds a second hand book sale one Saturday every month, and when I happen to be here for the weekend, I like to browse - and find something every time. Usually, I buy the paperbacks at 2 euros each, and once I've read them, I take them back to the stalls so that the church can sell them again.
This sounds wonderful. I shall look out for her books.
ReplyDeleteIt was wonderful, and if you find this (or other books) by Carys Bray, I'd like to know how you liked them.
Delete