Thursday 8 March 2012

A Birthday Parcel

Not so long ago, I wrote about my mother-in-law here, and you were all very kind. I have spoken to her on the phone several times since, and will do so again today, because it is her birthday today.
It also happens to be the International Women's Day today, by the way.

Last week, I prepared and sent a birthday parcel to Mary.
She loves to read and keeps me supplied with reading material; I usually get a package with books from her for my birthday and another one for Christmas, and some of the book reviews you find on my blog are about those I got from her.
Therefore, I sent her a book as well; I read "Remarkable Creatures" in 2010 and was quite impressed by it, so I hope she will like it, too.
Green, especially sage, is her favourite colour; it matches her eyes, and because I know she will like it, I have included a green glass candle holder in the shape of a flower, complete with apple-scented candles.
The card I have written is hand-made; a piece of pale green fabric embroidered with tiny pearls and silver thread. It was made by a lady in Bangladesh and was part of the things we sold at the Christmas market at our charity booth, and I bought it with Mary in mind.

With the light from the camera, the pale green and lilac colours of the wrapping paper does not come out quite as nicely as it is in real life, but I think the overall look of the parcel is pretty and she will like it.

When I'll go over to see her at the end of April, there will be a pile of books waiting for me - she already told me she was not going to send me a package for my birthday this year, since I'll be in England a few weeks afterwards anyway.

Paul's funeral service was last week. It won't be the happiest of birthdays for Mary today, but I do hope she will still have a good day under the circumstances.

As for me, I am a bit on the tearful side today, after Pukky's death yesterday. It feels odd being without a cat, having my morning coffee without her on my lap, and looking at all her favourite resting and sleeping places in my flat, knowing she will never be there again. Today, I will try to focus on work, and on the many good things in my life - one of them being the ball on Saturday night RJ has invited me to.
Here is a glimpse of the dress and accessories I am going to wear - and I will even paint my finger nails, something I have not done in about ten years!

18 comments:

  1. Life has been a bit tough for you recently, and I am so sorry about the cat, too. I think you're right to concentrate on the ball. What colour will you paint your nails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenny, sometimes things just have that tendency to happen in clusters, don't they? I'll use the pale pink varnish, the bottle is visible on the picture next to the handbag.

      Delete
  2. Hello Meike:
    We are so very, very sorry to read of Pukky's death. He was such a loving pet and you will be bound to miss his company and his little ways. You have had so many difficult issues to deal with recently that your reserves must be running low. It is good to have something positive to look forward to and we hope that you have a lovely time at the ball.

    The gifts for Mary look wonderful. We are sure that she will be delighted with them. As for the dress, absolutely fabulous. And, hussied up with the pearls, the evening bag and a splash of nail lacquer, you are bound to make heads turn. Enjoy, enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane and Lance. I do find it hard to focus on work today, but my boss sent me a very kind email, telling me to take things slow today and hoping that my cat "arrived safely at the 'Angel Hotel' " (of course, this kindness made the tears flow again, but there you go).

      Tomorrow after work, RJ and I will go and buy a pair of proper dancing shoes for me (at a special shop); the ones I have been using until now are not quite good enough anymore. I shall wear them at the ball for the first time :-)

      Delete
  3. That package for Mary is beautiful! I really love that card, I would frame it.
    Looking forward to seeing you dressed up for the ball!
    I hardly ever paint my nails either, but just lately I have been trying...must distract folks from the rest of me! HA!
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I have another one such card in pale pink; I don't know yet who I will send it to, but whoever it will be eventually, I hope they'll like it, too. It is very possible that I won't be happy with the way my hands look with painted nails (I do not particularly like my hands and therefore try not to direct attention to them), and I'll wipe the varnish off before we leave...

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry about Pukky. Too soon to think about another cat, but perhaps one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I don't want another cat; I miss her terribly but I want to give myself one pet-free year (for the first time since I was 9 years old) and then decide if I still/again want a cat (or two).

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Pukky also. That's so hard. And yet, one day later, you are thinking about someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really hard, Mark, but I am glad I was there with her. The cat I had before Pukky died in July 2002, and I still think of her. They are all different from each other, and I remember each and everyone of our cats.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your cat. But how lucky that cat was to be owned by you!

    The present you've put together for Mary looks beautiful and I'm sure she'll be pleased.

    Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post has made me cry...because I know the sadness you are feeling, having experienced this very thing a few times myself. I love cats. Pukky had a beautiful life once she was in your care and you gave her so much love and companionship. This doesn't keep the tears away, but it was a very good thing nonetheless.

    What a thoughtful gift-giver you are! Mary is blessed to have you as her DIL.

    Your dress is very pretty and I hope ball will give you lots of pleasure and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, thank you. Yes, it was good and I did the best I could for Pukky, for the 10 years she was with me.

      Delete
  8. Mary will like her birthday gift. What a thoughtful and beautiful package. So nice you put thought and effort in making the package lovely outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, this is something I really like; I am usually not the most creative person when it comes to making something with my hands (I do not sew or knit etc.), but I like making things look nice.

      Delete
  9. Kia kaha, Meike. Enjoy the ball.

    PS I don't usually paint my nails either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. Well, some of your shirts would, I am sure, look very cheerful if accompanied by painted finger nails :-)

      Delete