Tuesday 9 December 2014

Green

When I was in my mid-twenties, I had several dark green items in my wardrobe. It was a colour I then liked very much. One was a cashmere jumper I loved to wear, and I had a Laura Ashley skirt with matching jacket made of a bottle green velvet.
Some years later, I somehow "came off" the whole Laura Ashley thing, and my wardrobe exploded in light blue and yellow and pink. Of course, I could go on about the psychological reasons for all that, but that would bore you to tears. Suffice to say that last year in winter, I saw a lady at our biggest client's office dressed in dark green and looking so good in that outfit that it brought green back to my attention. During last winter, I did look at a few green things but didn't find anything I really wanted. Then, when I went to Ripon in the summer, I found the green wool dress at a vintage shop, the dress I showed you for the first time here.

Now that it is colder, I won't be comfortable in short sleeves, so I have been wearing a shirt underneath the dress. It makes for a nearly non-existant waist with all that fabric, but it is still a beautiful dress, I think. It will also work well with a black shirt (I have this same type of shirt in six different colours).



On home office days or weekends, this top (it looks blueish there but it really is a dark green) has become one of my favourites this autumn. I found it at Aldi's, and you can imagine it came at a very low price. It is not warm enough on really cold days, but so far, we have not had any of these.
Oh, and I'll get a hair cut again some time. I promise!

17 comments:

  1. These outfits look very good! I would like to see the top which looks really blue on my computer as the green it is.......I love wearing three quarter length sleeves. At this time of year I'm wearing lots of turtleneck tops with sweaters. We have had quite cold weather.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit colder here now, too, but when I know I'll spend most of the day indoors, I can still wear the green top with the three quarter length sleeves. Outside, it's a different story!

      Delete
  2. Don't ask me about fashion. I am to fashion what The Pope is to disco dancing or what Osama bin Laden was to international relations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of them. Green, unfortunately, is one of those colors, along with yellow and orange, that I can't wear. They make my skin look yellowish. It looks good on you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For years, I was convinced I couldn't wear red. Nowadays I just wear any colour I like.

      Delete
  4. I like both outfits and you are right, that second photo, the top looks blue rather than green! Trick of the light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blueish green, what in German is called Petrol, but it definitely is more green than blue. And of course the light and how the camera interprets it also make a difference.

      Delete
  5. In my experience it's very hard to find any colour that does not happen to be "in Fashion of the season" (whoever does decide that?) in the shops. I do have a basic range of coulours that I prefer, but I notice that there is even a slight difference in hues when trying to buy things bought recently with things I bought a year ago. Having had to exchange almost my whole wardrobe over the past 1½ years after losing weight, these subtleties become even more noticeable! Some colours just can't be found in the wrong season (or year). But I'd say certain dark greens seem to perhaps be on the way back after a long absence... I bought a fleece jacket and a shawl this autumn in a dark warm moss green - a bit darker than your dress, but more like that kind of green than the blueish green of the sweater. It's to be noted that I did nor buy them at the same time or in the same shop, the material in each is different, and they are not the same "label". They still match perfectly... (It would have to be very cold indeed for me to wear them both together, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... oops that should read "when trying to MATCH things bought recently with things bought a year ago"

      Delete
    2. I understood that, Monica :-)
      Yes, who decides? It is maybe a mutual agreement of fashion designers and the buyers for the big brands.
      Your dark warm moss green sounds very nice. Sometimes we are so lucky with our finds, aren't we! Incidentally, I am wearing the green dress again today, but with a black high-collar top underneath.

      Delete
  6. Colours are so personal and what we like can change as time goes on as you say. I used to wear browns and greens. Now I wear blues and complimenting hues. I loved that green dress when you bought it and I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Graham. I am wearing it today, but with a black high-collar top underneath and woolly black tights, not the sheer ones from the picture.
      I have so many different colours in my wardrobe; I just enjoy choosing the colour for the day according to my mood, the weather, and the occasion. But yellow was my favourite when I was little, and still is.

      Delete
  7. As I work in fashion I can tell you Meike that dark green is the colour of the season! So are the berry colours such as raspberry (my particular favourite) and darker mulberries.
    That being said as a dark haired person I think you can pretty much pull off any colour to wear (lucky you! strawberry blonde here). I love yellow but can't wear it as I'm so pale but have lots of it in my house to make up for it!
    I like your hair longer- I was going to ask if you were growing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this expert comment, Karen :-)
      You know, for a while I thought I want my hair much shorter again (like on my avatar picture). But at the moment, I actually like it that way. It is just very thin and not very abundant, which makes it look lifeless when it is too long.
      The green dress makes me look paler than I am, too, but I don't mind. It is winter, the time of the year when being pale is natural.

      Delete
  8. You look great, haircut or not haircut! :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete