Wednesday 2 October 2019

September Holiday - Sixth Day

Looks like most of you are sick and tired by now of my seemingly endless mountains-and-lake-pictures, and understandably so; I am going to post more such pictures today nonetheless, as my personal diary and to keep the photos I would otherwise delete at some stage.

Anyway, here is what Friday, the 13th of September was like.
It was the warmest day of our holiday so far, definitely warm enough to be out and about in shorts and t-shirt, even on the mountains and in the woods.


We had a specific mountain in mind we wanted to hike to, on "our" side of the lake again. As mentioned before, we did not have a very detailed map, only the free one from the hotel, but so far, sign posts had usually been very clear, and we were confident to find our way around. 
Well, we did - but at some stage we must have taken the wrong path, which meant a few extra kilometers of walking. Not unpleasantly so, as it was near the lake, but it lengthened our hike until we were on the right path again, and in the end it meant we were half an hour late for coffee and cake :-)












On the way home.
Our hotel is already in view.
Zoomed in on our hotel: The red ellipse marks our balcony, the quadrangle is the window where every morning I took the first picture from. The larger house to the right is the main building. Closer to the lake are the boathouse and the sauna.

There was still enough cake left for us to have a piece each, and coffee, but we had to pay for it; something we found slightly unnecessary. After all, it was not as if we had been day tourists sneaking in at the last minute, insisting on a free piece of cake - we were staying and paying guest for 7 nights (and not in the cheapest room, or being stingy about ordering drinks at dinner). But the waiter who brought us our coffees billed them, and we certainly didn't find it worth arguing about.

We had time for a very quick trip to the sauna, and then dinner.
It had been our last day at this hotel; tomorrow, we were going to leave here - not yet heading home, only to another hotel for two more nights.

Our original plan had been to stay at this place the entire time, but they didn't have a room available after the 14th, and so we split our time in Austria between two hotels.
I really liked this one, but was also looking forward to the other one, which O.K. knew from previous stays.

22 comments:

  1. Of course we're not tired of your mountains-and-lakes pictures. It's unlikely we'll ever be there ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same is true with most of the beautiful places I see on other blogs; there is so much to see on this planet, one would need more than one life (plus plenty of money and free time) for them.

      Delete
  2. I could never tire of seeing such gorgeous pictures or hearing about the adventures that you and O.K. have! Never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm not tired of your hiking and photos. Please don't stop posting. It is a pleasant vicarious trip for me each morning to visit with you. I'm always disappointed if I don't find a new post! It is a wonderful thing to be able to have my coffee with an interesting young woman in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young? I am 51, Jill :-)
      You are very kind, and I am sorry that you have probably often been disappointed, since I do not post as regularly as I would like to. You know you can check your dashboard here on blogger to see if there are new posts without having to visit a blog directly?

      Delete
    2. 51 is young to a lady of 85! And, thank you, I did not know I could check the dashboard (not sure what that is actually, but I'll find it). I'm a late-comer to the magic of computers and the Internet; utterly fascinating to me.

      Delete
    3. When you enter Blogger (after you log in), you should see your Reading List somewhere on the left side, all the blogs you follow. The newest posts are always shown at the top.

      Delete
  4. The shades of blue and green are beautiful, real picture post card views - so glad you've had some great weather to enjoy it all. That beer glass is almost as big as you!
    No, definitely not bored - as I mentioned on another earlier post, just so busy getting ready to leave tomorrow. A lot to do when one travels and leaves home for almost 3 weeks, and so far aways! We've been running in circles! Right now I could collapse in the lovely little chalet you show!
    Am packing now but reading all your posts whilst taking a break!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those colours were just incredible, they were even more brilliant in real life than what is caught on camera; the lake shone like a jewel!
      Nothing as refreshing as a shandy when you're hiking on a sunny day, and it does not contain enough alcohol to make the rest of the way dangerous ;-)
      Yes, packing for a three-week trip to faraway places with different climates is not the same as my almost weekly packing for my weekends away, where I always know exactly what I need and am done in 15 minutes.

      Delete
  5. I am not weary of seeing photos of beautiful places I will probably never be able to see again in person! Sorry for you losing your way, and then being charged for the coffee and cake. That seems like poor public relations, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Kristi; I love your summer house pictures, knowing full well I shall never see it in person.
      I didn't mind losing our way all that much, it just was an unplanned detour.
      We thought that maybe if the boss herself would have been there that afternoon, she would not have charged us, but the waiter was just doing his job by the rules.

      Delete
  6. More stunning lake views - I think my favourite here is photo No 6; but I also like that closeup of the cliff formation in photo No 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not decide which were my favourite photos, and so I simply put them all in the post, knowing full well that some look very similar.

      Delete
  7. Sounds lovely. I think it's memories of warm and happy days that help us through the cold and dark days of winter. We often get lost on walks but find more interest along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like browsing my photos every now and then and remind myself of great trips and places I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't get tired of such beautiful pictures - what a lovely place, and you certainly had the weather for it. I woudl share your irritation about having to pay for the cake. In fact, this kind of stinginess is very counter productive, I think. A hotel is supposed to make its guests feel welcome, and I've certainly never been comfortable in a place where the host looks anguished if guests have second helpings! It would actually be enough to put me off returning. But I am glad you seemed to have enjoyed it and I hope the next hotel was just as nice but more welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the only such incident, Jenny; we felt welcome and were treated as appreciated guests throughout our stay.
      Yes, the weather was perfect for hiking; dry and not too hot.

      Delete
  10. Well I shall add myself to the list of followers who will never get tired of seeing your photos of your walks. I just wish that I had been blogging (of course there were no such things) when I was a young man hiking all over the place. I took photos but the tens of thousands of negatives, prints and slides were never distilled into an album for each walk or holiday. It can actually be difficult when commenting on photographs like yours because it can be difficult to find anything original to say and we always seem to have a need for that. Just saying they are interesting or beautiful each time becomes repetitive.

    I must post my (very) young son holding a stein of beer at an Oktoberfest in Bavaria many years ago.

    It was silly charging you for the cake because you will remember that act of lack of thought perhaps instead of the good things about the hotel. I return time and time again to a family run garden centre which 'looks after' me thoughtfully and the The Woodlands café where they do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If comments such as "interesting" or "beautiful" are repetitive, then so are the many views of mountains and lakes - but both, it seems, we do not tire of. Yes, had there been blogs around already decades ago, I guess many people's memories could be much easier accessed.
      I've never been to the Oktoberfest, and it being as huge as it is now, I don't think I'll ever go; just don't feel comfortable around such masses of people, our Christmas Market is just about what I am willing to cope with.

      Delete
  11. This reminds me so much of the scenery from The Sound of Music...I have been in love with the landscape since I saw the movie trailer when I was 8 years old! I love it! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountains and green fields and pastures with small alpine flowers and woodland are beautiful! Yes, it looks like the scenery in The Sound od Music.

      Delete