Saturday 10 October 2020

September Holiday: Day 7

Monday, the 21st September was here, and the start of our second week off. We only had that day and the next left for hiking, as we were scheduled for going home on Wednesday.

The morning started with some leftover clouds from last night's rain:


After breakfast, we decided to do something similar to the day before, going "backwards" on a path we had already done. It was within easy reach of the hotel, no bus or car necessary, and we calculated that we'd be back at the hotel before the rain and thunderstorm forecast for the afternoon would begin.






Stillberg-Alpe; nobody there this time.





I was fascinated by how the tree's roots had grown around the rock.





Coming back down towards the village at the other end; the Old Yew is to the right.

It was still early enough to have time for both the spa and coffee and cake - we enjoyed both, and then retreated to our room to read and rest until dinner. Afterwards, we spent the rest of the evening reading again. Tomorrow was going to be our last day here - which means for you that you shall have to bear just one more post of mountains and trees!

15 comments:

  1. I have loved every single photograph you have shown us. Is that a fly agaric fungus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask the same thing as Weaver...is that fly agaric?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos have been a lovely respite for me. You do all the hard work (hiking) and I get to sit here over the Pond enjoying the view. Very atmospheric with the clouds and early fog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! You are welcome to enjoying the view - I shall gladly keep doing all the hiking for you! :-)

      Delete
  4. The landscape photographs in this post and recent posts have the power to transport us, and to re-enchant our engagement with the great world. I am reminded of the landscape photos of the late Fay Godwin, though she shot mostly in black and white. (There are some good YouTube documentaries on her.) Stillberg-Alpe, untenanted, is quite magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stillberg-Alpe looks like something from a different era, doesn't it. Well, it is; I suspect there are no modern commodities inside. The lady we spoke to told us that they usually only come up for the day. I guess if there was a proper bathroom/toilet/shower/kitchen, they would occasionally spend the night.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is from an earlier time. Or one still to come, when we love and protect the Earth.
      I am nearly through the Vintage paperback edition of *The Glass Bead Game*: Hesse set his story in the 23rd Century, but like Janus, looks backwards and forwards at the same time.
      I can see Joseph Knecht, the Magister Ludi, meditating in Stillberg-Alpe.
      You don't need to be religious to meditate. Sam Harris does it (YouTube) and he wrote a good book *The End of Faith* though I doubt he will die an atheist.

      Delete
  5. Enjoying the dramatic skies in these photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great ones there, I think! As usual, I could not decide on a select few favourites, and gave you the whole lot.

      Delete
  6. I have very much enjoyed your posts and photographs from this trip. I will never have the opportunity to travel the world but thanks to you I get to see many beautiful photos of your lovely country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Bonnie! Like you, that is something I appreciate so much about reading other blogs - I get to see places and learn about ways of life so different from my own.

      Delete
  7. I've said it all before but I'm still enjoying the walk on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete