Friday 13 September 2024

Read in 2024 - 19: A Clock Stopped Dead

A Clock Stopped Dead

by J.M. Hall

In the summer of 2022, I came across the first book in this delightful series about three retired primary school teachers in Yorkshire who solve crimes mainly by discussing them over coffee and cake at the Thirsk Garden Center café.

You can find my review of that book here and the second one here.

This year, I knew about the 3rd book through a newsletter I regularly receive from The Little Ripon Bookshop, where the author has been not only to read from his latest work but also supports the shop as a customer, if I remember the newsletter correctly.

Usually, such events happen well before or after my annual stay in Ripon, but one day I hope I'll be able to make it to one.

Anyway, back to the book:

Of course I bought "A Clock Stopped Dead" at the bookshop this summer, and finished it a week or so ago.

Meeting the three main characters Liz, Pat and Thelma again was nice, and I did enjoy the book. But maybe I enjoyed it a little less than the previous two stories. This time, there is a lot of sadness not only in the actual crime(s) but there are also worries in the homelife of each of the friends.

This time, one of their former colleagues has an unsettling experience, bordering on the paranormal, at a very strange charity shop that seems to have vanished into thin air. But then, this former colleague has always been a bit odd herself... on the other hand, there is a very real death that may or may not be related.

A lot happens in the book: There is a "ghost hunt" experience where everyone wants their money back, an amateur play group are working hard to put a successful play on stage, a house that could hold important clues is for sale, and much more.

On the home front, one of the husbands has a complete change of career, one of the grown-up children moves back in, and one of the ladies has a hard time accepting her upcoming 60th birthday.

It is hard to describe, but the overall feeling I got from the story was that of a bleak and cold place. For our three, things end as well as can be expected. And of course I am going to be the next one, too; I really like the set-up and can relate to a lot of what these ladies, not much older than myself, are going through (although I am still many years away from retirement).

If any of you have read this one, I'd like to learn what you thought of it, especially compared to the first too.

6 comments:

  1. I can't get this author's books as my library doesn't carry them. I've got a pile of Elly Griffiths books to read next. I enjoyed her Ruth Galloway series and will try her Magic Men Mystery series now. Have a good weekend, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, Ellen!
      Of the Ruth Galloway series, I have read one book many years ago and really liked it, but so far I have not made an effort to get more of the series. One of my blogging friends, "Dawntreader" from Sweden, has read them all I think - not sure whether you know her.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds a lot like the Richard Osman books. (I only read the first one of those -- but it also involved English retirees solving crimes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at my review of the first book, Steve; there, I make the comparison with Richard Osman's series.
      The only similarity is that the people solving the crimes are retirees.
      Unlike the Thursday Murder Club, in J.M. Hall's series the friends did not get to know each other only late in life when they happened to move to the same retirement village; instead, they were colleagues and have been friends for many years, are quite a bit younger (not yet 60, one of them at least) and still live with their husbands in their own houses. Also, none of them has had any education or relation with the police or a security service, and they do not have friends in the police force like the Thursday Murder Club do.
      Last but not least, Richard Osman's way of bringing his characters to life, his witty dialogue and very, very clever twists are unique!

      Delete
  3. Your review provides a thoughtful look at how the book explores the characters' lives and their changing circumstances. It’s always interesting to see how familiar characters evolve, especially when their personal and professional worlds collide.

    I’m curious to hear what others think of this installment compared to the earlier ones. If you or any of your readers have read it, their insights would be valuable for anyone considering picking up the book.

    I wish you a lovely weekend. You are invited to read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2022/10/how-to-break-out-of-nzu-addiction.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. Your sentence "If you or any of your readers have read it..." puzzles me, as I clearly state in my review that I have read the earlier ones, and even link to those reviews.
      Anyway, you too have a nice weekend!

      Delete