Wednesday 30 December 2020

A Moon Walk

These days, I have read on several blogs how we tend to lose track of time during this period between Christmas and New Year, how we don‘t know what day of the week it is and how a Monday feels like a Sunday and so on.

I agree - it is a very special time of year. The old year is not completely gone, and the new one has not yet arrived. Many who would normally know the week‘s days by their work or other activities are staying home, with no appointments, work-related or for socializing, to interrupt what is actually a rather short chain of days.

An entire morning can easily slip by, sleeping in and having that first mug of coffee in bed, munching on two or three leftover Christmas cookies, before we even get showered and dressed. Lunch is skipped after that late start, and the afternoon with still preciously few daylight hours spent walking, if possible. Sunset is still well before 5:00 pm here, and by 6:00, the night is as dark as it gets, making it feel closer to 10 than to 7. With no lunch, tea/dinner is wanted early, and after that, the evening sees us settling on our favourite comfy spots, our books and tablets within reach, maybe a glass of wine or some other drink, chosing what to watch on TV - nothing too demanding, please; just a bit of fun or light entertainment. Eventually, eyelids start to droop, and legs and backs want to stretch properly - bed calls, and sleep comes easily with the assurance of no alarm clock starting off the next morning.

After a week or so of that, I usually am well rested and feel very ready to tackle the new working year, pick up where I left off before Christmas, easing into the familiar routine of my weekdays.

We are not there yet, though, and yesterday‘s walk made for some beautiful pictures I want to share with you. All but one were taken by O.K., and I have his permission to use them.

Setting off relatively late in the afternoon, not long before sunset, the low sunrays lit up the slopes above Ortenberg beautifully - there are no yellow trees or vineyards or so, it was just the sun making it look like that:


Less than half an hour later, looking back the way we had come:



And later still, before reaching the third village on our walk, a still almost full moon made for a spectacular sky:





We were wrapped warmly, and the route was not demanding, just an easy up and down on gentle hills, 13 km altogether. Most of the paths were good, with the exception of one muddy stretch. As I am typing this, our shoes have been cleaned, ready for our next excursion; it is raining right now, so we may wait a bit.




23 comments:

  1. I am glad to see the full moon in your country. How have you been? Please stay safe. Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, crane, I have been good if a little exhausted from the very busy time at work I have had for all of this year. Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete
  2. Nice photo captures. Love the golden stripe of sun on the landscape. The bright full moon casts its own glow. Glad you were able to get out and stretch your legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That golden strip of sun was simply amazing, and gone within minutes of us having taken the pictures.

      I don‘t mind staying in when the weather is inclement, but after a maximum of two days without a walk I get stir-crazy.

      Delete
  3. You have painted a picture of Christmas holiday bliss. You've earned it. Enjoy the rest of the holiday period. I loved the orange glow in the first picture and the moon....what's not to be joyous about with a moon like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham, the rest really does me good.
      Yes, being able to walk and lookmat such beautiful, ever-changing skies makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. The sky is never the same, no wonder Turner painted it so often.
    You paint with your camera.
    Here in Scotland we have been gazing at the same full moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From how quickly the sky was changing, we could have taken pictures every few seconds. In fact, I have at least twice as many from that evening as the ones I am showing in my post, but have tried to limit myself to those I like best.
      It is a good thought, people who very likely will never meet in person but still seeing the same moon.

      Delete
  5. Tell OK that I appreciate those lovely photos he took and thanks to you for sharing them. How nice that you two share a love of hiking! You take such nice long, long, long walks and I certainly enjoy the beauty you share! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Ellen - thank YOU for coming along, reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Snow and slippery ice here at the moment makes walking difficult, but great sunsets yesterday and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no snow and ice here, but another beautiful sunset this afternoon when we were walking in the vineyards.

      Delete
  7. We had a couple of partly sunny days at Christmas, but then slipped back into grey and wet, and pretty much dark around the clock (seeing neither the sun nor the moon) Even though not working, I can still relate to losing track of time over the holidays. For one thing, most of the usual weekday TV programs/series are put on hold - including those I usually watch while having lunch, tea, supper... In these times of corona isolation, not really very helpful for people living alone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having an easy winter so far, but who knows what is in store over the next two or three months.
      What confuses me more in terms of weekdays is when we have a Bank Holiday mid-week; the day after tends to feel like Monday even if it is, say, a Thursday. When I went to school, sometimes I put the wrong books for the day in my bag, only remembering what day it really was when I reached school and my class mates would talk about the next lesson coming up.

      Delete
  8. Lovely sky shots. I understand about your decision not to read Shuggie Bain - it is brilliantly written but not an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.
      Glad you understand about the book.

      Delete
  9. You describe this special week so well! I think perhaps this week is the true gift of Christmas. The excitement and busy times behind us and a week to relax and simply "be".

    Your walk looks very special with the full variety of heavenly views. I love the pictures of the moonrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! That moonrise was so beautiful, we just stood and watched, not even feeling the cold until much later.
      You are right, this is a time to simply be.

      Delete
  10. The golden sunlight was breathtaking. What a lovely walk you had. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was that! Thank you for coming with us.

      Delete
  11. Such lovely photos and your description of a gentle Christmas holiday. Nature is a great solace, especially when there is some sunshine in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I try to catch sunshine or at least some daylight when I can, it makes such a difference to my wellbeing.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete