Saturday 21 August 2021

Read in 2021 - 6, 7, 8

During the six-week break from work and ever since, I have managed to read a lot more again, thanks to my eyes being much better suited to reading than before the operation(s). Especially the left eye made a huge difference, as it was the one that had developed cataracts. Of course, I could not read all that much at first, but no restrictions were imposed on normal reading as long as I wasn't straining my eyes too much, sticking to my medication plan and getting enough rest in between.

I will keep the single reviews short due to lack of time this morning and because there's three of them to squeeze into one post.

 

# 6: The Whitby Murders (A Yorkshire Murder Mystery)

by J.R. Ellis

Just like the first five books in the series, I greatly enjoyed this one. Of course, much of the series' appeal for me lies in the setting - I know many of the places described, and always like reading about Yorkshire, especially now that I have not been able to travel there for a couple of years.

But I am also really fond of the main characters, DCI Oldroyd and his team. By now, they are well fleshed-out figures, with their relationships and characteristics growing book by book.

In this one, a group of young people visit Whitby for a weekend. It is Goth Festival weekend, with folks dressed up as Dracula and many other characters all over the town. The friends have booked an escape room adventure together and are looking forward to a fun night out, when one of them is killed - they are all eye witnesses, and the case seems clear at first... but Oldroyd's daughter, who is part of the group, is like her father in that she does not take everything at face value.

Well written, cleverly constructed without being so overwhelming you can't remember who is who; also, not too much indulging in the gory details.


# 7: Mercy and Mayhem (A Mercy Mares Cozy Mystery)

by Ava Mallory

When I downloaded this free book to my kindle some time ago, I was sure I had read something from the author before; looks like I have not, as I can't find a review on my blog. Never mind!

Mercy Mares is a travelling nurse who loves her work. At her new assignment, where some of the staff are less than welcoming and the spouse of a patient dies within minutes of her arrival, makes her not only doubt herself, but she also finds herself at the centre of a murder enquiry with seemingly the entire town turning against her.

But this would of course not be part of a series if Mercy didn't manage to solve the case!

I did like the book well enough to keep reading on, but I must admit that some of it got on my nerves, with Mercy acting more confusedly and illogically than I thought was fitting for her character.


# 8 Death of a Dapper Snowman (Stormy Day Mystery Book #1)

by Angela Pepper

Stormy Day (that is her name) returns to her hometown after years of absence - always a grateful setting for an author, with old schoolfriends, former neighbours and other people providing the cast.

She is just settling in with opening her own shop and coming to terms with the new woman in her father's life when she discovers the body of an elderly neighbour hidden in a snowman.

Again, we find the heroine being the prime suspect (at least for a while) and doing everything she can to find the real murderer. What makes this one special is that Stormy is entrusted with the care of a cat, and that relationship is part of the book's charm.

16 comments:

  1. You already know I feel pretty much the same as you about the Yorkshire series :)
    The other two authors don't ring a bell with me; but I recognize that feeling of sometimes thinking I've read something by that author before - only to find that in fact I haven't. I blame it on some titles and authors appearing so frequently in special offer ads and emails that after a while they seem familiar even though one knows nothing else about them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Monica; after all, it is thanks to you that I came across them in the first place!
      As for thinking I've read something by a certain author, I believe there is one that has a very similar name and the stories are centred about a sleuthing woman as well, which makes it easy to mix things up (especially if your brain resembles a colander, like mine!).

      Delete
  2. I looked for J.R. Ellis at my local library but they don't have any of her books! Maybe I will try to request them as sometimes my library will buy the books that the patrons are looking for. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.R. Ellis is a man; you can find the link to his website and to where he commented here on my blog by clicking "here".
      Our local library, too, accepts suggestions from readers as to which books to offer.

      Delete
    2. I heard back from my library and they will order the whole series and let me know when they are here. My tax dollars at work! So glad!

      Delete
    3. That's good, Ellen! When you read them, please let me know how you liked the books.

      Delete
  3. I know Whitby well and must look out for the Ellis books. I shall try to read them in the right order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly best to read them in the right order, but my messing up at one point has not made the books any less enjoyable.
      My last visit to Whitby was with my late husband in 2006, I believe. I really want to go again.

      Delete
  4. Pleased to hear your eyes have improved and you can read again. There are many audiobooks about but I have never taken to them.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my retina operation in 2018, I did listen to a few audiobooks. But I have not really taken to them, either; I still prefer reading with my eyes if I can. And now that I can do that again, it is such a joy!

      Delete
  5. I don't know J R Ellis, must look up the books. Just so everyone knows Whitby does indeed have a Goth festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cathy! And so does the author, obviously :-)
      Another one of his books picks up on the Crime Writing festival in Harrogate which is also a real festival. That is one reason why I like the series so much, it mentions things and places about Yorkshire which I know, too.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your reviews! The Whitby Murders does sound interesting and The Death of a Dapper Snowman sounds like a good read. Of course you know I like books with cats! I'm so happy to hear your eyes are doing well especially since I know you enjoy reading. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat in the snowman book is a real asset to the story, I think!
      The Whitby Murders was a really good read; now I have read all the series so far and can't wait for the author to produce another one!

      Delete
  7. What kind of lighting is best for you when you are reading these days? I much prefer sitting outside in natural daylight. I don't like to think of Whitby being associated with murder. To me it is about jet, Hilda and Caedmon, Captain Cook, ammonites, whalers and fish and chips. It is a special town and I am proud that it is in Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I have visited Whitby, I have enjoyed the day. I love the harbour and the lighthouse, the steps up to the abbey and the church one passes along the way and of course the great views from up there.
      Also, I remember "Argument Yard" and a pub with flagstone floor and a huge old fireplace. Someone said it was used as a location for filming "David Copperfield".

      My best reading light is the lamp on my bedside table. Reading outdoors usually only happens when I am waiting at a train station, and the light there is usually partly blocked by a roof.

      Delete