Friday 27 August 2021

More Changes

This week brought more changes for me - not only the ongoing subtle but noticeable shift from summer to autumn, but also the return to my biggest client's office. Ever since March 17 in 2020, I have been working on-site maybe a handful of times; almost every working hour was happening here at my home (and that worked well). But it is good to have face-to-face meetings again for a change, and I can focus on my work for that particular client much better than when I am available for all my other clients at the same time, too.

We have been working for this client for more than 10 years now (with me joining the team a year and a half later). Almost from the start, we were given our own office space in their large building. Seeing that we are external consultants and not employees there, they have moved us around five or six times according to their needs at any given time. The most recent move happened this week, on my first day back! I spent part of the day making sure everything I need was where I need it, and I must say I like my new spot, opposite an employee whom I've known for many years. It won't be permanent (nothing ever is, is it?), but for now, I enjoy it. As we always knew we could be gone at the drop of a hat, we never made our assigned rooms really "ours", meaning that we never put up framed photos, plants and other personal items. 

Compare this new picture with what our previous room looked like here.

For now, the plan is to be on site two days a week; fine by me. Regulations are still in place, of course; every time one leaves the desk, an FFP2 mask has to be worn. Chairs and tables in the canteen are set up with plenty of space. Meeting rooms are strictly limited to a set number of people, and hallways and staircases are aired much more than they used to be. Fully vaccinated, I feel quite safe there.

I went for a nice long walk on Wednesday after work and took a few pictures. It felt good to be out on the fields; the low early evening light was more beautiful than what the photos can convey.

Can you see why I took that picture?

The balloon appeared much bigger in real life, and was visible for almost my entire walk.



Today I'll only be working until lunch time, then (if the weather allows) I will go for a walk with my sister (we have not seen each other at all this week!), then do my usual cleaning, pack my weekend suitcase and head to the train station.

The moon, as seen at 6:17 am on Tuesday from my bedroom

16 comments:

  1. Can't see a balloon anywhere but can see the moon in a lovely clear sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balloon is bang in the middle of the blue sky on the first two pictures of the fields. The photos should enlarge a bit when you click on them.

      Delete
  2. I could barely see the dot of the balloon and would never have noticed it if you hadn't said anything! I like seeing the moon in the early morning sky. And the photo of your office space looks so inviting!

    It's not quite 7am here, so I imagine it's close to lunchtime in Germany. Enjoy your time with O.K.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! We had a rather relaxing weekend, no long walks or hikes, because it was raining much of the time.
      The balloon was much bigger to the naked eye than what it looks like in the photos.

      Delete
  3. Plants in your new space are a nice touch. Makes the room look cozier. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my room mate's plants, also the framed golden circle on the wall. He and I are taking turns with our days at the office; he is not vaccined, but I am, and the rule at this client's building is to allow only two people working in the same room when they are both vaccined.

      Delete
  4. I'd have taken the balloon for a speck of dust if you hadn't mentioned it... ;) Hope it will work out well for you to be back working on site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appeared much bigger seen with the naked eye, Monica :-)
      The first two days back went well. This week, I will again be working there on Wednesday and Thursday.

      Delete
  5. Your new work site with that client looks very comfortable. It will give you a change of scenery to go there twice a week for now. I saw the balloon after I enlarged the picture. What kind of balloon was it as it did not look like a hot air balloon. Those are lovely pictures from your walk and I always enjoy seeing the views from your windows at home. Have a great weekend Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hot air balloon, Bonnie. We often see them here, but I have yet to be on one!
      Working at my client's office is good, as it allows me to fully focus on my tasks there, instead of being available all the time for all my other clients as well.

      Delete
  6. Your office is like a movie set, so tidy, so minimalist.
    There is an essay in New Scientist (August 14) Thinking Space.
    Our physical environment has a strong influence on our cognitive abilities.
    Now people are returning to work, they can re-imagine their office space.
    Our brains can't tune out the distractions in open-plan offices.
    Our brains are not computers, so we should improve our workspaces whenever possible.

    I like the moonrise from your home window, but let's not get too autumnal.
    After summer, Indian summer as Scott Fitzgerald said.
    W.H. Auden moved to Germany because it had the best climate he said.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to focus on my work when I am surrounded by clutter or, even worse, dirt and dust. Here at home, my work-from-home space is similarly uncluttered. On my desk are only the things I need.
      It is only the end of August, and I am seriously considering turning the heating on in my flat, at least early mornings in my bathroom. I hate a cold bathroom first thing in the morning. So much for getting autumnal!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you are happy with the changes. Good to still have an office with a view. Couldn't make out the balloon, but the walking conditions looked lovely. No autumn like conditions here yet--just more horrid heat and humidity (actual temp 35c; real feel 42c) and thunderstorms. 50mm of rain fell in a couple of hours last night with non-stop lightning. Very ready for some cool autumn breezes. Hope you have a good weekend at O.K.'s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, the changes have been good.
      If you click on the pictures, they enlarge somewhat and maybe then you can make out the balloon bang in the middle of the sky.
      16 Celsius and rain is what we are having here to say good-bye to August...
      The weekend was good, in spite of the weather keeping us mostly indoors.

      Delete
  8. Right. I've now caught up, very belatedly, with your new working arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making the effort, reading and commenting, Graham!

      Delete