Thursday 24 February 2022

A Windy Walk

For many of you, last weekend was very windy, if not stormy. Here, the storm caused many a fallen tree, upturned dustbins and other stuff being blown about with train services suspended or at least interrupted. As far as I know, there have been two deaths further north in this country, but nothing as dramatic as that in the area where I live.

I spent the weekend at O.K.'s, and we decided on our Sunday walk not in the Blackforest, but in the vineyards, where there was less danger of being hit by a falling tree or branch.
After the previous weekend walk being a winey one, this was a very windy one!

Snowdrops at O.K.'s parents' house

We parked the car in Ortenberg and walked to a place called Wolfsgrube and back; about 15 km altogether. The path as such is not really demanding, but with the strong wind blowing against us every time we came round a bend made it quite exhausting, and by the time we arrived back home late afternoon, we were quite worn out, more than we normally would be after what is a fairly regular circuit for us.


We have come past this fountain a few times in the past. Doesn't it look like something out of Harry Potter?

These rocks are also a familiar sight for us, but the atmosphere there is very different on a sunny day:


Still, we managed to find a bench with a view where the wind did not reach, and enjoyed a rest with the sandwiches and water we brought (no wine this time).

View from the bench

To the naked eye, the strip of light on the horizon was much more golden than what the camera captured:




Strange creatures like this one can be spotted in the vineyards.

The rain that threatened throughout the day did not materialise until much later, when we were safe and warm at home. 
During the night and in the early hours of the morning, the storm gathered strength and brought thunder and lightning as well as hail. It was very noisy and we hardly slept. In combination with the early start in order to catch my train home (which was about 20 minutes late), Monday made for one of those very rare days when I did not go out for a walk at all.

23 comments:

  1. You and O.K. are much more adventurous than I am. I have been getting my exercise at the gym because the weather has been so awful that I just could not face walking in the terrible wind. Where there are no trees the gales are unbearable and where there are trees it's too dangerous. I shall enjoy your walks vicariously and get my exercise mechanically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A windblown walk can be exhilarating, but when it gets too much, all I want for it is to stop. I was not yet at that point last Sunday, but getting close. And when on Tuesday I tried a walk around lunch time, lured out by spots of sun, I gave up and was back home after a mere 45 minutes.

      Delete
  2. Vicarious walks are the best of daydreams: I am in accord with Graham.

    Our Glasgow gales are nothing like those in Graham's Outer Hebrides, but there's been a lot of rain and wind this week.
    That wind, blowing in your face, can be tiresome as you found on Wolfsgrube.

    I liked the snowdrops and the second photo:
    Places where we have never been are like roads not taken.
    We enjoy stories which speak of other places, other people.

    Your ninth photo reminded me of Edward Thomas's *Roads* (Poetry Foundation).
    He was killed in 1917, at the battle of Aras.
    His widow Helen mourned him all her life and wrote a memoir of their life together.
    I knew a poet in the Cotswolds, P.J. Kavanagh, who wrote a poem in his memory:
    *Edward Thomas in Heaven*.
    Ironic because Edward Thomas had no faith except in this world.


    The hill road wet with rain
    In the sun would not gleam
    Like a winding stream
    If we trod it not again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we were walking there, the view I had at the place where I took the ninth photo reminded me of a painting, but I can not pinpoint it to a certain artist or even period.
      "The Ninth Photo" - doesn't sound like the titel of a novel?

      Delete
    2. I went to an exhibition of 1st World War poets at the Imperial War Museum some years ago, 'Anthem for Doomed Youth' and among many of the items on display that moved me greatly were pressed wild flowers that Edward Thomas had gathered in the fields and pressed to send home to his wife and daughter.

      Delete
  3. That strange creature is....strange. How odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stood there, taking a photo of the view, then looked down and there "it" was.

      Delete
  4. That wind! It is a scary thing with trees crashing down. You really are very fit. Wish I could walk the distances that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary along the coast and in areas high-up; gale forces at record speed were measured on the highest mountain tops of the Blackforest. We would never dream of going up there in weather like this.

      Delete
  5. Intrigued by the fountain and the goat-like creature. I've hardly been out at all this week, only a couple of very short walks to the nearest convenience shop. It's been either too icy or too rainy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been wondering about the fountain. The snake's teeth are really sharp and pointed - unusual to have something like that in a public place, where children (and other people) will be drawn to it.
      I have been on one short (45 mins) and two longer (2 hours) walks this week, but then we have had no ice and very little rain.

      Delete
  6. The twisted fountain is very interesting and it does look like something out of Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looked like a quite tough walk in the windy conditions. . . . atmospheric scenery though. Glad you had O.K. to cling to as you rounded those gusty bends!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that O.K. was with me, too!
      We like to observe how an area changes with different weather and with the seasons, and we must have walked this particular route in everything but snow.

      Delete
  8. I read "Weave's" blog and am wondering what she considers "a fit," which put her in hospital over night... I saw your comment, that you wonder too. If you find out, would you please pass it on to me?

    My email is on my Profile Page.

    Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, but Pat does not always answer questions in her comments. In the meantime, we are just relieved that she‘s back home and obviousl well enough to blog and to go for a walk.

      Delete
  9. There is a level of wind that is exhilarating but beyond that I find it very stressing. We have had only short walks lately, well wrapped up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there comes a point where you just want that wind to stop, and leave you alone. I have the feeling that I reach this point earlier the older I get.

      Delete