Thursday 10 February 2022

Signs of Spring

It was the most beautiful day yesterday - rather mild at about 12 Celsius, with a cloudless blue sky after a grey morning. The evening before, even on the local news on TV they advised to take advantage of it, if possible, as it was expected to be something of a one-off before a return to grey skies and colder temperatures.

Yes, proper spring is still at least a month away, but yesterday was a wonderful preview. And I am so glad I had the opportunity to finish work early! I was sitting down to work emails as early as 6:30 that morning and was able to leave the house at 3:45 pm, with almost two hours before sunset, and about 2 1/2 hours before it was going to be really dark.

I had already made up my mind as to where I wanted to walk: To the castle ruins above Hoheneck, along the top of the vineyards parallel to the river and then into Benningen, where I was going to take the local train home.

For the first twenty minutes or so, my route took me across part of the town before I reached the fields. I have often walked past of a very messy house in that part of town (which is otherwise very nice, with some handsome houses and obviously well-off folks living there). There is the wreck of an old car in the overgrown drive, and the general look of the place is one of neglect. But I knew that two cats live there; occasionally, I have talked to one of them. They look well fed and clean, much better cared for than everything else about the house. Yesterday, they were sunbathing on the window sill:


On I went, skirting the deer park and walking down between the fields, crossing a busy road and then between more fields and allotments towards the ruins. I first showed you this place in this post in 2015 with some information about it; yesterday's walk was in large parts a repeat of that one.




It was as beautiful as it looks; the sun warming my back and making me take off my scarf until I walked in shadier parts again. Many others had the same idea and where out and about, walking or cycling, but the path was never so busy as to make it bothersome to walk.






You can tell how steep the almost sheer drop towards the river is in these vineyards. Not easy to work them, and they really are too steep for machines; most of the work is still done manually here.

People were working in their vineyards or on their allotments; it is a busy time of year for gardeners and farmers and whoever has a plot of land to look after.

It was almost 6:00 pm when I reached Benningen's small train station, and I was home at around 6:30. 

On Tuesday, I had been for an after-work walk with my sister. We passed the garden center on the fields where we usually buy our advent wreaths and other things during the year, and they had a pile of cut off branches and twigs with catkins at the side of the path. It was all going to be shredded, and so I took a few of the twigs within easy reach and put them in a vase, adding a tiny bit of early spring to my home.

18 comments:

  1. I love catkins. I have a beautiful gnarled lichen covered branch at home, which was originally a "pruning." No catkins but the lichen and shape are beautiful. I gave a similar one to my daughter and she has hung it on the wall with small brightly coloured origami birds in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catkins really are pretty, aren't they. I would never take them off a living shrub or tree, because I know they are an important food source for insects. But since these were too beautiful for the rubbish heap, I took some - would have liked more but had no means of transport other than my hands.
      The gnarled branch sounds good, I can just imagine it coming to life with the origami birds.

      Delete
  2. I love that vase of catkins. Very simple and pretty. Our neighbor's magnificent old tulip magnolia is covered in pink buds at the moment, but it's still very cold. I'm anxious for spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer!
      It will probably be about two months before the beautiful magnolia trees in my street will be in bloom; maybe you remember that I have shown them on my blog.
      After that beautiful day yesterday, it seems unfair to return to cold and grey - there are occasional glimpses of sun here today, but it is nowhere near as lovely as yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I know it's a few weeks away, and there'll be unpleasant whether to come, but we've cracked it now. I said we would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always do, don't we! (Crack it, I mean.)
      And as for unpleasant weather, we get that all year round; last summer was not very summerly at all.

      Delete
  4. You picked a lovely time of day for that familiar walk - when the light was like golden syrup. And on a work day too! Quite splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was splendid, Neil! I love that kind of afternoon light. Your comparison with golden syrup is very fitting. I just wish I had seen more of the sunset; I was on the way home by then and could only watch it through the grimy train window.

      Delete
  5. As usual it looks such a lovely walk. Catkins are beautiful at this time of year aren't they - I have a couple of hazels near to my bungalow and I always try to prune a few of the lower branches to put on my kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, and I got to wear my normal walking shoes (New Balance trainers) for the first time this year instead of the heavier winter boots.
      The catkins say "spring!" to me every time I pass the vase in my flat now.

      Delete
  6. I so love these posts about your walks. Such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan! I love those walks and really need them as much for my mental as for my physical wellbeing. Posting about them makes me enjoy them twice!

      Delete
  7. So many of the blogs are mentioning Spring but we are still buried in snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where exactly you are, Ellen, but I don't think we have truly left winter behind us just yet. We can still have snow as late as April in my area, but it is never really enough to be buried in it :-)

      Delete
  8. Pussy willow catkins too. I love how soft they feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you brought home some pretty twigs and are giving them a longer life.
    Spring will soon be here hopefully and touches of green appearing - always so inspiring following the long brown shades and shadows of winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we can still have some awfully cold and wet times in spring, but nature is strong and brings out all its splendour even after a few hours of sun!

      Delete