Friday 25 March 2022

Birthday Things

It was my birthday on Tuesday, and I find it hard to believe that it will only be another six years before I'll be turning 60. 

The day was sunny and (after a cold morning) mild, perfect for the ride on the ferris wheel that I had planned with my parents and their good friend R, who lives on the ground floor in the same house.

I only worked until about lunch time and walked to the ferris wheel in the early afternoon. My Dad can hardly walk anymore these days, and even getting to the bus stop, climbing on the bus and getting back off would be too much. Good job then that friend R drove my parents there, and of course she was part of the party, too.

Once our tickets and vaccination certificates were checked, the four of us boarded our cabin. The ride takes 15 minutes and goes round three times, so if you have missed something you wanted to look at the first time, you have another two chances.

Taking pictures wasn't easy - the sun shone brightly, reflecting on the cabin's glass walls, and of course the structure of the wheel itself can not be avoided. Also, there being four of us, I did not move around much. But photos weren't what we had come for - we wanted the views, and views we got!


The pink bit is my Mum's coat. She loves pink! I took this picture to show you the structure of the wheel.

A glimpse of the palace and the palace grounds. We really saw it a lot better than that.




I enjoyed this very much, and will definitely go at least twice more before the wheel is dismantled in a couple of months: I want a nighttime ride and one with O.K., of course. One can even book meals, wine tastings and cocktail evenings aboard the wheel (the rides are longer than 15 minutes then, obviously), but I am not sure whether I'll do any of that.

Afterwards, friend R drove us back to my parents' place. We clinked glasses there and had coffee and snacks, and a table laden with presents and flowers was waiting for me:

My sister joined us once she'd finished work, and walked home with me later; one of her gifts were new flowers for my "mini garden" (you remember that from last year, don't you?), and she even planted them for me! I will show you pictures of it in another post.

And the evening? Well... that was a true highlight, too: For the first time in 2019, my team and I went to the Pub Quiz again!! It was quite exciting, and with Covid numbers breaking all records at the moment, I am still not sure it was a good idea... but everyone is checked for vaccination or test certificates at the entrance, and I simply hope nobody caught the virus because of that meeting.

It was so much fun, and felt so good (and normal!) to see my friends again! We came out 2nd; I lost us a point when I answered a question about the name of a French kitchen utensil used to keep dishes warm; my quess was rechaud, but the correct answer was baine marie. Oh well, 2nd place was still a very good comeback for our team!

Those flowers look beautiful at home!

The flowers on the left were sent to me from my sister-in-law in England.

Now the weekend is almost here, and I am looking forward to O.K. arriving here tonight. We have more birthday-related stuff planned. I'll keep you posted!

29 comments:

  1. Many Happy belated Birthday wishes Meike. I love the glimpses of Germany you bring to blogland on your walks, and your birthday treat was surely a 'bird's eye view' of your town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thelma!
      The ferris wheel won't be there after May, so it is a view of my town only possible now.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Meike. Thank you for sharing your photos from the Ferris wheel and all your lovely day things of the day. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! You are welcome - I just wish I could have better photos to show. Our local paper has a whole gallery of readers' pictures with views from the wheel; don't know how they managed without getting steel and glass reflections in the way.

      Delete
  3. The almost perfect way to spend your Birthday. I'm very happy for you that you got back to your pub quiz. I envy you your ability to 'think quiz' my brain always seizes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was almost perfect!
      When my mind is in quiz mode, I usually know the answer to a question instantly (and am then pretty certain of it) or I have not even the slightest idea.
      It is rare that I really think long and hard; of course, "long" isn't possible at the pub quiz anyway.

      Delete
  4. This is just terrific. Happy birthday, a bit belatedly, but I'm a fan of celebrating as long as possible! And we all need these celebrations of another year after the past two when there was so much loss. I hope all was well with the pub quiz aftermath. (I always thought baine marie was baking with water partially up the sides of the baking dish, inside a pan. I never thought about it for keeping warm.) It sounds like a perfect (and very fun) day -- celebrated the best way possible: with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie! I think a baine marie is a utensil designed to do just what you have described and not to keep dishes warm. Over the 12 years or so that I have been playing the pub quiz, our host has very rarely made a mistake. Maybe this was one of them.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! wishing you a year filled with lots of fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that I was way up there on the Ferris Wheel.

    Why dismantle a classy piece of German engineering, when it provides such fun?
    The town below looks so distinguished as York, Harrogate, Ripon, Bath, Winchester, Salisbury and Stirling and St Andrews still do.
    Redevelopment and concrete ruined so many of our cities and towns.

    Richard De Marco said you can see the whole of Europe from the Walter Scott Monument in Edinburgh: he meant the best ideas of the Enlightenment.

    Sixty is the new Fifty as the wags say.
    Joy is in the shining moment, eternity in those yellow roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wheel was never meant to be there permanently, it is a travelling attraction, which makes it all the more interesting.
      If you walk around Ludwigsburg, you see buildings that look quite out of place, too. Imguess every town has their less beautiful corners.

      Delete
  7. Yes, indeed a very happy belated birthday to you. I enjoy your posts so very much and hope you continue photographing your beautiful part of Germany and sharing with us. I've begun thinking of you as my beautiful daughter in faraway beautiful Germany since you are the age of my own beautiful daughter here in beautiful northern New Mexico USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to say that, dear Jill! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Sounds a super birthday - happy birthday to you and commiserations to your father for not being able to walk well - I can't walk without my waling aids but we soldier on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I wish my Dad was as determined as you. He simply refuses to use any kind of walking aid, even though it would increase his mobility a lot.

      Delete
    2. I have MS and walking well is difficult, sometimes more so than others (so thanks for sharing your walks in life!). Take a look at the byAcre walkers, ultralight and fold easily and quite tightly. I researched a lot and am so glad I discovered this brand. It's an "almost stylish" investment and very worth it; I sometimes feel a little less conspicuous believe it or not. I understnd your dad's aversion but have discovered that I am not only safer but I can walk faster with it. Kim in PA (USA)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. Hello Kim, Thank you for pointing out the byAcre walkers to me. It is less a question of "style" with my Dad than him being stubborn - if he does not want something, that's it, and any reasoning will fall on deaf ears and just make him angry when we try to bring it up again.
      I gladly share my walks with you; it is nice to know you can enjoy a bit of it through my blog!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Meike! It sounds like you had a wonderful day and I am so happy to hear that. How nice that you got to ride the wheel with you parents and then celebrate your birthday with them. I'm sure going to the Pub Quiz was especially nice since you have not been able to do that for so long. Your pictures are wonderful especially the ones from the wheel. Enjoy the weekend with O.K.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! Everything about my birthday was great, and now the weekend is here :-)

      Delete
  10. Wishing you many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect birthday and I am so glad that your father got to experience the big wheel and the views over his home city. Nice to see that Fred Fox is still keeping a watchful eye over your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first outing with my Dad in a long time; such things are getting harder and harder.
      Fred Fox greets me every morning as soon as I leave my bedroom!

      Delete
  12. When I read this post, I instantly said "You did NOT make a mistake with your rechaud answer! That is correct!!" Bain Marie is as described in the earlier comment, a pan filled with water which heats up around the baking pan.
    I only know these French terms from watching cooking shows! LOL!
    Happy belated birthday to you! March has marched on by for me, sorry I missed wishing you a happy day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay!
      And please don't worry about anything - I know how monstrously busy you are, and that you have a lot on your plate.
      xxx

      PS: I have already booked my team for another quiz night at the end of April; see how we fare then :-)

      Delete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday, Meike, from the UK.

    ReplyDelete