Tuesday 22 March 2022

Walking After Work

Maybe one or the other of you have experienced it as well, or heard or read about it: For much of last week, part of Europe was covered in dust coming up all the way from the Sahara desert. We have this phenomenon twice a year on average, and although car owners and many other people are quite annoyed at seeing an ochre layer of sandy dust on every surface, nature welcomes it - the silicate contained in the dust acts as a natural fertiliser, adding minerals to the ground.
Anyway, the dust made for a series of overcast days, and Wednesday was no exception. Still, it was mild enough and dry anyway, so that I thought of taking a longer walk after work.

An early start meant I was able to wrap up things at 4:00 pm already, and take a 10-minute train trip to Marbach.
From there, I walked the familiar route that is firmly imprinted in my mind as a favourite of my Mum and I. You have seen it on my blog several times in the past, too; this time, I only took very few pictures but enjoyed the walk nonetheless with a mixture of nostalgia and longing for those comparatively carefree times, and simply being glad that I am still able to walk there (almost) whenever I want.



Of course my parents' allotment has changed hands and therefore I did not enter the grounds of the gardening club - I have no business there anymore. But I did walk right up to the gate and had a quick look from the path.

Then, I chose a different route back, stopping briefly at the castle ruins above Steinheim before walking back to Marbach where I boarded the local train once more for the short trip to Ludwigsburg.



For such a mild and dry afternoon and evening, there were surprisingly few people out and about. I met one or two families with children, a few cyclists and dog walkers and two young women walking (not riding) horses.

My original plan had been to walk past the allotment and further on (to my beloved grassy path along the woods), but that would have meant at least another hour of walking, and I would have had to walk back in darkness - not advisable on the fields where there are no lights. As it was, I reached the station in Marbach just as the street lights started to come on.

It was an enjoyable 2 1/2 hours of walking, and definitely not the last time I did this. Next time, with daylight lasting longer, I want to take a snack and my water bottle and walk further.

20 comments:

  1. I didn't realise that you get the Saharan dust in your part of the world too. It 'decorated' the car and windows very well this year over here in Suffolk!
    Window cleaners will be kept busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of window cleaning... that was a good excuse for me NOT to clean mine while it lasted!

      Delete
  2. You wrote a whole blogpost on March 22nd and failed to mention that it's YOUR BIRTHDAY!

    Imagine balloons, party poppers, champagne and dancing as bloggers besiege your apartment. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEIKE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil! Those bloggers besieging my place will unfortunately have to party without me, as I am going to be out all afternoon and evening.
      Of course there will be a post about all my birthday-related activities.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday my friend! I thought of you as soon as I woke up this morning! I hope the card I sent made it on time. Have a fabulous day!! 🥳🎉🎂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer dear friend! Your card did indeed arrive perfectly on time - I found it in my mailbox today :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Wishing you a year filled with good health and happy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! So far, I can't complain :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, kiddo !
    You are only a Bairn as we say hereabouts.
    (In Glasgow they say Wean for child, but Bairn is more couthy.)

    We all enjoy reading about your short train trips to Marbach; the familiar walk from carefree times with your mother; and that grassy track through the woods like the Robert Frost poem.

    Following lockdown I see how shrunk-down my world has become (at least compared with yours) yet it also seems limitless in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John!

      They also say bairn in Yorkshire. The term has old nordic roots and speaks to me on a very deeply ingrained level; not sure whether I am making sense right now.

      My familiar world is nothing spectacular, but dear to me. It is home, or what I would call Heimat. And I am one of those fortunate people who have more than one place they can call home, with Ludwigsburg being my original and first home.

      Delete
  6. It is so good to be getting out and about again. You must have mixed feelings about your parent's old allotment. Happy Birthday, May you have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy!
      Yes, feelings are mixed. When I first walked that route on my own, knowing full well I was never going to walk it again with my Mum, I cried buckets at every corner.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, Meike! Time has been behaving oddly this turbulent month. I had the date noted in my calendar, and had intended to send you a card, but... @)->--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! Time is weird; I have been reading about it in my current non-fiction read and can only say nothing should surprise us when it comes to time :-)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Meike! I always remember your special day as it is two days after my son's birthday. I hope you are having a happy day and a lovely week! I enjoyed seeing this special walk again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! It was indeed a happy day, and so far the week is turning out lovely, too.

      Delete
  9. Wishing you many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think it must be quite strange for you when you go past the allotment. I have places where I would like to see the changes just out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the entire area (consisting of many allotments all belonging to the gardening club) is fenced in, I don't actually see "our" old allotment. But it is an odd mixture of nostalgia and curiosity that keeps drawing me back.

      Delete