Monday 5 September 2022

Autumn Food

Late summer / early autumn is high season for all things pumpkin where I live. Almost any restaurant or even beer garden you go, you see pumpkin soup, pumpkin salads, pumpkin risotto and many other dishes with pumpkin on the menue. 

Some weeks ago, I bought my first Hokkaido of this season; the Aldi supermarket where I do nearly all my food shopping (it is about 5 minutes on foot from my house) stocks an organically grown variety which I often buy this time of year.

The first time I have made Hokkaido pumpkin slices in the oven was in 2016; the recipe and pictures are here. Last night, I prepared it based on the original recipe but not exactly the same, more like a type of oven-baked casserole.

Instead of placing the slices on a tray, I diced the lot. The marinade was made as before, with lemon juice, honey and olive oil as well as a pinch of salt and quite a bit of freshly ground black pepper.


The pumpkin went into the oven for about 15 minutes on its own before I added the rest: diced feta, bacon and a handful or two of boiled chestnuts (maroni; they were bought ready-made).

After mixing well, I put it back in for another 10 or 15 minutes while laying the table and preparing the salad (baby spinach leaf and a vinaigrette with balsamico). 

A glass of white or rosé wine would have been perfect with it, but of course we did not drink any alcohol with our meal, since O.K. had to drive home that same evening. You never go wrong with a glass of fresh tap water, in my opinion. I put ciabatta bread on the table, too, but the pumpkin mix was rather filling on its own and the bread was not really necessary.

Now I have a butternut waiting in the kitchen, grown by O.K.'s Mum - I have never made anything with butternut, so will look through my cook books for inspiration for next time O.K. is here.

16 comments:

  1. I'd never even heard of butternut until about 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you eaten it since, or cooked with it?

      Delete
  2. You can cook the butternut pretty much the same way you did the pumpkin--by roasting it or by making a soup with it. Very tasty.

    Pumpkin flavoured 'everything' permeates the US food market, too. To great excess.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cook books show nothing with butternut, but I have found a risotto recipe that sounds and looks very nice (and not complicated). Roast butternut is certainly a good way to prepare it, and as far as I am aware, the main difference to Hokkaido is that you have to peel it, whereas you don't need to peel Hokkaido.

      Delete
  3. It is not something you see regularly on the shelves here - I don't think I have ever tasted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where "here" is, Anonymous, but our weekly farmer's market and even supermarkets have quite a range of pumpkin varieties on offer.

      Delete
  4. I've grown Butternut Squash for many years and mostly use them in a veggie curry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum and my sister have sent me links to recipes; I know I will make something savoury with it but have not yet decided on what. It'll probably be roasted or fried in a pan.

      Delete
  5. Mmm..your meal looks delicious. I've had butternut squash soup, it's a nice golden color and very savory and scrumptious! So maybe a soup recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely something savoury! A nice golden soup sounds lovely on a chilly autumn night.

      Delete
  6. I have made acorn squash and that is so delicious. My brother has some ripening in his garden right now and I hope to snag one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they similar to butternut? In my favourite computer game (The Sims 2), the Sims can cook various meals. One is largemouth bass with butternut squash.

      Delete
    2. (Sorry I forgot to enter my name with my first comment!)
      I think it is similar to butternut squash only rounder and dark green on the outside. I bake the halves in the oven with butter and brown sugar. Comes out soft and yummy to scoop and eat.

      Delete
    3. That sounds nice, too; I imagine a blob of vanilla ice on top... :-)

      Delete
  7. Looks great! Mmm, now I want chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete