Saturday 24 December 2022

Christmas Eve

As you know, this Christmas will be very different for my family, with two gaping holes never to be filled again - my Dad and our closest family friend who was like a brother to my sister and me, and like a son to my parents.

And yet, I am looking forward to it. My heart and mind are full of Christmas spirit - not the consumerism we all keep bemoaning, but what for me is the true core of Christmas. I won't go into this in detail on my blog, as I have long ago decided not to cover religion (as well as sex and politics) here. 

Last year, we were all still around, and my Dad even made his famous spuds salad. You can read about my Christmas 2021 here

In 2020, I had my first own Christmas tree, and wrote about it here. Last year, I did not feel like setting it up, but then regretted not having it. Therefore, this year, I made the effort again, and am glad I did!

On Tuesday after work, I went down into the basement and brought up the tree which is stored in two parts in large bin bags, as well as a box with the lights and another one with ornaments. It did not take me long to set it all up, and although it is a rather ugly tree (especially if you look closely), I believe it is the ugly Christmas trees that deserver to be loved the most.

Note the beautiful old stand - it is actually the most beautiful part of the slightly tattered tree and could be as old as the 1930s, certainly not younger than the 1950s. My Mum found it at a charity shop and made it a surprise gift for me.

The tree in all its "glory":

I have put all my parcels underneath; most of them are the gifts for my Mum and my sister, but there are a few early ones I have received from my neighbour and the lady I regularly go to for my back and shoulders. She also crocheted the beautiful snow flake ornaments on the tree, her gift last year.

In my post about Christmas 2021 I wrote: "Next year, I want to have more time before Christmas, not working right up to it, leaving me to press all household work etc. into Christmas Eve itself." Well, that did not quite work out, since once again I worked right up to it. Yesterday was a regular working day for me, but of course with many clients already being on holiday, it was quiet, and I managed to finish early so that I could do most of my cleaning in the afternoon and not leave it all for today.

I have a few things I want to do here before I leave for my Mum's before noon to help her with her Christmas preparations, mainly hoovering and whatever job she has in mind for me. 

At 1:00 pm, my sister will join us for lunch, which traditionally is a made-from-scratch chicken or vegetable broth with soup noodles in it. After that, we plan to walk to the cemetery and visit our Dad and friend R.

Then I will be home for a few hours in the afternoon, before Christmas Eve starts true and proper with our traditional meal of spuds salad and Wiener sausages. We will light the tree and exchange our gifts, and I do not doubt that there will be tears. But we are determined to celebrate still having each other, and treasure the fond memories of past Christmases.

On Christmas Day, my Mum is hosting a festive lunch for R's brother, his partner and us. Late afternoon will see me traveling to O.K.'s, where on Boxing Day I will go to the village church with him for their traditional family mass with the village band providing the music. After that, another festive meal awaits us at O.K.'s sister's. And just like last year, I will take the usual Monday morning train (only that it will be Tuesday) on the 27th back home. This time, though, not because O.K. has to work - he is on holiday until New Year, but I have not a single day off left and will be working that week, for the first time in many years.

Until then, here's wishing you all Merry Christmas! Treasure that precious time with your loved ones; you never know how long they will still be around.

14 comments:

  1. Your last line is so right. This will be my 5th Christmas since my husband died after 38 years together.
    But life goes on and Christmas still needs celebrating so I hope your Christmas is a good one with lots of happy memories.
    Thank you for your blog and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading and commenting, Sue, and of course for your kind words.
      Although there were only the three of us last night, we made it a beautiful Christmas Eve. More friends and family to see today and tomorrow, and then it's back to work anyway. As you say, life goes on.

      Delete
  2. I know you have lots of happy memories to share so I hope your Christmas will be Merry! I have family coming to celebrate so I know I am lucky that we can be together. Wishing you a Christmas filled with joy and peace, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. We shared many memories, and there was love and peace as it should be. Tears had been flowing freely in the afternoon when we visited the cemetery together.

      Delete
  3. Heiligabend is magical for children in Germany.
    Good to know there is a goose roasting in many an oven.

    A very different Christmas, your father not with you in person.
    My own parents still seem here. Like two brothers and many uncles & aunts.
    Only Uncle George the horse whisperer is still alive, age 102, living in Devon.
    We have a cloud of witnesses as the Book says and so many memories.

    'Flu is raging here so no church tonight.
    I have ghost stories by Theodore Storm, The Dykemaster, and Andrew Wilson's biography of Prince Albert, The Man Who Saved the Monarchy.

    Frohe Weihnachten, Meikie !
    Plain bedraggled little Xmas trees are the best as you say.
    Those are the ones I notice when I pass poor looking houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heiligabend still retains that magic for me, maybe not exactly the same as when I was little, but still there.
      The goose is roasting in my Mum's oven today, as our Heiligabend meal is Wiener sausages (we call them Saitenwürstle) and spuds salad.

      Our two men - my Dad and R - were sorely missed last night, but we had been to "visit" them at the cemetery in the afternoon and of course they are never far from our minds and hearts, as is Steve, now gone 13 years, and many others. The first Christmas without Oma and Opa was sad, and the first Christmas without Papa is now over.

      I know Theodor Storm's Deichmaster, and among my presents were books I am very much looking forward to read, among others Michelle Obama's second book.

      Frohe Weihnachten, Jack!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas dear Meike and also to your mum, sister, and O.K.! Gregg read this post with me and he agrees whole heartedly with your sentiment about cherishing loved ones while they're still with you.

    I got your lovely card yesterday. It may be my favorite so far this year!

    Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas dear Jennifer and Gregg, and your furry and feathered family members!
      Not sure whether you can spot your card in one of the photos, it has pride of place on the cabinet with the many others I received this year.
      Love & hugs to you, too!

      Delete
  5. A blessed and beautiful Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you and yours, messymimi! Thank you for another year of reading and commenting here.

      Delete
  6. Hope all went to plan so far, Meike, and I wish you a good Boxing Day at OK's too. Your Christmas tree looks fine to me, but your remark about it made me think about Charlie Brown... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiq_VvgEC1Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! My connections were on time, but then about 10 minutes before our scheduled arrival, the train stopped in the middle of nowhere… minutes ticking by, no information… finally an announcement that a faulty track switch had to be repaired and would delay us a little. In the end, I arrived half an hour late.
      I remember that Charlie Brown bit!

      Delete
  7. Happy Christmas Meike and thank you for your interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Rachel, and thank YOU for reading and commenting!

      Delete