Friday 28 April 2023

Safety Saturday, Sunny Sunday

Do you feel safe when using public transport? (I know many of my readers rarely or never do, so you may skip the first part of this post; it won't interest you.)

I am on one kind of train or other (local, regional or long-distance) almost every day, be it for work or my weekends at O.K.'s. Buses rarely feature, as I can easily cover the distances within my hometown on foot. But trains, and waiting at train stations of all sizes, at nearly all times of day or night, has been part of my life for "ever".

Personally, I have not experienced many situations when I felt unsafe. But I am cautious when, for instance, groups of drunk football fans gather on the platform, and keep out of their way as much as possible. 

Also, Ludwigsburg train station is very crowded at certain times, and its stairs and tunnels are way too narrow for the masses of people having to go through. At such times, I keep my handbag very tight to my body (and ALWAYS closed, of course). Also, I dislike the feeling of being swept down the stairs in a mass of people pouring out of a commuter train; I keep my shoulders square, my head high and my step firm.

These small things have served me well. I have never fallen on the steps or stumbled on the platform, and my handbag or other things have never been stolen while travelling; nobody has ever threatened me directly.

But I know that many people - especially women - feel so unsafe about using public transport that they rather not use it at all. 

Therefore, as part of my volunteer work, last Saturday (April 22) I had organised a talk with a police officer giving advice about safety and security. Maybe you remember that in my recent posts, I mentioned putting up posters and distributing leaflets - well, that was what it was about: Advertising the talk.

With everything we did to attract attention (social media, local newspapers, the posters and leaflets), attendance was still very small. Only about 12 people were there on Saturday morning - and half of us were family or "officals" from the town. 


Never mind, it still was an interesting talk, and the police officer gave some good advice. She focused not only on possibly threatening situations but also on how to get up and down the stairs and on and off the trains safely, using a one-way system on the stairs and standing aside to let people get off before getting on the train - all those things that should be self-understood but more often than not are not observed.

Sunday, the 23rd of April, was again sunny and warm - much better than forecast. We slept in (the only time that entire week - I so needed that!) and had a late leisurely breakfast. 

Leaving the house at 1:00 pm, we took a local train to the small town of Tamm, just two stops from Ludwigsburg. From there, we walked across the sunlit fields to the woods known as Rothenacker Wald.

I have said it before, but I never tire to say how beautiful the woods are this time of year, with the green leaves still small and tender enough to let plenty of sun through, and anemonae and other small flowers covering the ground. Birds sing, and the air smells of spring. 

The route I had picked for us is one I have walked a few times in the past with my sister (see here and here), and once my Mum came along, too. O.K. had never been there, and so I introduced him to the views from Enzblick (Enz being the river in the valley, "Blick" meaning "view"), Leudelsbach (the small beck running at the bottom at the valley before it joins the river Enz) and the steep path leading up from the river to Schellenhof, a popular stopping place with a beer garden and restaurant.





 










That day, it was packed, and we did not stop for a shandy as we would have done otherwise. Instead, we walked back into Tamm and waited for the next train to Ludwigsburg. After 14.5 km under our feet, arriving home felt good. We ordered pizza and I made a salad to go with it. Eventually, O.K. had to leave and face the long drive home - I did not envy him!


15 comments:

  1. We basically have no public transport to speak of here. There is a bus system that has established routes around the city but no one I know has ever really used it. Everything is spread out and everyone drives.

    Speaking of safety, have you ever read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker? It's an older book and a lot of it can be unsettling to read, but lots of valuable advice. Here's a blurb:

    "The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence is a nonfiction self-help book (Dell Publishing 1997, republished with new epilogue 1998) written by Gavin de Becker. The book demonstrates how every individual should learn to trust the inherent "gift" of their gut instinct. By learning to recognize various warning signs and precursors to violence, it becomes possible to avoid potential trauma and harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone like me who does not drive (never aspired to it, as it simply did not seem necessary and did not interest me) would be lost in your city, I suppose, unless the bus services get one from A to B in a reasonable amount of time.

      The Gift of Fear sounds like an interesting read. I agree that our gut instincts can be quite useful. I, too, have had situations where I have rather taken a detour than pass through a certain part of town where I felt there could be trouble, but generally, my hometown is a pretty safe place.

      Delete
  2. I found the safety on trains and in stations an interesting part of your post. I travel on the trains here two or three times a week and when I was working I travelled by train every day. I have also travelled extensively on trains in Europe. I observe my own rules for looking after myself and mostly I feel they are really common sense. If I am not in a hurry, as is usually the case these days as I am not working, I let crowds pass and crowded trains go and will wait for the next one and was even known to do this when travelling to work because I was always so early that I had time to make such adjustments for my own safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd see my post and find this interesting, Rachel, as I know of your frequent train journeys from your blog.
      Like you, I sometimes let an overcrowded train go without me, and I rather wait at the bottom of the stairs (well off to the side, of course) to let the tsunami of people wash past before I venture up to the platform.
      Only when I really, really needed/wanted to catch a certain connection, I have sometimes been running slalom (not easy with luggage) and, apart from once or twice, made it at the last second (not through my fault).

      Delete
  3. Glad you had such a nice Sunday for your hilly hike! I don't ride on a train often but I am always careful and courteous when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I know you from your comments, Ellen, I can never imagine you anything but courteous and friendly! You would not push past others or put your feet up on the seat in front of you while listening to loud music from your phone... I guess :-)

      Delete
  4. Now that you've mentioned it - drunk football fans- I will never ever forget the scare I felt on a train in England, many years ago. They were hooligans frightening the other passengers who tried to find refuge on some other parts of the train - without success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds scary! Trains here all have a speaker system that allows passengers to get in touch with the driver in an emergency. Of course, the driver can't (and won't) come through to single-handedly sort out a group of hooligans, but he can (and will) call the police and stop the train at the next possibility for the police to board.

      Delete
  5. Interesting what you had to say about public transport and safety. I think the reason that you have not had significant "issues" is that you always have your wits about you. You are alert. Some people seem to stroll around in their own little bubbles, not very conscious of what is going on around them. As I approach seventy, I wonder how confident I will be out on the streets or at transport hubs when I am even older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My earlier comment may have gone to "Spam".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had indeed gone to spam, Neil, but I check all comment folders anyway and so it was not lost.
      Yesterday and today were/are busy days for us with the May Fest in the village, and little computer time.
      You have summed up much of what the police officer said - it is very often more about our perceived sense of security/safety than about real dangers. Being alert and having your wits about you is always a good idea, also on my long and often lone walks.

      Delete
  7. That is such a good thing, to have a talk on safety in traveling on public transport. Even in a crowd one has to be extra careful! I love your walks so I'm glad you are always alert to your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in a crowd one has to be careful! It is very unlikely to meet anyone wanting to harm you out on the fields or in the woods - most people go there to walk their dogs or enjoy a walk themselves. Crowds, on the other hand, are paradise for pickpockets.

      Delete
  8. Good for you to organize a talk. What the low attendance says to me is that most people in Ludwigsburg feel safe on your public transport, like you do. It's good to live somewhere like that. Public transport is important - do you have good local buses too to serve more outlying areas? ? In Britain local bus services have become even worse, which makes me sad because it means almost everyone has the expense and pollution of at least one car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as you‘re outside the bigger towns and cities, public transport becomes thin on the ground. For instance, O.K.‘s village is less than 10 km from a town of 60,000 and has relatively good bus connections to that town. But to get to the small town where he works, 20 km from the village in another direction, would take him two hours on public transport, whereas it is usually less than half an hour by car.

      Delete