Saturday 6 May 2023

Breezing Through Last Week

Last week was very busy at work, as it usually is just before a break. Even though I was going to be away only for a fortnight, people at work seemed to think I was never going to be back, or only after several months. Anyway, I put my nose to the grindstone and wrapped up what needed doing before my absence.

In between, I managed two walks, an after-work-gathering with colleagues, attending a lingerie fashion show with my Mum and her friend (great fun, beautiful pieces but didn‘t buy anything), a lunch break with my sister and an evening at my Mum‘s.

There are not many pictures from during the week, but the first one was such a beautiful surprise. Coming round a bend on my way to Benningen on Monday early evening, just after leaving the outskirts of Ludwigsburg, this unexpected view awaited me:

Closer to Benningen and almost an hour later, the sky over the fields looked like this:

On Wednesday, I walked home after work from two train stops before mine, and enjoyed the evening light on the fields just before entering Ludwigsburg:

On Saturday morning, I did some last ironing, packed my suitcase for the next two weeks and intended to put towels and bedsheets through a wash, all in good time before I was due to take the first of three trains to O.K.

Well… my washing machine refused to start. I am sparing you the detail but let‘s just say that it worked without a hitch for decades. I inherited it in 2001 from my grandma, and it was not brand new then. It is probably safe to say that it is 30 years old and has served me very well.

But now the first thing I need to do when I arrive back home will be to buy a new machine plus arranging for delivery, setting up the new one and getting rid of the old one. 

In the meantime, I am enjoying my time off!

13 comments:

  1. The picture with the rainbow is amazing! Great capture!
    My washing machine is still functioning, but signals the approach of the end of service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DUTA. It was one of those moments where I was particularly glad to be alive.
      I hope you find a good replacement when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. Beware: newer washing machines never last as long as the ones made 30+ years ago!

    Enjoy your holiday! Take lots of pictures to share with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jennifer, and I truly hate having to make that change.
      Thank you - Day One yesterday was fantastic, and pictures will appear soon on this very blog 😊

      Delete
  3. Maybe when you come home the washing machine will be working again! Or maybe it is a circuit breaker/ fuse problem and it's not a problem with the machine at all. I hope it's an easy fix!
    Enjoy your break, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Ellen, but I guess I‘ll have to face the change to a new model.
      Our break has begun just as we love it - a long walk/hike after a good breakfast, then a quick turn in the spa before dinner.

      Delete
  4. Now that I've hopefully caught up with the last month (I love asparagus too but have never cooked it in white wine) I shall try not to fall behind again (visitors and more visitors is my principal excuse and I still have a friend from Canada staying). Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. I may have expressed myself not very clearly when I wrote about the risotto with green asparagus. The asparagus was just boiled regularly in water with some salt. The risotto‘s base was white wine, then I added cream, water, and finally another bit of wine.

      Delete
    2. My apologies. I read it too quickly. I, too, love and make risotto.

      Delete
  5. Wish you a good holiday - and good luck with the procedures of getting a new washing machine when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! You have had more than your fair change of tech changes recently, but it all seems to have worked out well.

      Delete
  6. A new washing machine will be energy efficient and will set you up for 10 years or so. I would welcome this opportunity presented to up-date. Enjoy your vacation Meike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! You are absolutely right about the energy efficiency. Next will be my fridge, I think. And since we all know such things usually happen in threes, I wonder whether my oven should be replaced, too. It is at least 22 years old and bakes/cooks rather unevenly.

      Delete