Sunday 21 May 2023

Read in 2023 - 11: Still Time to Wonder

Still Time to Wonder

by Joe Cornish

Although considered a "coffee table book", i.e. one that is more about the pictures than reading material, "Still Time to Wonder" offers not just VERY good photos to look at, but also interesting, thought provoking and informative words to go with it.

Last year, visiting Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal, my sister and I came across an exhibition of stunning photographs, mounted on unusual wooden frames in the former mill. In this post I mentioned the exhibition only fleetingly in one sentence, but it really left us deeply impressed.

In 2019, Northallerton-based photographer Joe Cornish started on a project for the National Trust in the grounds of Fountains and Studley. Then the pandemic came along, but instead of stopping the project, lockdown periods added a new dimension to it, making images possible that would otherwise never have come about, at various times of day (and night), in all sorts of weather and throughout the seasons, without any visitors around.

I remember that I felt as if I could just walk into some of the pictures when I stood in front of them in Fountains Mill. My sister and I have loved the large old trees in the deer park and elsewhere on the estate from the first time we came here many years ago, and it is really no exaggeration when I keep naming Fountains as one of my favourite places on this whole planet (not that I have seen all that many).

Imagine my surprise when, just before I left for my May break, my sister said she had something for me - "just so", for no particular reason. On the Friday before I left for O.K.'s (and my May Break started), my sister and I spent our lunch break together in my kitchen, and she handed me her present: This wonderful book!

My sister had managed to get hold of a signed copy, and not just signed - Joe Cornish also drew a smiling camera next to his name! I did not look at it there and then, saving it for a day when I would really have time to enjoy it properly. 

That day came this week, when I have been housebound with Covid and felt a little sorry for myself. I made myself a mug of Yorkshire tea, using my Fountains Abbey mug, and settled in my yellow armchair, covering myself with my National Trust blanket - can't get a more fitting scenario than that without actually being there, can you :-)

As I said, the photographs are stunning, wonderful, great, thought-provoking - and have made me want to walk there right away, especially in Seven Bridges Valley, a part of the park I have not been to properly in years.

The words by the author himself as well as by other contributors to the book explain not only how the project came about, what its challenges were, but also how photography at Fountains has developed historically, the context of man-made and natural landscape and architecture, light, weather... it's all in there, and well worth reading.

It took me through an entire afternoon, and I am sure this was not the last time I have opened this fantastic book.

Thank you, sister!

I recommend visiting Joe Cornish's website, and especially look at the pictures under "Homeland", there under "North York Moors", "North East Coast" and "Dales" - they will fill anyone who has ever been to Yorkshire with a deep longing for the place. More info about him can be found on wikipedia, and on his gallery's website, you can find the book here.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! A perfect gift to help you get through Covid! Thanks for sharing his website, Meike. I have bookmarked the link so I can visit it again and again. Such beautiful photographs of a lovely country!
    Hope you are feeling better each day and getting plenty of rest, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister couldn't know that I was going to come back from my holiday and catch Covid the same evening, but her gift certainly was perfectly timed!
      I am feeling better, thank you, Ellen. Tomorrow, instead of going to work at my client's in Marbach, I am only going to work from home (still testing positive anyway).

      Delete
  2. Fay Godwin (YouTube) was the Joe Cornish of my day.
    Landscape photographer and very gracious lady.
    Her photos were black & white, rather lonely places.
    Fay did books with Ted Hughes, John Fowles, Alan Sillitoe..

    As for that deep longing for a place ...
    eine tiefe Sehnsucht nach einem Ort ...

    Songs can have that quality of longing.
    *Blau Nacht am Hafen. Lale Andersen.* YouTube.
    Lale recorded Lili Marlene before Dietrich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lale Andersen's version of Lili Marlen best, heard it as a child from one of the old shellack records we had inherited from grandparents (I believe), and it is always her voice I hear in my head in connection with that song, never Dietrich's.
      You are no stranger to feeling a tiefe Sehnsucht nach einem Ort.

      Delete
    2. Songs of WWII.
      Lili Marlen (Wiki). La vie en rose: Piaf.
      We'll Meet Again; It's A Lovely Day Tomorrow: Vera Lynn.

      When I walk past the tree opposite the Aldwych Theatre, London, I think I walked
      this way in the 1930s and poems by Auden & MacNeice and songs come to mind.
      Midnight, the Stars and You. Al Bowlly.
      September in the Rain, Blame It On My Youth, Night & Day which Joan Chamorro's girl singers in Barcelona do wonderfully on YouTube.

      One Sunday night in summer the year before the pandemic I heard a street musician play In A Sentimental Mood which is Sarah Vaughan's song.
      You and the Night and the Music belongs to Ella Fitzgerald.
      Sinatra has the best recording of London By Night.

      Robert Goulet sings That's All I Ask on the Ed Sullivan Show (YouTube).
      Sinatra said Goulet had the best vocal chords of any crooner.
      Billie Holiday's All Of Me is just too sad.
      Likewise Parlez moi d'amour by Lucienne Boyer.
      Reminds me of the death mask of the unknown girl who drowned herself in the Seine.

      Delete
    3. Correction.
      Robert Goulet - This Is All I Ask on the Ed Sullivan Show.

      My late Uncle Jack who introduced me to Fritz Wunderlich and classical singing,
      said Goulet was one of the few crooners he admired.
      Jack had a wonderful bel canto tenor and sang Puccini in Italian.

      R.G. If I Loved You, Carousel.
      R.G. Playboy After Dark, Here's That Rainy Day.
      Robert Goulet & Paige O'Hara - You Don't Bring Me Flowers/ I Wont Send Roses.

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful gift and I like the signature, very artistic like the photographer. That sounds like a place to visit again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Terra! My sister and I are already looking forward to visiting Fountains Abbey again this summer.

      Delete