Monday 15 May 2023

May Break: Sunday

Sunday (May 7) was equally beautiful and warm, but ended with thunder, lightning and rain. By that time, we were long back at the hotel and only had to cross the road after dinner to get to our flat in another building.

For the day, we chose the second-longest of the suggested walks, the "Benistobel-Tour". Before you start on the jokes, it has nothing to do with the male genital. Tobel means a narrow valley, and the area has plenty of those. On a quick internet search, I could not find information about the origin of the name Benis; as is often the case, it might just be the name of a family or person who owned that particularly piece of land at some stage, or lived and worked there.

Today, Benistobel consists of a handful of houses, a working farm offering holiday accomodation and walking tours with alpacas.

But although the tour is named after the rather unassuming place, it is the path itself that you want: Gently meandering between fields and meadows (in bloom, as you know), woodland and hamlets, it offers a few steep-ish hills, the odd muddy bit in the woods, but much of it is walking on narrow field lanes that are well kept. The tour is very well signposted and is only around 9 km long.

Along the way, we met cows, horses and alpacas, but very few people. High above, red kites were having a great time circling and letting out their long, unmistakable whistling call. 



Mother and child

Friendly and interested



Brunette and Blonde

Typical farmhouse and barn for this area


You can rent these guys for a walk.

Beautiful Benistobel

Old barn in Benistobel


Lookout with an unusual annex

Coming back towards Limpach

St. Georg in Limpach, vicarage (next to church) and former baking house (small building)

Inside the church

Things were being prepard for the Georgsritt (St. George's Ride), a traditional event in the area.

(Almost) all of the church - I couldn't get a better picture.

I enjoyed every step of the walk - and the coffee and cake on the sunlit hotel terrace afterwards.

Later, we had the spa area largely to ourselves (most of the other hotel guests were participating in a seminar) and then another very good meal before going back to our flat.

The church was built some time around 1275 (it was mentioned in chronicles then, so it must have existed a little before that), and the community claimed to possess two relics of St. George. 
We were too early for the annual St. George's Ride (it is always on the 2nd Sunday in May), but you can see pictures of it here, if you like. It certainly looks like a beautiful event, and from the description on the website, it is very important to the community of Limpach.

10 comments:

  1. You can rent them for a walk?? That sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something that has become quite popular in Germany over the last 10-15 years. Even close to the town where I live, you can go for (guided!) walks with an alpaca. A friend of mine got an alpaca walk as a birthday gift a few years ago and says she loved every minute of it.

      Delete
  2. The lookout looks very rickety! I would be afraid to go up there!
    Another lovely walk! A successful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, it looks sturdier than many others we've seen! I would not hesitate to go up if invited. In fact, some of the supporting poles are brand new. And I have truly never seen one with a birdhouse attached - my Dad would have loved that!

      Delete
  3. A lovely thought entered my head as I walked with you in this area and that is, this would be a nice place to retire! Have you, in all your many walks, found "the" place you might like to retire when the time comes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I have not put much thought into my retirement (which is around 12 years away, depending on how and if the government changes the age threshold in the coming years). But as beautiful as the area is, it would definitely not my choice to live there - without a car, one is completely lost. The hamlet does not even have a bakery, let alone a groceries shop or other facilities such as doctors, a library and so on.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, then this will never do. My American daughter (I think of you as my German daughter!) is approaching retirement age so that is on my mind. You are indeed too young to be concerned!

      Delete
    3. How sweet of you to say that, Jill - thank you, I feel honoured!

      Delete
  4. I was thinking about Jill's comment on retirement and I suddenly started thinking about what one might need in retirement. Duh!! I've been 'retired' nearly 20 years. Oddly it struck me that I couldn't live in that hamlet because there is no view of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sea view is priceless, Graham. When, like me, you have never lived near enough it to see the sea from your house, you don't think of that when considering a place for retirement (where to live at any time in your life). My considerations were always of a practical nature, a combination of budget and having school/work, shops etc. within walking distance, as well as not being too far from my family.

      Delete