Friday 26 May 2023

Covid Week

My last diary-style post ended with Sunday, May 14. Let me now pick up where I left off, and cover the week that began on the 15th of May.

That Monday (May 15) was my first day back at work after the break. I worked from home, as I do on most Mondays, allowing myself to ease back into things in a relatively relaxed manner.

My Mum needed something from the pharmacy, and so I went to get that and took it to her. Just like the day before, we neither hugged or came any closer  than 2 m, and of course we wore masks. I left as soon as I was sure she had everything she needed.

I felt decidedly unwell on Tuesday, the 16th of May, but my Covid test still resulted negative. A headache was making it hard to focus on work; I admit I took 3 Paracetamol in the course of the day. 

After work, I thought a walk would help with the headache, and at first, it really felt good to be out. But it didn't take long until I was exhausted enough to turn round, and was glad to reach my flat again, spending the evening on my own - while my pub quiz team went ahead without me. It was our last time before the quiz broke up for the summer, and I had really been looking forward to it, but the way I was feeling by then, it just wasn't feasible.

My team did me proud! Along with one other team, they had the highest number of points. They did not guess the right answer to the tie break question, and so The Corner Shop ended the quiz season on a very good 2nd place.

For the first time ever since the pandemic began, I tested positive on Wednesday morning (May 17). Of course it wasn't a surprise, but it felt weird nonetheless. Here I was, thinking I might get away with not catching the virus at all; during the past three years, I tested so often and had "red" warnings on the Corona Warning App on my phone (it notified you when your phone had been in close proximity to the phone of someone who had tested positive and stored the result in the app), almost every time after a long train journey - but never caught it. (Of course, wearing FFP2 masks on public transport had been compulsory for many months.)

That it would be my Mum of all people who'd pass the virus to me was not a scenario I had expected. But now I was feeling somewhat sorry for myself, working (with many breaks in between), worrying about my Mum, my sister and O.K. After all, the four of us had been sitting at the same table on Friday night. Funnily enough, I was the only one to catch it.

Anyway, I was glad to know my Mum's friend was back from a brief trip. This friend is a retired nurse who lives downstairs in the same house as my Mum, and her practical help has been truly precious over the past years when my Dad's health deteriorated. Now she was making chicken soup for my Mum, and offered to bring me some, too. How sweet was that! She even brought a handful of fresh strawberries, the first (and so far only) ones I've had this season.

My headache was much better, no need for tablets, but the sore throat and cough were getting more pronounced.

Thursday, the 18th of May, was similar. I worked, although not to full capacity, and did not set foot outside my flat, in spite of it being a beautiful sunny day.

Somehow I felt worse on Friday (May 19); I'd had a bad night, which makes me feel like a zombie even when I am well otherwise, and now I clearly was not. I worked only for about 5 hours, but it left me totally drained, and I slept for about 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon. That made me feel a little better, but I still took 2 Paracetamol that day.

Another sunny day was here on Saturday (May 20), but I didn't really care; I was not well enough to go out, only doing the most basic houework, resting in between tasks. 

Sunday, the 21st of May, was a proper early summer's day here, but once more I did not leave my flat. I kept the windows open, though, and after the morning's headache subsided, I could feel the other symptoms retreating somewhat, too, with just the cough remaining.

O.K. went for a walk near his village and sent me these photos. Knowing the place so well, it almost felt as if I was there, too.












During my self-isolation, O.K. and I talked on the phone at least twice every day, and I was relieved to know he was fine.

It was a strange week, with a lot of reading (when my head would allow) after work, and some easy TV. My personal highlights were certainly the soup, and the afternoon I spent reading "Still Time to Wonder". Also, I was very glad to have daily updates from my Mum, who was getting better (and tested negative about 3 days ahead of me).

I know it was unwise to work, but I did not want to get behind on my tasks after I'd already been away for two weeks. It helped that it was a quiet week with very few calls or meetings, and of course it was only possible because I was working from home.

23 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are on a healing home stretch thank goodness and able to do some work from home. The photos show a beautiful area to walk in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, O.K.‘s area is beautiful no matter the time of year, but right now it is particularly gorgeous. I am much better, at maybe 80 % of my normal level of health.

      Delete
  2. A relief that you and your mom are both so much better. Can I go a all mom-like on you and caution against doing too much too soon? Can't resist.

    Cheers,

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceci! I promise I am not overdoing it; although I have been for a walk this past Wednesday after work, it was neither very long nor very strenuous.

      Delete
  3. So very sorry you've had to contend with COVID after such a long time and glad you are now on the road to recovery dear Meike. Also happy knowing your Mum is better.

    We are back from California, somewhat nervous after being with so many people in airports, on planes, and then at the memorial service we attended (main reason for the trip) where over 500 people showed up to pay respects at the venue - not a mask in sight! Yesterday we went for vaccine #6 which is now available for over 65's - arm a little hot today but should be OK.

    Lovely photos of O.K.'s countryside - hope he stays well and you two can get together soon.
    Hugs - Mary (and Bob) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary.
      Yes, we are spending this weekend together, and have been fine.
      Vaccine #6? I have not heard about that here yet.
      I hope your sore arm is better today.
      Hugs, Meike X

      Delete
  4. Sorry you got sick and glad to hear you are getting better each day. Thank goodness you could work for home a bit so you didn't get too far behind. Hope you are resting, relaxing and recovering smoothly, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I managed to catch up with my tasks quite well, and will continue next week. Apart from a lingering cough, I am fine.

      Delete
  5. Oh! I am glad that you are your Mum are both better but I hate you both got that dang Covid! It does my heart good to see those red poppies blooming, I hope it does the same for you. (And like me, even if you only see them in a photo.) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those poppies are gorgeous, aren‘t they!
      We are well again, and thankfully, for us Covid was no worse than a big fat cold. I am not keen on a repeat, though!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the COVID club! It's good that both you and your mother are through it now. It was kind of OK to send you those pictures - a song of early summer. And how thoughtful of your mother's neighbour to bring you the soup and the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experienced nothing but kindness and understanding from everyone who knew of me being ill, including my colleagues and my boss who kept telling me to take it easy. Still, I was not keen on joining the COVID club!

      Delete
  7. Sorry both you and your mum caught covid, but glad you're feeling better now. I may have had a touch of it last September but not sure as I did not get tested. (It was mainly fever and muscle-ache and feeling generally unwell for me for a few days, but I didn't really develop any typical cold/chest symptoms.) For 65+ we're recommended a 6th dose of vaccine here as well, but I think it will be after the summer for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had four jabs and not even heard of a 5th, let alone a 6th!
      As soon as I learnt of my Mum‘s infection, I self-tested, but it took another few days before my own test resulted positive. I always have a small stack of self-test kits at home, usually between 3 and 5. Maybe you‘ve had it, but maybe not - as we all know, other illnesses are still around, too.

      Delete
    2. I had one self-test at home at the time but thought it better to save that for if I did get worse (in which case it might have been more important to know). As things developed I never felt the need to use it - I just stayed home...

      Delete
  8. Your experience of Covid sounds very similar to my first bout last year. I could have worked from home for a few hours a day if I had been working but felt quite feverish and hot on some days. I later had a much worse virus this year which did not show up as Covid when I tested but could have been a new variant not captured by my tester kit. I even attended the doctor's surgery because I felt so ill and was asked by the surgery to go down and see them (I would not have attended unless requested). I was told it was a respiratory virus unknown but my body's immune system was fighting it. I still believe it was a Covid variant because the sore throat was so bad along with fever and loss of taste but the doctor said that really they had no way of identifying it. I am vaccinated three times but have not had any further boosters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a Covid variant; my sister-in-law similarly had Covid "officially" (meaning it showed up on tests) and not long afterwards came down with another virus infection which left her extremely exhausted and with similar symptoms. Her doctor did all sorts of tests (blood tests, too) and confirmed that the second bout was indeed Covid. My sister-in-law was told that Corona viruses can change every six to eight weeks, so depending on one's constitution and immune system's response (helped - but not fully immune - by vaccinations), a person could catch it again and again, and that seems to be happening right now. I hear of so many people being ill with respiratory symptoms, not necessarily showing up on tests. And many have given up testing altogether, as it is not compulsory any more to provide a negative test result for attending events, visiting restaurants or going to work.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad that you are feeling better but am going to add a note of caution as others have done. Don't be too hasty in assuming you are in full recovery as I think that Covid leaves you vulnerable to other infections. My Covid experience followed that pattern, something no worse than a slight cold followed by a strange bug that left me utterly exhausted for weeks. Hope this will not be the case for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I shall try and not overdo things. As you say, others have been giving me similar advice, too, and my sister-in-law experienced exactly what you did. I hope you are better now, and your immune system is up for any challenges that might come its way!

      Delete
  10. Yikes! Oh, just YIKES! I haven't even thought of covid in quite a while. At the worst of it, here, my son had it twice, my daughter in law and their two girls had it too. The youngest was 9 weeks old and they had RSV infections as well. Pretty scary. My grandson here got it, and then my daughter and her S.O. got it. They were sick enough that caring for William was a struggle. He was technically on quarantine for another day, but we took him. We were so sure we'd get it...but we didn't. I still can hardly believe that we did not catch it. Although reading your post, I probably should not have said that out loud. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby, I am almost back to normal; 90 % I'd say.
      It is amazing how sometimes the virus spreads and sometimes people who are in close contact to an infected person don't catch it. O.K. had it last year in the summer, while I was in England, and again earlier this year. It is still pretty much making the rounds here, helped along by all regulations having been dropped, for instance it is not mandatory anymore to self-isolate when you know you have it. But I would never have gone to the office - in fact today, a week since I first tested negative again, is going to be my first day back at the office. I am so glad I was able to work from home!

      Delete
  11. Chicken soup, the Jewish penicillin, is the thing to take.
    We are all sorry to hear you caught the virus.
    Ninety per cent better is a good place to be just now.
    OK's photos are the essence of summer, reminding me of Gloucestershire.
    I am in Cheltenham right now after having spent a few days in London.
    It is my first time out of Glasgow since the pandemic began.
    I met an old friend outside the Wyndham Theatre in the West End.
    Strange being among so many people again ! London induces a beer thirst !
    You are on the road to recovery, Meike.
    Jack Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jack,
      You did not leave your hometown for three years? I hope you are enjoying your trip that is taking you to such different places.
      By now, I am fairly used to being among many people again, but it's not that long ago that I felt quite overwhelmed by the masses at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, rushing in all directions, trying to catch trains, meet up with someone or find out where they needed to go. It still is my least favourite part of those Friday evenings when I am to spend the weekend at O.K.'s.
      I didn't mean I am 90 % better, but at 90 % of my usual level of health - still about 10 % missing. The cough is still there, and this morning, I woke up VERY tired and with a slight headache after what had been a good and very productive day at the office, the first one since my return from Limpach.
      Maybe this afternoon I shall have a little nap; 20 minutes to half an hour should be enough to restore energy and get me through the rest of the day.

      Delete