Saturday 21 November 2015

A Special Event

Do you like the Bond movies? Or going to the cinema in general? To be honest, I am not keen on either - and yet I found myself attending the première of "Spectre" on the 5th of November.

In the late 1980s, some of my former school mates hosted a "Bond Night", watching all Bond films that had been released by then in one very, very long session (48 hours for 17 movies). Out of the 40 people originally in attendance, 7 remained until the end. They were so "into" the entire 007-world that they started to make their own film a few years later, with the very basic means at their disposition. 

Since then, there have been three of their home-made 007-movies, starring my former school mates as Bond, the Bad Guy (named Kaftan) and his two side-kicks (the "Twin Towers"), their wives and girlfriends as Bond girls and using locations in and around Ludwigsburg for the filming. The movies are a lot of fun if you know the people and the places; they follow the typical pattern of Bond v. Bad Guy, including car and boat chase. 

When "Skyfall" came out a few years ago, the group of friends got in touch with the owner of Ludwigsburg's largest cinema and arranged for a première party for invited guests. I was one of them, and RJ and I went to the party. We didn't care all that much about "Skyfall", to be honest - a depressed Bond simply doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. But we laughed out loud at the home-made film that was shown before the main movie, and we had champagne and waited along the red carpet for the limousine carrying the "stars" - the guys I've known since I was about 12 years old.


This year, the première for "Spectre" went pretty much the same way. The cinema was packed, every last one of the 430 seats was taken by friends and family of the film team. Instead of Daniel Craig and Lea Seydoux walking up the red carpet and clinking glasses with the première guests, Volker "Bond", Ralf "Kaftan", their friends as "Twin Towers" and their wives as "Bond Girls" arrived in front of the cinema amidst a cheering crowd and flashing lights from numerous cameras.


Their home-made movie was once again a lot of fun, and this time, I also found the real Bond movie entertaining (although I still think Christoph Waltz wasn't at his best). We had a fun night out, meeting some of my former class mates and their families and enjoying the general mood at the private cinema party. Still, I'll never be a Bond fan, and certainly wouldn't have spent any money on going to the cinema had it only been to see "Spectre".

I went to the party dressed as my very own version of a Bond Girl. Did I succeed? 

14 comments:

  1. What fun, and you definitely look like a Bond girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the hair, I guess ;-)
      (Hairdresser's appointment next week... they are definitely too long for my liking now.)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic idea! You do indeed look very Bond girl like, almost a 'Moonraker' Style outfit there.
    My parents used to take us to see each Bond film when we were kids but I admit I'm not a fan since then.
    Me and hubby did go to see Spectre and I honestly thought that while it was fairly good it was way too long and a little convoluted.
    I love your and your friends idea more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen :-)
      It was indeed very long - the longest "Bond" ever, I've been told - and especially the chasing and fighting scenes could have been half their length, what with the outcome being always clear from the start anyway (Bond gets away, the baddies get killed or at least knocked unable to pursue).

      Delete
  3. You look very "Bond Girl"! And what a fun event it sounds. I agree I wouldn't go to see the film but it must have been so nice to go with all those friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! Yes, it was a fun event, and the actual film was secondary.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing story..
    And fabulous outfit!
    I enjoyed Spectre...but more because of Daniel than "Bond"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fi! Daniel Craig is not really my type, but I do admit he has a great body ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hello BOND GIRL!
    What a fun post! And how I wish I could have gone with you even though Daniel Craig is not my favorite James Bond! I thought the best thing about Skyfall was the song, that's all!
    And I doubt I will see the new one. Casting is everything to me in a movie and they really need to have a new James Bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay :-)
      As I am not a fan of the Bond movies, I can perfectly well understand your decision not to see the new one. Not sure a new actor as Bond would make a difference to me - it's the whole action-thing that is not "my world" when it comes to movies, regardless of the actors or the story.

      Delete
  6. As one of the Bond girls in Spectre has taken my real name, both spelt correctly, perhaps in spirit I could have been there with you at your Bond film evening.

    In spite of being Mrs Madeleine Swann not Doctor Madeleine Swann I doubt I shall be seeing the film, noisy car chases are not my 'thing'. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are the real character behind the Bond girl, Madeleine :-) That's really funny!
      Seeing as car chases are not your thing (mine neither), you do well not to see this film. There are so many other films to choose from that come entirely without the noise and action, but are just as (or even more so) entertaining.

      Delete
  7. What tremendous fun. I can't pretend that I'm Bond fan but a few years ago in NZ I decided that I really had to 'educate' myself in two series: Bond and Star Wars. I watched all the Star Wars movies and about half a dozen Bond ones. I rather enjoyed the way total escapism of the early Bond and the sheer amount of stunts in the later ones. The only time I go to the movies is when I take the children or to watch something like the Metropolitan Opera on movie. I'd have loved your evening though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fun event, Graham, but as I said in my post, I am not a Bond fan, either, and wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see the film had it not been for the party and the home-made film of my former school mates.
      Star Wars was never my thing - I am a Star Trek girl - but Steve loved it and I watched the original Star Wars films on DVD with him, more than once.

      Delete