Sunday 22 November 2015

Read in 2015 - 34: Das Barocke Herz der Stadt

Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart in Baden-Württemberg, South Germany, is the place where I was born and have been living nearly all my life. It is not only my hometown on paper but also very much so in my heart. You've often seen parts of it - the palace grounds, the parks, the view from my kitchen window - featuring on my blog, and earlier this year, I've decided to add a new label on my blog for those Ludwigsburg-specific posts.

I love reading about my town's history, such as this book, or seeing Ludwigsburg from a different perspective as usual, such as here.


Therefore, when I saw this book at my parents', I asked to borrow it, and have finished reading it this week. The title means "The Town's Baroque Heart", referring to the market square. It tells the story not only of how the first markets here came about, but also talks of what else has been taking place here over the past 300 years.
2015 was the 300th anniversary of the weekly markets on this square; a fitting occasion to publish such a book.

Compared to most of the surrounding towns and villages, Ludwigsburg is a young city. There was nothing but woodland here until the year 1704, when the then Duke of Württemberg, Eberhard Ludwig, decided he wanted a "small hunting lodge" built for him and his hunting parties to use when they were in the area.
The house soon grew into a palace, and the idea of having a town next to it was born. At first, not many people wanted to live here. But when the Duke promised to not only supply building material for private housing but also offered the first 10 years tax-free, the small settlement around the palace began to expand.
As of 2015, Ludwigsburg has more than 90.000 inhabitants.

The market is still a regular feature: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays it's groceries, flowers, cheese, meat, fish, bread etc. One chapter in the book introduces some of the exhibitors. Some families have been selling their produce on the market for generations, while others are relative newcomers. But they all agree on that they feel like part of a family on the square, occupying the same spot week after week.

Then there are the yearly events such as the big Market Square Festival, held in the summer, and of course the wonderful Christmas Market (which I have talked about before on this blog, for instance here), which starts next Tuesday.

Old photographs and drawings show what the square looked like at various points in history. At times there were trees surrounding the fountain in its centre with Eberhard Ludwig's statue on it, and for decades, it was used as a parking lot (I remember that from my childhood). Today, there are neither trees nor cars on the square, but it is what it was designed to be: the place for markets and festivals, for meeting friends, sit in the sun, have a drink or an ice cream in the summer, or find presents for your loved ones at Christmas time.

The last part of the book contains recipes handed in by readers of Ludwigsburg's daily paper, all cooked with ingredients fresh from the market.

I really enjoyed this book; a great present for anyone who knows and loves Ludwigsburg. 
The author, Beate Volmari, is a journalist with a background in art history and archaeology.     

22 comments:

  1. Seems like a fine read indeed, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably a fine read only for those who know the place; other people will not be particularly interested in the rather unspectacular past and present of my hometown :-)

      Delete
  2. The trees around the well on the market place once saved the life of your grandmother and your uncle! She was with her little son (born 1939) in the pram downtown, and when she crossed the market place, there came low-flying aircrafts and shot down to the citicens. Most of them run under the trees to be hidden, and as I know this time nobody was hurt, they flew away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me of that story, Mum - I know I've heard it before, just didn't think of it when putting together this review.

      Delete
  3. We visited Ludwigsburg often when we lived in Stuttgart and remember the Market well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 14 km north of Stuttgart; I'm glad you took the time to visit often!

      Delete
  4. I remember being in Ludwigsburg only once more than 20 years ago. The castle gardens still stand out in my mind they were so beautiful!! You live in a gorgeous town - lucky you!! :) xo Silke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised you visited Ludwigsburg at all, Silke - it's not exactly near Münster, is it :-)
      Yes, I do feel lucky for being able to call this place home.

      Delete
  5. This book looks quite wonderful....I collect local history books for my area and also the area around Lake Chautauqua where our cottage is. But our history is shorter....Bath Township was only begun in 1803 pr 4.
    I liked hearing your mother's story and was very glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kristi, I remember you mentioning going to local history talks when you're at the cottage by the lake.
      Some of the surrounding villages and smaller towns have been first mentioned in documents 1.200 years ago. At one corner of what is Ludwigsburg today, we have the remains of a Roman villa (I think I have blogged about it), and nearby Asperg was clearly settled already centuries before that.

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful that so many European countries still have an active, busy market square, which is used by locals and a true part of the community. Those kind of markets have mostly been lost in the UK, although not everywhere. There are still some great markets in Yorkshire towns, for example. But it's a lovely tradition. I hope you'll share some photos of your local Christmas Market when you visit it, I know it's something you've been looking forward to. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be taking my camera along tonight, Gillian!
      Yes, Ripon has a good market going on Thursdays, and a smaller version on Saturdays. My sister and I have bought our groceries there this summer, and my mother-in-law is a regular customer. I love it about Ripon market that there are so many other stalls, too, not just groceries. You can buy handbags, bed sheets, birthday cards, mobile phone cases, shoes and pet beds and so on, nothing of which is for sale at a typical German market.

      Delete
  7. I am sure the book is nice but I don't need to read it, I have your blog!
    (Not that I could read it, since it looks as if it is only in GERMAN, but you get the idea, right?)
    I would love to see the CHRISTMAS market! AND the CASTLE gardens! AND to go on long walks there!
    You live in a beautiful part of the world and I know you appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed, Kay, and I am glad you appreciate it too through my blog.
      This time, my book review was not meant as a recommendation to my regular blog readers, more as a reminder to myself - I keep track of what I have been reading that way. I know hardly any of my friends in blogland understand German, or would be interested in reading an entire book about my home town ;-)
      You know you'd be welcome for a visit here any time, Kay! (And you know that I am not just saying it, I mean it!)

      Delete
  8. I wish I felt such fondness for my hometown! It's a sad, poor, uneducated little dot on the map that wouldn't interest anybody. Going back there depresses me and when my parents pass away I doubt I'll ever see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to read that, Jennifer. To me, my hometown really means a lot (as you can tell from my blog), and I consider myself very lucky that I can live here and do not have to flee from it to save my life, like millions of people have to do.

      Delete
  9. I love it that you've given your town its own label. You are my German connection in the world. And I suspect that is true for many bloggers. Like most Americans, I can speak only one language, and I am constantly amazed at your English. You have given all your readers such a gift. I so enjoy seeing Germany, and learning about it. I wanted to tell you about a blog entry you may like. You had told me about Emil and the Detectives, and this person writes about him and another book by him. http://www.annabookbel.net/2015/11/19/a-childrens-classic-for-german-literature-month/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nan, thank you for your lovely comment! I didn't expect my blog to have such an effect on you, and feel really flattered.
      Thank you for the link to annabookbel's blog - I'll definitely have a look at that!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes Librarian your blog has meant so much to me too. I read you every morning with my coffee and travel with you to the most beautiful town in Germany. I've explored your surroundings and read of your life with real interest and pure joy at learning about a world so different from my own. Keep writing! Keep taking photos! Keep going on "walks!" I enjoy going with you.

      Delete
    3. Jill, that is so kind of you! How wonderful that through other people's blogs we can cross boundaries in more than one way. Like you, I "travel" along with Monica in Sweden, Neil in Yorkshire, Fiona in NZ and Kay in the US (and several others - these are just examples) every morning with my coffee. I have learned a lot about life in different places, and certainly don't want to miss blogging (both as a reader and a writer) anytime soon from my life.

      Delete
    4. In case anyone else is interested, the German author wrote the book that The Parent Trap movie is based on!

      Delete